Rear diff and wheel bearing help needed. - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids This area is for discussion, questions and problems with the FJ Cruiser's gear train, including topics on A-TRAC, VSC, locking diffs, gear ratios, manual vs. AT, etc.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 11:32 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2614 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Rear diff and wheel bearing help needed.

Mine will burn my hand after a 10 min drive in the summer. I need a bigger diff...
debFJVT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Iconic_ previously said: View Post
They don't have any issues with bearings. Certainly not widespread anyway.

Yeah I think youíre probably right. I just saw a lot of early 2007ís with diff issues here and there.

I think my problem was the Amsoil 75w-90 severe gear oil. My first several diff oil changes were with Valvoline 80-90 Dino. They always looked perfect like honey every time and at 112k, when I switched to Amsoil. Also never any metal in the oil. Iíve been doing a decent amount of towing since around 40k, mostly just for vacations. Nothing over the rated towing capacity of the Fj. Since switching to Amsoil, I made it 10k and everything went haywire. Now the oil is black, nasty had lots of metal in it and looked thin as water when it came out.

Anyways when I get my 3rd member back Iím absolutely going to be running Lucas 85w -140. All the gear shops Iíve talked to who build or rebuild differentials (including ECGS) all swear by it. I just donít think Amsoil had the film strength to lubricant the bearings properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Final update, so got the diff back and everything is dead silent now. Every single bearing in the whole entire 3rd member was shot. So now Iím very suspect of the oil. Definitely running the Lucas 85-140 for sure and not risking the 75-90. The shop also thought is was lack of lubrication. Below are a some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
debFJVT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:23 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Garage

Glad you got it sorted, those bearings and carrier got blasted. That 8" is simply too small for the FJ. Bearing deflection, ring/pinion size and poor lubrication are killers for sure.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in