Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

6 speed noise

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Smalldog 
#1 · (Edited)
Morning,

I recently traded my AT fj in for a 6 speed and love it. But had a question concerning a ball bearing like noise at idle. At idle with the clutch pedal up the sound can be heard once standing outside. It's almost like a lose bicycle chain. I was wondering if this is normal drive train chatter.

Thank you,

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
I think it's normal but.... is there a chirp, then when you depress the clutch the chirp stops?

#3 · (Edited)
The sound stops once the clutch pedal is pressed down. I have zero chirp when moving the pedal. Also I have a low growl in first gear almost a slightly elevated ball bearing noise on take off from 500-1500 rpm. I have been driving with the windows down and you really have to listen to it. But the sound at take off is what concerns me most. Fj had 8 miles on it so you never know if the guy that never drove stick moved at the dealer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
How many miles are on it? Your throwout bearing might be going bad.

#7 ·
Yea if you have the chirp and it stops after pressing the pedal, that may be the throwout bearing like Subverto said.

Hard to believe on an FJ with 8 miles, if so.

The gear and bearing noises in first are definitely normal. As are other noises and whines lol. Wait till you drop it in 4L :worried:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.