New Transmission: Break in period & shift problems - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids This area is for discussion, questions and problems with the FJ Cruiser's gear train, including topics on A-TRAC, VSC, locking diffs, gear ratios, manual vs. AT, etc.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New Transmission: Break in period & shift problems

I just replaced my 6MT transmission, and shifting is notchy and crisp. However I'm having trouble getting into reverse. I can get the lever all the way to the left and partially forward to the point that the reverse alert beeps, but then I get stuck. I'm shifting from a complete stop. I've tried double clutching. I just have to go back and forth of neutral to reverse a handful of times before I luckily am allowed into reverse. Any advise?

I'm taking it very easy now knowing that the FJ 6MT is made of glass. Gentle slow shifts from now on. Are there any specific recommendations for breaking in a new transmission?

Background: So I got a new transmission after it rapidly deteriorated. 13yo. 97000mi. Mostly city driven with a few long trips. It was hard to get into gear. It would grind when shifting. The synchros, bearings, or both were dying. Being a 2007 MT, Toyota didn't feel the need to assist with the replacement, but in the end forked up a few hundred dollars. My VIN wasn't included in the TSB regarding the bearings. Clutch was fairly new so that was left in.

OH IT'S THE JUGGERNAUT, B*TCH!!!

Tonka: Silver - 6MT - Upgrade Pkg 2 - Roof Rack - Steelies - Demello Offroad Sliders - OME 3" Medium Susp. Lift - General Grabber AT2 265/70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:43 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Re: New Transmission: Break in period & shift problems

OK...dont have a manual transmission, but I have owned plenty of vehicles with them. First is to confirm the shifter linkage has been adjusted properly and the bushings arent worn out or misaligned. I can tell you with my son's 98 Jeep Wrangler, some of the shifter bushing were worn out and making it difficult to shift. Did you install the transmission or did someone else? If someone else, first thing I would do is take it back to them and demonstrate the problem.

I certainly have never heard of having to break them in. My experience has been they either work right or they dont. And if it is not shifting well, it is either a shifter linkage or a fork issue (forks are what are inside the transmission and slide the gears around engage/disengage. Occasionally because the reverse gear is often non synchronized, that you have to put it in another gear first and then put into reverse (e.g. dont go directly from neutral to reverse). Second thing on reverse, is you sometimes have to just ease the clutch out to the friction point and it will drop into reverse. Dont really know who to describe it other than you have to play around a bit with engagement and rpm on a whole lot of manual transmissions to get them to go into reverse.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:29 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)

I 2nd the bushing also. That was a constant problem with my FJ 55. My FJC was not happy once with a type of fluid I used one time. I don't remember what type it was but the synchro did not like like it. Drained it and changed to something else and I was very surprised in the difference. The bushing is cheap, fluid is cheap, try it. If you do it at the same time you can just dump the oil in from the top and not have to pump it in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:44 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
SilvFx previously said: View Post
OK...dont have a manual transmission, but I have owned plenty of vehicles with them. First is to confirm the shifter linkage has been adjusted properly and the bushings arent worn out or misaligned. I can tell you with my son's 98 Jeep Wrangler, some of the shifter bushing were worn out and making it difficult to shift. Did you install the transmission or did someone else? If someone else, first thing I would do is take it back to them and demonstrate the problem.

I certainly have never heard of having to break them in. My experience has been they either work right or they dont. And if it is not shifting well, it is either a shifter linkage or a fork issue (forks are what are inside the transmission and slide the gears around engage/disengage. Occasionally because the reverse gear is often non synchronized, that you have to put it in another gear first and then put into reverse (e.g. dont go directly from neutral to reverse). Second thing on reverse, is you sometimes have to just ease the clutch out to the friction point and it will drop into reverse. Dont really know who to describe it other than you have to play around a bit with engagement and rpm on a whole lot of manual transmissions to get them to go into reverse.
No linkage on the MT.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:46 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
New Transmission: Break in period & shift problems

There is a bushing on the bottom of the stick, a cup like dohickey

Know what, I may be confusing rides. Let me go look this up.

This thing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SilvFx likes this.

Last edited by Sparky of SoCal; 05-28-2019 at 08:03 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:02 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)

Quote:
mikey previously said: View Post
No linkage on the MT.
Thanks @mikey . Now that you clarify that, I remember seeing some posts about how the stick shift connects into the top of the transmission (e.g. no linkage).
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:23 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)

"now knowing that the FJ 6MT is made of glass"

Wow, I've never heard of any issues with FJ manual transmission durability. I wonder what it was that actually happened with yours? Difficulty shifting could be caused by a leaking clutch hydraulic system not completely releasing the clutch.
Sparky of SoCal and Thorn661 like this.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for all the input everyone. Brought it back and the technician (Toyota) had no problems. The shifting track that I previously used to get into reverse has changed. Before, I'd push all the way left, maintaining left pressure, and shifting forward. Now I push all the way left, then without maintaining left pressure, push straight forward to engage reverse.

Everything is much more notchy, but that's expected from a new transmission. I'll continue taking it easy and shifting nice and slow on this transmission.
2010armygreen likes this.

OH IT'S THE JUGGERNAUT, B*TCH!!!

Tonka: Silver - 6MT - Upgrade Pkg 2 - Roof Rack - Steelies - Demello Offroad Sliders - OME 3" Medium Susp. Lift - General Grabber AT2 265/70
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
norm356 previously said: View Post
"now knowing that the FJ 6MT is made of glass"

Wow, I've never heard of any issues with FJ manual transmission durability. I wonder what it was that actually happened with yours? Difficulty shifting could be caused by a leaking clutch hydraulic system not completely releasing the clutch.
Look at this transmission forum. There's a few long threads about the 6MT synchros and bearings failing at very low miles. Toyota issued a TSB but its doesn't resolve that there's an inherent design flaw that will cause 6MT's to fail prematurely. The transmission is made by a large manufacturer that supplies many other brands. A mechanic I got a quote from actually said his wrangler has the same transmission and had the same failure as my FJ.

I wouldve never expected such poor quality in a toyota. A transmission failure <100k miles is inexcusable, and will make me question buying a Toyota as my next vehicle.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 06:51 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)

can you provide a link? I am very interested to study this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in