Shuddering transmission problems =( - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids This area is for discussion, questions and problems with the FJ Cruiser's gear train, including topics on A-TRAC, VSC, locking diffs, gear ratios, manual vs. AT, etc.

173Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 952 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Shuddering transmission problems =(

well my story isnt nearly as long as some of the stories i have read here about a shuddering transmission. I have a 2007 A/T with 63,000 miles.I started having problems with the shuddering 2 weeks ago. After a week of it getting worse and worse i took it into the dealership. i left it this last monday and got a call from the tech asking all the details. I told him it was shuttering at 1500 rpm around 25 mph and near 40mph. The tech called back saying he took it for a test drive and felt the problem. he would need to keep the fj overnight. Two days later i got a call from someone at the dealership saying they had a toyota rep in the area and he gave the problem a look. The diagnosis was my transmission is shot and that i would need a new one. I bought the fj used from a nissan dealership and so my extended warranty was through nissan. A nissan warranty rep came to the dealership to check everything out and he approved all of the work. I am now in a rental car 5 days later and my fj should be out of the shop by monday with a brand new trans. I am very happy with how Garden Grove toyota has taken care of the problem fairly quickly.
daltondrose, EDFONG, ASWH1 and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 952 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 02:54 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: Shuddering transmission problems =(

So what failed on the transmission ? Good to hear you were taken care of.

Silly Wabbit
Mods:
BFG AT's, stone guard,vent visors,window tint,blacked out bezel/rear bumper.
Joels grab handles. See Avatar.
Demello front winch bumper/center hoop/Acro lights
Titan 12k winch,recovery gear
Scangauge II
Joel's FJC badge
Gobi Ladder
Custom rock rails
Quick Fist Clamps
Tuffy security console
Joel's shifters

Future Mods:
Demello rear bumper

http://www.fjcruisersontario.com/wordpress/
post #3 of 952 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 08:39 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 226 Post(s)

Good to hear that all is going well on the repair and replacement. As mentioned above, what caused the failure? 63K on a tranny is not alot of miles. I think a flush and filter change once a year is cheap insurance when it comes to ATs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 952 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 08:47 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Flush and fill is tough when the dealership tells you it doesn't need to be done....grrr
ASWH1 and Nashvlldjc like this.

'07 FJ, C package, 5A, Ti

mods so far
Mod, mod, and more mods and it still looks way to friggin' stock.....grrrrr

Love my truck.....Love my forum

http://www.fjnortheasters.org/forum/

The Northeastest Northeaster
post #5 of 952 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 10:22 AM

Just took mine in this morning to replace shuddering Tranny. 140,000km. Toyota said they'd pay 1/3 ,dealer will pay 1/3 and i'm on the hook for 1/3 ($1500). Starting to think this is going to be an on going problem with higher mileage FJ's
post #6 of 952 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 11:07 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I'm wondering it this is the torque convertor going bad or if it really is the entire trans.

It would be really nice to know what EXACTLY is failing here.

DEWFPO

2007 FJ, 5AT, Sun Fusion Yellow, CQ, UP, GY, RB, 2Q, EL, VS.

Engine Block Heater, '08 Cyclone Pre-Filter, Dual horns, Phillips Osram 70W/65W H4's, RockBlocker and 3M Clear Film, Toyota RearSight Backup Camera, Ultra-Gauge MX 1.3.

"Enjoying the Journey"

"Wanted - young, skinny, wiry fellows, not over 18. Must be expert riders willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred"
Original newspaper add placed by William Hepburn Russell, founder of the The Pony Express
post #7 of 952 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

So i am not 100% sure what the problem was exactly. All of the lingo the guy from the dealership said on the phone was a bit confusing to me. but i will get a definitive answer as to what failed in the transmission.
ASWH1 and Galan like this.
post #8 of 952 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Forum Regular

I am getting my truck back tomorrow for this same exact issue. The torque converter is failing or malfunctioning. The torque converter acts to stabilize the ride over bumpy roads by adjusting the torque to the wheels under different loads. They replace the whole tranny as a precautionary in case other issues in the trans are compounding it.

Bought my truck at a toyota dealer used and they are taking care of the cost and the cost of the tiny tiny little rental car they put me in.

post #9 of 952 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 12:04 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

would it be water in the torque converter. have any of you gone into any deep water in the past. by the look of the picture in your sig, you have been in some water. how hard is it to replace the thing myself. 100% it the torque converter? cause im getting the shutters too.. and a lil slip here and there. what would the cost be to rebuild a trans?

Last edited by Fjfromtherock; 02-13-2011 at 12:07 AM.
post #10 of 952 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 01:49 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Fjfromtherock previously said: View Post
would it be water in the torque converter. have any of you gone into any deep water in the past. by the look of the picture in your sig, you have been in some water. how hard is it to replace the thing myself. 100% it the torque converter? cause im getting the shutters too.. and a lil slip here and there. what would the cost be to rebuild a trans?
Its possible. I have been through some deep water. But the dealer had my car inspected by 2 of their shop foreman, and then had a 3rd party inspector come to verify it before they would authorize it being taken care of under warranty. They were obviously looking for a way to say it was my fault and not cover it. Thats how it seemed at least.

They never told me the cause for the failed torque converter, just that its a known issue yet very rare. After hearing the shudder stories on here it doesnt appear too rare.

They replaced the transmission as a whole as opposed to just the TC. The part alone is $800 or $900. There are some after market ones for $600. I would know how to install it because i believe it is part of the transmissions internal components.

Good luck with it all.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in