Another 4WD not working question - please help - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids This area is for discussion, questions and problems with the FJ Cruiser's gear train, including topics on A-TRAC, VSC, locking diffs, gear ratios, manual vs. AT, etc.

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Re: Another 4WD not working question - please help

Quote:
FJtest previously said: View Post
The switches are easily tested with a digital multimeter. In 2WD range, the switch is OPEN, and the resistance should be multi-megohms. In 4WD range, the switch is CLOSED, and the resistance should be less than 0.5 ohm.
this visual may help along with FJtest comment above,

released = open/2WD
pushed = closed/4WD

debFJVT likes this.

Last edited by FJ_Ahoy; 11-26-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 11:41 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)

Assuming that you have a good quality multimeter that can resolve .10 ohm, and that you can "zero-out" probe resistance, anything more than .5 ohm when the switch is "closed" probably indicates some degradation of the contacts (contamination, tarnish, etc.) within the switch.

On the other end of the scale, 10K ohms when the switch is "open" probably indicates some degradation of the switch seal, with some moisture inside.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 08:09 PM

DEBFJVT, do you have more pictures where you pulled the illumination wiring for it? and it did you create its own ground, or shared a ground with another switch back there?

any input greatly appreciated,

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 12:34 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)

Quote:
oldmangarth previously said: View Post
(snip)

- When we say we have a "bad switch" what are we saying? Are we saying there is an electrical component in the switch that is bad but the mechanical part is good? Is this the part that keeps failing? (snip) Thanks.
I have performed failure analysis on several of these transfer case switches, and put together a detailed failure analysis report with photos showing the internal construction of the switches and exactly what failed.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...diff-lock.html

The root cause of the failure was the same in all cases: internal contamination of the switch contacts by gear oil. All of these switches have the same design and are subject to the same failure mode.

Make sure that your transmission and transfer case breathers are clear to prevent any buildup of internal pressure that might tend to force gear oil into the switches.

However, I think the actual failure rate is quite low, maybe only a few percent. Test your 4WD, LO RANGE and DIFF LOCK functions regularly (or at least immediately before any challenging off-roading) to make sure that everything works BEFORE you get in a situation where you truly NEED 4WD or a locked rear diff.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 01:22 AM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 216 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
FJ_Ahoy previously said: View Post
DEBFJVT, do you have more pictures where you pulled the illumination wiring for it? and it did you create its own ground, or shared a ground with another switch back there?

any input greatly appreciated,

Thank you
Only have a few pics from the install and not sure if they'll answer your question anout the switch illumination - actulally didn't like the way this particular switch worked so ended up pulling the "bright/on" function so it's the same level whether on or off. Used a screw near the shifter for ground. I can easily pull the switch out and take pics of the back if you need - happy to help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1725.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	353.4 KB
ID:	964306   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1721.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	964314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1726.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	964322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1724.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	364.0 KB
ID:	964330  
FJ_Ahoy likes this.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 01:17 PM

Well I did the button hack, used the existing pigtail of transfer case switch, but it still doesn't tell computer to deactivate stability control nor does it get the 4x4 green light going.....Sigh....

I did test the transfer case switch resistance...it read above 1 ohm when closed 4x4 when it should have read below.....

I will be getting another switch and hopefully that will do it....but now I fear, if its not the switch, is it the 4x4 ecu (in glove box ) or the skid control ecu ( under the hood position up from battery )

the plot thickens.
debFJVT likes this.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 01:56 PM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 216 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
FJ_Ahoy previously said: View Post
Well I did the button hack, used the existing pigtail of transfer case switch, but it still doesn't tell computer to deactivate stability control nor does it get the 4x4 green light going.....Sigh....

I did test the transfer case switch resistance...it read above 1 ohm when closed 4x4 when it should have read below.....

I will be getting another switch and hopefully that will do it....but now I fear, if its not the switch, is it the 4x4 ecu (in glove box ) or the skid control ecu ( under the hood position up from battery )

the plot thickens.
You're 100% certain you spliced into switch #3 ? I was worried it was one of my ECUs as well, but happily the new ADD has solved the problem for me. Good luck with the ECU testing - probably easier to do than swap that TC switch from what I understand.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 02:12 PM

indeed I did, its the single one on the passenger side, easiest one to get to....I replaced it once last year, and here I am a year later getting C1258 again for a failed switch....manual DTC states to check switch and test SKID ECU and 4x4 ECU for specific voltages to confirm they are in spec.
debFJVT likes this.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 06:15 PM

Well quick update, it was my Front ADD....all is in working order now....got a new on eBay $185 bucks. 20 bucks in 75-90 oil....and some help from my pops.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in