Weird trans issue - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids This area is for discussion, questions and problems with the FJ Cruiser's gear train, including topics on A-TRAC, VSC, locking diffs, gear ratios, manual vs. AT, etc.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By jw99
  • 1 Post By MP6989

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Weird trans issue

I just bought a used 2007 with 131k. Itís in really great shape.. but when driving on level ground under light throttle when the trans shifts from 3rd to 4th it acts like its searching, best described as a delay? Under heavier throttle itís shifts normally, Iím not sure it fits in the Shuddering post or not, it doesnít vibrate, no noise whatsoever,
Stock size tires, TRD exhaust, and lifted with spacers 2Ē... the used car dealer I bought it from did a filter and fluid change after I complained about it, I watched the fluid come out and it was in great shape, not brown at all and didnít smell burnt.. I want to get this resolved before I change the items and lift...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 08:46 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Re: Weird trans issue

Try diving it in D4 at light throttle like you say and see if it still does it. My bet is it is between 4 and 5 and not 3 and 4. This eliminates 5th gear, where the shift problem starts before it ends up between more gears with time. If you do not feel it, it may very well be the beginning of the trans shudder these are known for. Could still be the lockup converter either way.
If so, it's about a $5600 repair around here (NY) so hope it's something else.

Just my opinion, others will chime in soon I'm sure.

PS. I tried the Instand Shudder Fix stuff and it fixed it immediately................for 1200 miles and it came right back.

Last edited by i_m_2_sane; 01-12-2019 at 08:50 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I’ll try that in the morning and check back in. Thanks for the reply..

2007 Voodoo Blue, 34x10.50x17 BFG KO2 . 17x8.5 DV8 bronze wheels, Camburg UCA, SAW 2.5ís with 650lb springs and All Pro rear springs.
TRD exhaust, K&N drop in, DRL hack, LED reverse bulbs, Setrab trans cooler..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 2010 had a similar issue. Over rev'ing between gears or shuddering. Transmission shop reset and cleared the shift point codes. You can do the same by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
Sparky of SoCal likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Update, drove the cruiser today and it was ok while on flat ground, but as we started to climb the mountain, the trans started to leak again, saw a bit of smoke and pulled over and saw trans fluid pouring out from the pass side rear of the pan, but appeared to be coming from above the pan and leaking down... let it cool down for a bit and took it right back to the dealer... the owner drove it and said he couldn’t feel the shuddering.... I jumped in and after less than a mile it shudderd worse than it ever has....... He says he’ll take care of it, I told him it sounds he’s paying for a full rebuild!!! He agreed and said he’d make it right.... (FINGERS CROSSED).

P.S
I do know the dealer uses Benson Transmission in San Bernardino.... great trans shop with excellent reviews... once the tranny tech drives it and feels the shuddering he’ll know th trans needs to be pulled and rebuilt..

2007 Voodoo Blue, 34x10.50x17 BFG KO2 . 17x8.5 DV8 bronze wheels, Camburg UCA, SAW 2.5ís with 650lb springs and All Pro rear springs.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Checking back in with an update... dealer I bought it from covered all but $1k of a $2900 full rebuild..
The shop that did the rebuild is Benson Transmission in Colton Ca.. Fantastic company and Mike was super cool to deal with.. trans works great, no issues.. and I got a 18 month warranty...
rotorhed1 likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in