Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Transmisson Temp monitoring

10K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  cory3122 
#1 ·
I had been researching what fluid to put back in the trans on my 2012 Fj and noticed lots of comments about Transmisson temps. So I got curious and started digging through the options on my KENWOOD head unit. Check out what I found.....

Guess I need to research what the ideal temps are now, smh more reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#7 ·
I have really enjoyed the radio. I have it working with steering wheel controls, factory JBL amps and sub, Car Play to my phone and bluetooth to the ipad, factory backup camera, a Kenwood dash cam, including all the OBDii info and actual tire pressures as apposed to a idiot light. Lot of research went into making it all work correctly, but I am pleased with the results.

#8 · (Edited)
There are actually TWO transmission fluid temperature sensors on the A750F transmission - pan temp, and torque converter outlet temp. Both are accessible through the OBD-II port under the dash.

TQ outlet temperature is always higher than the pan temp when the TQ lockup clutch is not locked, and can spike to disturbingly high values very quickly when you are climbing a grade.

You need to know which temperature sensor you are currently monitoring to make sense of the temperature that is being displayed.

If you're serious about keeping your FJ's transmission healthy, you will add an auxiliary transmission fluid cooler. Being able to see real-time transmission fluid temperature will quickly make this a priority.

#9 ·
^^^this. adding an aux cooler is just dumbfounding. It used to run close to coolant temp and with the cooler I am seeing 40-50 degrees cooler trans temps. Its astounding the difference it made.

#12 ·
You outta post the links if you’ve got em, I was just talking about this with CabinCruiser over the weekend and I was unsure of being able to successfully make the interface with all my controls as well as the sub. Great to see this setup and the built in OBD is sweet.

#16 ·
This is one of those upgrades I didn't know I "needed". Built in GPS would keep me from messing with the cell phone, plus the display is so much bigger. I love the idea of access to vehicle diagnostics as well. Looks like Crutchfield sells the parts to keep my satelite radio and steering wheel controls too!

#18 ·
Thats pretty cool but does the radio work while you are using the data scan? For $30 my iphone connects via LeLink bluetooth and the Engine Link app. $600 plus plus plus is a little spendy to check the tranny temp once in a blue moon. On mine, I installed a autometer gauge on the center console. Always on and quick to read.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.