Torque converter upgraded suggestion - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids This area is for discussion, questions and problems with the FJ Cruiser's gear train, including topics on A-TRAC, VSC, locking diffs, gear ratios, manual vs. AT, etc.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Torque converter upgraded suggestion

Hey guys im have the famous shake at low rpm speed im just going to bite the bullet and change the convert insted playing wag a moe..

Any suggestions of a really good after market upgraded torque converter or should i just buy a rebuilt or a new oem one any suggestion helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Forgot to mention i have a 2007 trd fj with 166,000 miles
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Torque converter upgraded suggestion

Was thinking about doing the same thing myself, 2007 base model with just over 100,000. This is the one I was looking at.... https://www.floridatorqueconverters....ers-89-90.html Haven't seen any negative press about FTC and the price is right. I've seen level10 mentioned here too. Looking for factory exhaust bolts now then gonna dive in. Keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Awesome thanks for the suggestion. I was going to do the transmission flush but i was thinking why pay 250 to 300 for the flush its a 50/50 shoot if it fixes the problem or a just band aid ill just have my mechanic swap the TC and new ATF.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:47 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)

Before setting yourself up for a ton of additional headaches with seized & broken bolts, broken wiring harness connectors, and hours of potentially unnecessary work, why not spend less than $40 and perform one or two transmission pan drain-and-refill cycles using WS-equivalent fluid? Valvoline Max Life WS equivalent fluid is available for <$20/gallon, and you can do a pan drain & refill in less than 1/2 hour.
Datajockeys and ArupFJ like this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:43 AM

FJTest is right.... I would definitely try other methods before replacing the TC. There is a thread on here somewhere explaining how to do the flush yourself and it's really not complicated. I've done that and still no improvement after a month or two. I even tried the shudder fix, although I'm not sure I used enough, and still have the issue. My next course of action is to replace the TC, see how that goes, and then possibly the valve body. Good luck and keep us posted. It seems like there's a lot of people resolving the issue on here through the dealer somehow but not a lot of DIY's who fixed it themselves and all the steps they took.
Datajockeys likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I did try the drain and fill method on a 2 gen tacoma which is the same drive train as the fj and it didnt help at all. I dont want to spend the money and change to TC but my mechanic was nice enough to help me out and say he will changer me 300 in labor to swap the TC ill just have to bring him everything..

Idk if anyone out there tried the flush and actually worked elemating the shutter
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:01 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)

Quote:
Rudy Barr previously said: View Post
Idk if anyone out there tried the flush and actually worked elemating the shutter
I'f you'd take the time to read any of the threads here about shuddering lockup clutch issues (like https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-problems.html), you would see that for many FJ owners, simply changing the transmission fluid (and properly maintaining it afterward) permanently resolver the shudder problem.
Datajockeys and ArupFJ like this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:07 AM

Kinda hard to pass up that deal... From what I gather, and this is only from reading thread after thread, it seems like a lot of people have had success with the flush, but it was a full flush, running 14-16 quarts of fluid through. Haven't seen too many saying that a pan drop helps although I think the point FJTest is trying make is it's a good starting point. But again, hard to pass up that deal, think I'd go for it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Update i dropped the pan today added new fluid plus a shudder fixx now ill just have to test drive. My mechanic here said lets try that first with the shudder fix its stoppes the shudder or reduces it alot then go with the full blown flush at the dealer

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in