Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Ace Torque Converters TC (up or down)

6K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  cjcradier 
#1 ·
So I've got the shudders at 91K. I'm being philosophical about it, figuring if it was an MT I'd be doing a clutch job anyways at about the same labor cost.

I know a couple of you out there have used Ace Torque Converters for a replacement.

Anybody else care to comment? The price is right, 480 and change for what they claim is a way better than new rebuilt.

Any first-hand experience would be appreciated. Do they have them in-stock, or do you have to send them your core to be rebuilt?

What are you seeing as far as labor and materials (i.e. fluid, filters, gaskets) cost to R&R?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Are you sure your torque converter is bad? An engine miss-fire can feel like a bad torque converter shudder.

#3 ·
I am in the same boat my fj just developed the dreaded shudder. Every day I have this damn Toyota I think it is less and less engineered. Shame on Toyota for this, between the FJ and my wife's Camry these are the last Toyota's we will buy!!! On another note I just got off the phone with Andre at ACE converters and he came across as knowledgeable and willing to go the extra mile to rectify Toyota's screw up. And at a fare price I might add. He also gave me the link to his parent company edge racing converters and said please try to find something bad about my converters.

Jimmie I doubt its a miss fire. No characteristics present themselves as a miss fire. It is def. speed and rpm related. In fact I just told him what vehicle I had and told me the symptoms I was seeing.

So once I get back from vacation I will be pulling the transmission back to send the converter out. He also had no problem in lightning me as to what he does to correct the shudder, and explain how it will help improve the drive ability of the FJ. He also has a 1 year 100% satisfaction warranty.

#4 ·
OK I just wanted to to say that a miss fire can feel like a shudder. Usually a shudder will happen as the converter locks up and then quit. A miss fire will feel like a shudder but will continue as long as the engine is under a slight load and the converter is locked. When the converter unlocks the miss fire is no longer felt as the pulses are absorbed by the unlocked converter.

#5 ·
Not trying to be nasty with you. Sorry if I came across as such. I was trying to explain this feasco to my wife. And man it was exhausting!
I have had miss fires before and on those the motor has a dead spot. Ie loses power. This is like the truck is hopping in the rear end. Very annoying to say the least. He did give me a couple of pointers to help keep it from shuddering while we are on vacation.

#6 ·
OK, I gotcha. Have you ever had your transmission fluid changed before this chatter occurred? The reason I ask is because a non compatible ATF could cause a chatter

#7 ·
I have flushed the transmission 2 times in its 70000 life I try to do it every 30000 miles. In fact I just changed the fluid and I did notice it before and it got more pronounced after. I talked to Andre about the fluid I used and he said that that should work fine. And I also talked to IPT about transmission problems and such and he said dont run the toyota fluid get a good synthetic.

#8 ·
That's good advice. I use Redline D6 synthetic oil in my FJ. Good stuff. Good luck with your new torque converter. One thing I would recommend and I'm sure Andre would agree and that is to pull the pan on your trans before you take it out to change the converter. Make sure there is no converter metal or excessive converter clutch material in the pan. If there is any metal in there now's the time to inspect the trans before installing a new converter.

#9 ·
Well I just flushed 20 quarts through it and the last 5 came out as clean new fluid.

#10 · (Edited)
I was the first one to contact andra and no you will not have to send him the TC, unless he can't find a core. I had to pull mine to get all the codes so he could find a core to match. My FJC was down for 5 weeks, now he can send you a rebuilt core and only be down for a day or two depending on your mechanic. Shouldn't be more than 6 hours to change. I can't say enough good thing about it. Better gas mileage, more torque to the payment, faster shifts and better throtal response. I was blown away by how well the new TC performed. It was worth every penny. Before at 2000 rpms ( the gas saving zone ) I would hit 105 , 110 km/h. Now I'm at 115 120. I hope my first hand experience helps.

#11 ·
If I send him mine it will be cheaper and possitivly be the right one. He still needs the code off of mine. He said that there are 2 different codes it could be.
I'm glad you have had such possitive results. I surly can't wait to get this done!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.