Transmission flush - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids This area is for discussion, questions and problems with the FJ Cruiser's gear train, including topics on A-TRAC, VSC, locking diffs, gear ratios, manual vs. AT, etc.

View Poll Results: When did you have your Transmission Flushed?
Earlier 3 4.92%
30k 3 4.92%
50k 11 18.03%
60k 14 22.95%
100k 20 32.79%
later 10 16.39%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 09:24 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Re: Transmission flush

Quote:
FJ_Ahoy previously said: View Post
And today I tried, one local dealer and was told by mechanic a service bulletin recommends against flush. He offered a drain and fill only.

I am a little conflicted but will continue to search.
I'd recommend you perform the DIY transmission flush as outlined in several threads including the "shuddering transmission" thread . If you can change your own oil, you can flush the trans in the FJ.

I used 3 gallons of fluid (I used Valvoline Maxlife ATF and had great results) and it came out cherry red by the time I was done. The instructions on this forum are spot on.

I also installed a Hayden 679 transmission cooler to keep the new fluid from getting cooked. You can add a cooler at the same time and kill two birds with one stone since you'll have your lines unhooked anyway.
Ole Blu, Puddles and FJ_Ahoy like this.

Last edited by Xlr8er; 09-13-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 11:51 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Actually around 36k, but then again around 65k, I'm at 77k and plan to flush again at 100-120k. When I do this I replace the filter/screen, so I can see if there is normal or abnormal wear of friction materials, thrusting/bearing surfaces and gearing.

The reason why we retain memories is because we are not caught in a time loop. The reason why we are not caught in a time loop is because it is not possible to go backwards in time only forward!
*CurbCrawler fabricated hidden front receiver.
*CurbCrawler fabricated Hi-Lift receiver mount.
*CurbCrawler fabricated SS dual battery tray & Walmart Battery.
*CurbCrawler fabricated 4-Gauge dash pod.
*CurbCrawler fabricated Aux fuse/relay panel.
Gibson cat-back exhaust (Dyno Proven)
Complete set of aluminum skid plates.
Receiver mounted 9k-lb rear winch.
Hayden trans cooler w/electric fan.
Factory rock rails.
Moon roof.
LED fog & backup lights.
Husky mats: front, center & rear.
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage

I need to change my after reading [email protected],000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

It's been awhile since I've been on the forum for some advice, I'm glad that I checked in again! I actually just went through the nightmare of being rejected and redoing my password only to be rejected again after writing a lengthy post and hitting enter!

I bought my 08 FJ in January with 98k on her. Then after discovering this forum and reading about the shuddering transmission, I got a bit alarmed. I was used to buying Toyota 4Runners with over 100k and putting another 200k on them with not much worry. Anyway, after spending some time at my local VA hospital I'm back on track to get my transmission up to par. I did some searching for a dealership that had some good reviews of their service departments and couldn't find a single one in the DFW area! So I researched the transmission shops and I think I found one that will do a "flush" for $180. I'm going to visit the shop to make sure it's a flush and not a drain and fill. I really wish I could do it myself but I've had to learn not to push it. I promise I will come back to the forum and share what I learn. There has to be a few other FJ owners in this area that would like to know where they can take their trucks to get honest service.

Thank you for your service!

Last edited by Ole Blu; 09-16-2016 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Mistakes
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I did my at 70K.

I check with a couple of Xmission places to get a price and they unanimously didn't want to do it and recommended I take it to Toyota because Xmission places did not have machine to flush the cooler and lines. I could have done it myself but elected to have it but chose to have the system flushed.

Maybe one of the Toyota Tech members here can chime in.

IMO the drain and refill works if, as most of you do, drain and replace the fluid more often. Any residual oil from the previous change does not have time to cause damage.
Ole Blu likes this.

All-Pro skids, Stubbs Welding HD-SKO Rock Sliders, FT-8800R, Icon Stage 2, and 285/17/75 Cooper Discovery Maxx tires.
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 08:59 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
VooDoo Blue 57 previously said: View Post
I did my at 70K.

I check with a couple of Xmission places to get a price and they unanimously didn't want to do it and recommended I take it to Toyota because Xmission places did not have machine to flush the cooler and lines. I could have done it myself but elected to have it but chose to have the system flushed.

Maybe one of the Toyota Tech members here can chime in.

IMO the drain and refill works if, as most of you do, drain and replace the fluid more often. Any residual oil from the previous change does not have time to cause damage.
There is no need to do a complete fluid replacement if your fluid is still clean. If your fluid is dark purple to black then by all means do a complete excahnge. The word FLUSH is a misnomer as this process is just a fluid exchange. Never let anyone use any chemicals to perform a FLUSH. And finally there is no difference between using a professional machine or the hose and busket method. Both do exactly the same thing. If you are unsure about your transmission or if you just bought the vehicle second hand I would do a complete fluid exchange. A complete exchange can take 20 quarts if the fluid is dirty. This way you know exactly what type of fluid is in your transmission. From that point on just do a drain and fill (4 Quarts) every 30K
Ole Blu likes this.

