replacing trans cooler lines - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids This area is for discussion, questions and problems with the FJ Cruiser's gear train, including topics on A-TRAC, VSC, locking diffs, gear ratios, manual vs. AT, etc.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
replacing trans cooler lines

on my 08 with 93,000 miles the trans cooler lines are rusty so I purchased a new set (Rein Automotive TRC0520, replaces #3290760070 ). is there anything I need to know about before I replace this? should I purchase more at fluid? I assume I will lose some during removal? never did this before and I want to get it right. will there be an issue with air in the lines after replacement? any help or advise appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 07:52 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage
Re: replacing trans cooler lines

Quote:
Glenn Orban previously said: View Post
should I purchase more at fluid? I assume I will lose some during removal?
I don't know anything about the transmission cooler lines specifically, but I always make that assumption when servicing fluid systems. At least have a little bit on hand so if you spill some or drop a hose or something, you have piece of mind that you won't have to run to the store in the middle of your project.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

i find it hard to belive that with over two hundred views that no one can comment on this topic that has made this repair??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm dealing with same issue. No replies. My 2010 has longer, curved lines, but even posting pictures, I get flamed: dudes pointing out different colored fan shroud, lines are different.... is it even an FJ? What country are you from? I'm trying to find the right lines for mine, and because I know I lost some, I'm just going to do the flush and fill that's written about. Hope you were able to figure out yours!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:37 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1413 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey
Lifetime Supporting Member

Its not flaming.

There have been subtle differences in models over the years and by Geographic location and the FJ is a shared platform....hence all the questions.

Just narrowing down the possibilities.

WEB diagnosis is not easy

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:42 PM

I stand corrected then. I figured a truck made in Japan would be "fairly" standard outside of model year changes. The part number help has hopefully narrowed it down to a purchase on Ebay. Hopefully folks can see that to an admitted non-expert, the seemingly odd statements about bumpers, fan colors, the oil lines themselves, is it an FJ, sounded just weird! Of course it's an FJ. Add to which, I'm a little jacked up to begin with having the truck out of service to begin with. My apologies, no offence was meant, and the help has been appreciated. Now if I can just figure out if it's the passenger side lower line thats the oil drain line AND this Ebay part fits, life will be better.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:30 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1413 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey
Lifetime Supporting Member

No worries, eh?

We do recognize that not everyone is as nerdy about the FJ as others, generally a little patience and some searching and you can find the answer.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage

I just did a flush and yes the lower line on the radiator is where you drain from. This was odd to me as all my other trans (non Toyota) I drain from the top.
I went slow, followed the process, 2 quarts at a time until all is clean and red. Top off trans, enjoy.

I did the flush cause my line was rotted as well, I replaced the steel line with rubber hose and 3/8 stainless barb splicers until I can find tube coolers to replace the factory steel line.
So many of the steel trans lines have failed, there has to be a better solution.

2011 Brick
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Boabrother4 previously said: View Post
I just did a flush and yes the lower line on the radiator is where you drain from. This was odd to me as all my other trans (non Toyota) I drain from the top.
I went slow, followed the process, 2 quarts at a time until all is clean and red. Top off trans, enjoy.

I did the flush cause my line was rotted as well, I replaced the steel line with rubber hose and 3/8 stainless barb splicers until I can find tube coolers to replace the factory steel line.
So many of the steel trans lines have failed, there has to be a better solution.
does your truck have longer, passenger side curved lines?,, because that's what Im dealing with on mine. Hopefully have a set coming from Ebay. Il post and let you know .. Dealer and local parts store only show a short, Straight set of lines so user the bottom line?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190516_181912_1558049402855.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	1079266  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:31 PM

Oh and sorry if I came off as a D.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in