Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Who has had trouble with the Throw-out Bearing on their 6 speed manual transmission ?

Throwout Bearing Trouble on 6 speeds?

254K views 607 replies 136 participants last post by  norm356 
#1 · (Edited)
Throwout Bearing Trouble on 6 speeds (lots of tech and pics contained within)

UPDATE : PDM now produces a kit for our trucks, thanks to everyone's participation in this thread. I thought I'd update this OP to say this thread has turned into a pretty decent tech & pictures piece. If you have a 6 speed stick, this is worth a look.

I think by now it's fairly obvious that Toyota has a problem with the RA61F 6 speed manual transmission. This has been well discussed on this board as well as the Tacoma World site (TSB for T/O Bearing Issue: - Page 5 - Tacoma World Forums). BTW, the Tacoma has the same transmission and has been having the exact same trouble since it's 2005 model year ! Besides the clutch disc problem, there is a more serious problem with the throwout bearing failing and ruining the pilot shaft it rides on. What makes this nasty is the fact that the pilot shaft is one piece with the entire bell housing (cast aluminum) and can't be replaced as a separate unit. You must have the entire bell housing replaced to properly repair the damage that results on the pilot shaft. That's not good news for owners who are no longer covered by warranty.

Is anyone interested in this approach to a repair :

PDM USA Tranquil Transmission Sleeve Kits

Unfortunately, PDM does not presently manufacture a kit for our trucks. However, I'm pretty sure I can convince them to produce one (hopefully helped out by this thread).

(NOTE : Based on the interest shown in this thread, PDM has agreed to start production of a kit for our trucks !):clap:

Also, I will mention here that on 12/22/2010, Toyota released a TSB #T-SB-0365-10 for the faulty TO Bearing problem.

Link to Toyota PDF document :

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...earing-trouble-6-speeds-fj-clutch-bearing.pdf

See less See more
#4 ·
Had 50k on mine. '07 TRD. Got it replaced under warranty. Now it is back, but very intermittent at 67k.

#6 ·
Unfortunately that won't help 100% of the FJ owners with a 6-speed, since they are all AWD. But I could see where you X-Runner guys would definitely want a different route instead of just a TSB...

#9 ·
If you dealer is a good one then it won't. I had my second one replaced and it is lasting very well. Of course that required a transmission change out as changing the bearing is a temporary fix.

#10 ·
@71roadrunner: Did you hear back from PDM?

This fix will only work if your quill has not been damaged correct? If it is has, you will need another transmission and bell housing?

On my 08 TT, I believe I can hear clutch chatter sometimes when I accelerate hard up hill. With the low miles I put on my rig per year, my standard warranty will expire before I reach the miles where this problem starts to be really noticeable.

#13 ·
How about intermittent squeaks on speed bumps or cornering?

Are these related to one of the Control Arms instead?

#15 ·
My FJ has the same damn problem! I have been dealing with this noise for 3 years now. They replaced the clutch and bearing at 20k but the noise was still there. They have greased it and lied to me and just keep f'n with me over this issue. I really am starting to hate Toyota. There is something wrong with some of these FJ's and other models. I hope Toyota figures this out because I'm tired of seeing the commercial "At Toyota our number 1 concern is safety and reliability" My Toy is 2007 FJ 6sp

#20 · (Edited)
#21 ·
While I'm waiting to hear back on pricing and availability date, I've asked the dealership to float this option as a fix to Toyota to see what they have to say. The dealership is holding off on tearing my tranny down again until I know if I will be able to get the sleeve in time (and what Toyota thinks about the proposal).

#23 ·
Just got this message from Joel Cox at PDM.

...Yes it is for the FJ, & 2006-7 Tundra. It replaces Toyota part #31230-60240. You can verify it with your dealer. Call & give them your VIN & ask for the part number.
The kits should be available early next week. The costs will be $195 plus S&H of $9 for ground, $18 for 2nd day, & $40 for o/nite...
Now, from what I understand, this won't fix the real problem which, from what I have read, is that
the root cause of the problem is the throwout release arm PIVOT point. It is aluminum and wears out. The newest bellhousing version contains a STEEL pivot point.
I don't have any proof that this new bellhousing exists. The kit from PDM, should however, protect the pilot shaft from being destroyed when the throwout release arm pivot point starts falling apart.

#24 ·
J

Now, from what I understand, this won't fix the real problem which, from what I have read, is that the existing pivot point is aluminum and wears out. The new bell housing has a steel pivot point.

I don't have any proof that this new bellhousing exists.

Yes, I was a little reluctant to say too much more for the time being with regard to the PDM kit. I have been trying to verify the existence of a new bell housing employing the 'new' steel pivot point. My closest dealer (50 miles one way) doesn't seem to be aware of it (& unless he's BS'g me, claims he's not really aware of any problems with the 6 speed stick TO bearings).

Does anyone know a service tech for a Toyota dealership who could help us out on this issue ? If there is indeed a new bell housing (with a steel pivot point instead of the aluminum) we really need to know this before anybody has any more work done on their truck.

#25 ·
I wonder if one of the Toyota supporting forum vendors would be able to investigate that for us? We've got like 5 of them on this forum, certainly one of them can find out for us.

Does anyone know a service tech for a Toyota dealership who could help us out on this issue ? If there is indeed a new bell housing (with a steel pivot point instead of the aluminum) we really need to know this before anybody has any more work done on their truck.

#26 ·
I'll let you know soon. I just returned from the dealership where they have my rig's guts on the floor and sure enough the output shaft (transmission quill) is nicely scored. They are awaiting authorization for a new housing, so I might find out first hand if it has been redesigned. I just hope that PDM is able to get these sleeves out the door in time to have it installed on my rig before the dealership has to put everything back together!

#30 ·
Anyone heard back from Joel with PDM recently? I hope that he is just very busy getting these kits ready, but I'm starting to think that it will come too late for me. I'd love to install his kit on my rig and see how it holds up, but I can't keep the dealership waiting to put everything back together indefinitely (right now every hour matters).

Any one have a better idea of when, exactly, these kits will be out the door?

On a less self-serving note, I hope to have a better idea about this new bell housing tomorrow, but will post what I find out (or better yet will post photos as long as they don't get it in before I get back over there).

#31 ·
Best to just call PDM and see if you can get one. 877-736-2775

Anyone heard back from Joel with PDM recently? I hope that
he is just very busy getting these kits ready, but I'm starting to think that it will come too late for me. I'd love to install his kit on my rig and see how it holds up, but I can't keep the dealership waiting to put everything back together indefinitely (right now every hour matters).

#33 ·
there seems to be this amnesia in the auto industry that throwout bearings on aluminum quills can be a problem. I am sure the beancounters say do it, and the alloy men say Oh our new alloy can handle that no problem. 2 or 3 cars I have had to put sleeves over aluminum quills.

no issues on the FJ yet though.

#34 ·
I heard back from Joel and things are looking up! He will be ready to ship Monday, and the dealership is willing to wait until then to put everything together. Looks like I'll be able to give a good first-hand report on both the bell housing and the new sleeve! But you'll have to wait until Tuesday...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.