replacing trans cooler lines - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids This area is for discussion, questions and problems with the FJ Cruiser's gear train, including topics on A-TRAC, VSC, locking diffs, gear ratios, manual vs. AT, etc.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 09:52 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Re: replacing trans cooler lines

Quote:
Boabrother4 previously said: View Post
When mine started leaking I found that I was the second to fix this. Half of the tube assembly was missing. The drivers side was cut off and patched and only the passenger side of the tubes were left. I pulled all the old patch BS out and ran new rubber hose from the radiator to the rubber lines on the passenger side.

This looks like what you are looking for, I know is says for earlier model, wish there was a part #.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/07-09-Toyot...4AAOSwpFtcHAnK
FYI....this is not the right one for 2010 FJ. This is as indicated in the ebay posting that you linked to...for 07-09 FJ. My 2010 is different and just like the picture that @DrikaK9 posted in the other thread. I also posted the part number and the part schematic that he needs. It's as simple as ordering it from an online Toyota OEM parts dealer or his local Toyota dealer.
Little Joe likes this.

Last edited by SilvFx; 05-18-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Came in today... perfect match. Next to it is the one I got from parts store and what the dealership told me was the correct one based off of VIN over the phone. As can be seen, quite the difference
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190518_132535_1558211497674.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	684.8 KB
ID:	1079532  
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 04:12 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)

You going to paint them with something to increase their life span.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Sparky of SoCal previously said: View Post
You going to paint them with something to increase their life span.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I was thinking of hitting them with some Rustoleum.... just an extra layer of ANYTHING to combat the salt!! Stock skid plate has huge hole in it after this last winter... not useable. Ordered an RCI
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 04:34 PM

Yup.....painted to hopefully give them a longer life
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190519_154142_1558305194068.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	1079586  
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Replaced the lines on my 2007 last year. They did not look as rusty as yours but were covered in oil and assumed to be leaking. Once I removed the part I was able to find a very small crack were one of the tubes was welded to its bracket.

Ordered part from Rockauto and it was a perfect match. I used some similar sized steel bars to create plugs for the rubber hoses. Disconnected the lines starting at the highest point first. This way the fluid would gravity drain back to the transmission. When disconnecting the lines at the bottom of the radiator and closest to the transmission be prepared,once you remove the hose form the line, to hold the open end as high as possible to avoid draining oil then insert plug. The hose/plug only needs a friction fit as nothing is pressurized. I did spill some oil but very little. Once all the lines are disconnected replace the part. Reverse process in attaching new lines. You can add a 100 or 200ml back into the new lines before you close the last tube. That small quantity will not make a difference as there should be about 5 litres in total in the tranny. Don't worry about air entering the system as it is vented anyway.

Only do the above when the engine and oil temperate are at ambient. You really don't want hot transmission oil running down your forearms

You can warm up your transmission and check the oil later.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Beagle1 previously said: View Post
Replaced the lines on my 2007 last year. They did not look as rusty as yours but were covered in oil and assumed to be leaking. Once I removed the part I was able to find a very small crack were one of the tubes was welded to its bracket.

Ordered part from Rockauto and it was a perfect match. I used some similar sized steel bars to create plugs for the rubber hoses. Disconnected the lines starting at the highest point first. This way the fluid would gravity drain back to the transmission. When disconnecting the lines at the bottom of the radiator and closest to the transmission be prepared,once you remove the hose form the line, to hold the open end as high as possible to avoid draining oil then insert plug. The hose/plug only needs a friction fit as nothing is pressurized. I did spill some oil but very little. Once all the lines are disconnected replace the part. Reverse process in attaching new lines. You can add a 100 or 200ml back into the new lines before you close the last tube. That small quantity will not make a difference as there should be about 5 litres in total in the tranny. Don't worry about air entering the system as it is vented anyway.

Only do the above when the engine and oil temperate are at ambient. You really don't want hot transmission oil running down your forearms

You can warm up your transmission and check the oil later.
awsome... thanks for this!!
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:43 PM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
SilvFx previously said: View Post
If you want to get the right part, I would just order it from @[email protected] from Cool Springs Toyota and he can ensure they get the right part before they ship it out to you.
That's what I'm here for.
Firemedic831 likes this.

Let me know if I can help with anything!

-Roman

parts.toyotaofcoolsprings.com

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in