*All the work on this truck was done by me!*

<NO SNORKEL> _OME Lift -LR UCAs - DeMello FB - 12K# Winch - Hi Lift -Warn RB - TRD muff - Cobra CB / Bandi - A-Trk, Diff Lock, VSC, Chime Hacks - BMC -305-70-16 MTR's & Raceline Renegade's - Wolo - Hi Lift - Tube Grill - Ellis Shift Knbs - Silver Star H4s- Clazzio Leather - Blue Sea Panel - Optima Yellow - Kenwood DNX6980 - Oznium LED- Prodigy BC - SCUBA -Window Tint - Springtail Racks - Tru Cool 4454 - VIAIR Sys -AP Sliders-Ricochet HD Skids - BozTec Diff Skid - ToyTec LCAs & Panhard - Front ARB - 4:56 Gears - Smitty CO2 Cyl - AIRAID CAI - Baja Rack - Lowrance Baja

https://www.facebook.com/jim.eberhart

TCLA Member 4407

post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 10:18 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to iwashmycar

I drain and refill the pan every 10K...which comes to every 18 months or so. Started doing that at 60K and an almost to 100 now. Going to do it again then as well as the cooling ssytem.

-Adam

'07 Black Diamond 4WD AT UR

TLCA #22985
295s | 3" | BL | Lights | Armor | Rails | Snorkel | CB | Dent(s)
Feb. 2017 Member of the Month
In the Midwest? OHIO FJ Owners
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 12:51 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Garage

I'm at 29K right now and am thinking about doing a drain and fill when I hit 30, a small price to pay for peace of mind
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Hi Jimmiee ! Sorry, it's been awhile since I've been on the forum. Now that I'm able, I've been trying to get my transmission flush done like you advised me to do. Like I said in my comments, I've been trying to find a reliable and honest service center to get it done. I don't trust any of the dealerships in the DFW area. I went by the reviews from several sources. I think for the most part, their customers are people trying to follow the rules laid out by their warranties. I think I told you about how the dealership tacked on an extended warranty that I made them remove. I still get alert letters telling me to be quick to sign up for the warranty before it's too late. Anyway, after a difficult summer, I'm trying to find a place where I can get the flush done. I found a transmission shop with high marks that said that they have the "special tool" needed to do it, and it will cost $180. I'm concerned about the "special tool" and the low cost compared to the $480 quote from one of the dealerships. As I understand it, it's a pump system that's used. I'm going to go to the shop on Monday to check things out. Any thoughts?

Thank you for your service!
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 07:33 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Ole Blu previously said: View Post
Hi Jimmiee ! Sorry, it's been awhile since I've been on the forum. Now that I'm able, I've been trying to get my transmission flush done like you advised me to do. Like I said in my comments, I've been trying to find a reliable and honest service center to get it done. I don't trust any of the dealerships in the DFW area. I went by the reviews from several sources. I think for the most part, their customers are people trying to follow the rules laid out by their warranties. I think I told you about how the dealership tacked on an extended warranty that I made them remove. I still get alert letters telling me to be quick to sign up for the warranty before it's too late. Anyway, after a difficult summer, I'm trying to find a place where I can get the flush done. I found a transmission shop with high marks that said that they have the "special tool" needed to do it, and it will cost $180. I'm concerned about the "special tool" and the low cost compared to the $480 quote from one of the dealerships. As I understand it, it's a pump system that's used. I'm going to go to the shop on Monday to check things out. Any thoughts?
The special tool they are referring to is probably the fluid exchange machine. The flush can be done without it but it does make it easier. The expense from the flush comes from the amount of ATF used to do the flush. The machine has a clear glass bubble that lets you see the red oil going in and the dirty oil coming out. The goal is to get the dirty oil coming out back to a red color. This can take from 10 to 20 quarts depending on how dirty the fluid is.
I would call around and ask how much they charge and how many quarts of oil that includes. Call Jiffy Lube. They seem to have a pretty fair price and they have the machine. Since the FJ has no dipstick it's nice to be able to see the color of the fluid and know you have removed all the dirty oil.
Ole Blu likes this.

*All the work on this truck was done by me!*

<NO SNORKEL> _OME Lift -LR UCAs - DeMello FB - 12K# Winch - Hi Lift -Warn RB - TRD muff - Cobra CB / Bandi - A-Trk, Diff Lock, VSC, Chime Hacks - BMC -305-70-16 MTR's & Raceline Renegade's - Wolo - Hi Lift - Tube Grill - Ellis Shift Knbs - Silver Star H4s- Clazzio Leather - Blue Sea Panel - Optima Yellow - Kenwood DNX6980 - Oznium LED- Prodigy BC - SCUBA -Window Tint - Springtail Racks - Tru Cool 4454 - VIAIR Sys -AP Sliders-Ricochet HD Skids - BozTec Diff Skid - ToyTec LCAs & Panhard - Front ARB - 4:56 Gears - Smitty CO2 Cyl - AIRAID CAI - Baja Rack - Lowrance Baja

https://www.facebook.com/jim.eberhart

TCLA Member 4407

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in