Anyone using 75W140 Differential Fluid - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids This area is for discussion, questions and problems with the FJ Cruiser's gear train, including topics on A-TRAC, VSC, locking diffs, gear ratios, manual vs. AT, etc.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Anyone using 75W140 Differential Fluid

Have the notorious differential whining in my 07 FJ with 90K miles - itís light but annoying. I drained and replaced the rear differential with Amsoil 75W90 and added Lubeguard Limited slip additive. The noise reduced a little. I have read that going to a heavier weight 75W140 would be ideal. The lighter weight stuff was developed for fuel efficiency in mind while the heavier weight is better for lubrication and differential noise. Any thoughts or concerns going with the heavier weight gear oil? Thanks.
YEGFJ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 06:21 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Anyone using 75W140 Differential Fluid

I've been using Castrol 75w140 for quite a few years in two FJs and other cars and I think it works great. I don't think it will be of any help if you diff is already noisy, but if you end up replacing it, I'd stick with 75W140 since break-in.

'07 Black cherry with a lot of OEM upgrades, OEM rear diff replacement, Bilstein 5100 kit, heated mirrors mod, HEL brake lines
'08 Black, Bilstein 5100 kit, heated mirrors mod
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 04:47 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

I run Lucas (Non-Synthetic) 85w140. For me it appears to have reduced some of the clunking I'd get when shifting gears (manual transmission). It still clunks when shifting but doesn't seem as harsh (yes everything is lubed) and is good enough that I can live with it.

East Coast Gear Supply has some notes of their Gear Oil opinions on their site. Make of it what you will.

https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/ft-2...mendation.html
bazross and debFJVT like this.

2007 Voodoo Blue FJ
Instagram @fjcruza
  • Front: Bilstein 5100's, notch 1, Eibach 2" springs, Wheeler's 3/8" and 1/4" spacers.
  • Rear: Fox 2.0 shocks with 2" Toytec Superflex 2.0p springs.
  • Misc: Manual transmission, 285/70R17 Cooper ATP's.
  • Gear: Cabelas roof basket, All-Pro sliders, 130 Amp alternator, Metaltech hitch, 30Ē lightbar, 2 yellow fog lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I bought a 2010 FJ and just started changing my fluids. Today I changed the rear differential over to 75W-140W Royal Purple synthetic. It made the rear end very quiet. It also made the rear locker easier to engage. Now it locks almost immediately. I'm impressed. I'm a big fan of enhanced synthetic lubricants. The original oil was clean but I think there are some very good oils that really work. If you care about your rig change the oil!
FJFool and YEGFJ like this.

Last edited by stephous; 10-20-2018 at 04:27 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Great info - many thanks. I changed the rear dif with Amsoil 75w90 severe gear and Lubeguard Platinum and the whirling sound did not change. Actually it became a little louder. I read that the fluidity of synthetics is not always beneficial and to stick with Dino oils since they seem to stick better to the gears. I may try Amsoil 75w140. The heavier weight may help the whirling and still be ok to use in a cold winter unlike Dino140 which may thicken up to much for an FJ that uses w90. Any thoughts?
YEGFJ likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 06:17 PM

I'm so happy with the Royal Purple 75W-140W that I'm going to try the 85W-140W next oil change. I had some slight lash in my gears but I'm not ready to replace bearings just for that. The slight wine at 40 MPH is gone now. The only time I hear anything is when I pull a long hill and get off the throttle. I drive my trucks pretty hard so better lubricants are a good for me. 85W-140W and I can live with the consequences.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 09:22 PM
Forum Beer Miester

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

ECGS only wants you to use Lucas 85/140 after differential swaps because that’s really the best high heat high friction oil out there in their opinion. I’ve had it in both diffs since swapping to 4.88’s and it’s awesome, when I change it the stuff looks brand new.
debFJVT likes this.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 11:42 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2442 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Thats what I use too. ^^^ Gotta case sitting in my garage.
Thorn661 likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 07:12 PM

I'm going to try Lucas 85W140 next gear oil change. Along with the Royal Purple 75W140 I added Lubegard Limited Slip Friction Modifier. It says " also for use with standard differentials ". 0 noise from the rear end now! Really quiet. I'm impressed. In order for any of these lubricants to work your gears have to be in decent shape. I also noticed that my entire drive line was dry. Greasing it took car of a whole list of other issues like the bump. Still working my way from back to front!!!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Rocketman777 previously said: View Post
Great info - many thanks. I changed the rear dif with Amsoil 75w90 severe gear and Lubeguard Platinum and the whirling sound did not change. Actually it became a little louder. I read that the fluidity of synthetics is not always beneficial and to stick with Dino oils since they seem to stick better to the gears. I may try Amsoil 75w140. The heavier weight may help the whirling and still be ok to use in a cold winter unlike Dino140 which may thicken up to much for an FJ that uses w90. Any thoughts?
Hello audience...after driving my 2002 Sequoia for better part of +12yrs as my winter beater it was time to sell it, and, I recently purchased a low mileage (130,000 km) 2007 Toyota FJ. I like it and it’s a slight adjustment from a behemoth 7-seater to a wee 5-seater. Anyhow, I didn’t notice the owl-like whooooing sound that eminates at approx 60-80km/hr (40-50mph), and it seems this a sounding like a somewhat of a trait of this vehicle. I’m going to immediately switch out the rear differential fluid to Amsoil 75w140, and report to this forum if the noise goes away or at least minimized.

But more so, is there something that needs to be replaced in the rear differential , or can be remedied by simply the fluid change???? Comments would be appreciated.

Last edited by YEGFJ; 10-31-2018 at 12:59 AM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in