Replacement of LF wheel speed sensor - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids This area is for discussion, questions and problems with the FJ Cruiser's gear train, including topics on A-TRAC, VSC, locking diffs, gear ratios, manual vs. AT, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Replacement of LF wheel speed sensor

I searched/googled about trying to find out the steps needed to replace my wheel speed sensor. I got a scan done and they said the following codes were showing up; C0205(LF wheel speed signal fault) and C1223(fault in ABS control system). From my understanding those two faults are pretty much the same thing.....correct? I hate playing with anything electrical, however I do believe it is just a basic plug/doohicky/part that needs to be replaced. Anything tricky about removing the old sensor so I don't have to bust out the BFH? Any pics/videos out there in cyberspace showing this being done?

In other words, who has replaced their sensor themselves and what was the process?

The dealership quoted me $223 just for the sensor and another $70-80 for labor to install. I haven't had a chance to see if anyone has them cheaper, but from my understanding, internally, they are very fragile and I don't know if having one shipped to me would be safe.

What say ye FJ forum????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Re: Replacement of LF wheel speed sensor

Devin,
If you haven't already, unplug your battery for a half hour or so. It may just be a fluke, and that may clear it out. If you do need the sensor hit up Wilson here on the forum. He'll get you a good price on one. If you need any help installing it let me know.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Thanks Brad, I did the battery method a couple times to no avail. I will root around it tomorrow and see if it might just be a loose connection somewhere. If not, I will get in touch with Wilson over @ TRDParts and get one ordered. If needed I will get in touch with you about the installation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Did you ever do the sensor install? I was getting the ABS/TRAC/WTF/GTL lights and tried the battery reset but as soon as I tapped the brake, the lights would come on again. So it's looking like I'll be changing out a wheel speed sensor.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

how was the install?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 09:54 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I know this is really old, but I just ran into this problem and had to take out both the right and left speed sensor to fix them.

Its (6) 10mm bolts. This first is at the speed sensor towards the front of the vehicle behind the wheel. This first one needs a flat head placed behind with a slight twist to get it off after the bolt comes out.

You can then follow them all the way up into the engine compartment. Every time you pull one of the bolts it will free up a bit of cable to the next bracket with a bolt.

In between the second and third bolt there is a clip which requires a pair of pliers behind it to release it.

On the drivers side there is also a clip between the last two bolts in line, you can release this one with your fingers.

Once out, the breaks in mine were at the 90 degree bend in the cable. I shaved back the sheathing with a blade, found the breaks, and then soldered a wire with some heat shrink to re-establish continuity.

When i put them back in all the lights went away

$500+ dollars saved in parts and labor, nobody wants to fix broken things anymore... not everything has to be replaced.

Good Luck

New FJ - 2011 Iceberg, TT Blackout Kit, Air Raid CAI, TRD Catback exhaust, Black TRD Wheels, Full stereo replacement with lots of sound deadening, projector headlights w/Halo, All other bulbs replaced w/LED, Bilstein 5100s

Old FJ - 2008 VooDoo Blue FJ
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 05:43 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 145 Post(s)

I just replaced my LF speed sensor. While removing the old one, the tip broke off. I ended up dissassembleing the hub to push the tip out. Installed the new one and still get the P0500 code. Speedometer works fine. No cruise control. All of the ABS, VSC lights come on.

WASP in Republic of Texas
2008 Sun Fusion
4x4 6-MT
Supercharged
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 06:15 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)

Quote:
WASP previously said: View Post
I just replaced my LF speed sensor. While removing the old one, the tip broke off. I ended up dissassembleing the hub to push the tip out. Installed the new one and still get the P0500 code. Speedometer works fine. No cruise control. All of the ABS, VSC lights come on.
Did you reset the computer or clear the code after replacing it? If so, maybe you have a pinched/broken wire in the harness.

Eric

2008 Sandstorm FJ
-Offroad pkg, trail gear sliders, 35x12.5x17 Nitto Trail Grappler on 17x9 Level 8 Bully Pro, Icon 2.5 Ext. Travel Coilovers, Light Racing UCA, MetalTech Long Travel Rear w/ Icon 2.5 remote res , EM rear UCA, MetalTech rear LCA, Icon panhard bar, 1/2" Bandi lift, Man-a-fre skids, TC A-arm skids, FJToyman shock skids, CB w/ Bandi mount, AFE HT exhaust, Demello front bumper, Warn M8000 w/ synthetic, 4.56 Gears, ARB locker, Safari Snorkel
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 06:32 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 145 Post(s)

I cleared the codes. One drive cycle gets a pending P0500, the second drive cycle trips the engine, VSC, abs...... Lights? Clear the code and repeat.

WASP in Republic of Texas
2008 Sun Fusion
4x4 6-MT
Supercharged
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 12:53 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
WASP previously said: View Post
I cleared the codes. One drive cycle gets a pending P0500, the second drive cycle trips the engine, VSC, abs...... Lights? Clear the code and repeat.
There is a speed sensor in your combination meter. This sensor reads off the speedometer. You can see this signal on a scanner. Common for this sensor to go bad which requires a new combination meter.

*All the work on this truck was done by me!*

<NO SNORKEL> _OME Lift -LR UCAs - DeMello FB - 12K# Winch - Hi Lift -Warn RB - TRD muff - Cobra CB / Bandi - A-Trk, Diff Lock, VSC, Chime Hacks - BMC -305-70-16 MTR's & Raceline Renegade's - Wolo - Hi Lift - Tube Grill - Ellis Shift Knbs - Silver Star H4s- Clazzio Leather - Blue Sea Panel - Optima Yellow - Kenwood DNX6980 - Oznium LED- Prodigy BC - SCUBA -Window Tint - Springtail Racks - Tru Cool 4454 - VIAIR Sys -AP Sliders-Ricochet HD Skids - BozTec Diff Skid - ToyTec LCAs & Panhard - Front ARB - 4:56 Gears - Smitty CO2 Cyl - AIRAID CAI - Baja Rack - Lowrance Baja

https://www.facebook.com/jim.eberhart

TCLA Member 4407

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in