need definitive tranny pan torque spec please - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids This area is for discussion, questions and problems with the FJ Cruiser's gear train, including topics on A-TRAC, VSC, locking diffs, gear ratios, manual vs. AT, etc.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By 702FJC
  • 1 Post By 702FJC
  • 1 Post By 702FJC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
need definitive tranny pan torque spec please

Hey forum! Dropping the pan to do a full tranny service and keep seeing different torque specs for the 20 pan bolts. I've seen 36 inch pounds.....66 inch lbs....and even 88 inch pounds on a YouTube video. Can anyone tell me for sure? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 06:16 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Re: need definitive tranny pan torque spec please

45 kgf cm, or 39 in-lbf

But why exactly do you want to drop the pan? There's nothing really serviceable in there, and dropping the pan doesn't help a the fluid exchange in any way. About the only good reason to drop the pan is on a really high-mileage transmission where you might want to inspect for the amount of clutch wear debris on the bottom of the pan, and any debris on the pump pick-up screen or any large chunks steel particles on the magnets which would indicate some serious internal failure.

Multiple dump/fill cycles of the 3 quarts in the pan is straightforward will eventually result in new fluid throughout the system, or with just a little more time and effort you can perform a DIY flush of all 12+ quarts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well, I wish I would have read your post prior to actually dropping the pan. I thought I did a good job and now in first gear from a dead stop there will be a sucking sound under medium to hard acceleration. It wasn't there before.

I replaced the filter with a fram that has good reviews on Amazon. One thing I noticed it didn't fit perfectly flat up on the valve body but figured it would be fine when bolted down. The front passenger corner was slightly away from the valve body.

I then flushed 13 quarts using the lower radiator flush method I read about on here.

I then infrared temp gunned the pan to 115 and watched fluid trickle out. I left the check plug out because the fluid kept kind of sputtering out so I figured it might be overfilled a bit.

There is zero slip, very smooth shifts. No issues at all other than kind of a wind noise off the line until it shifts. Very strange.

Thanks for any help I was going to take the kids camping this weekend and thought I was doing something good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Went back out and checked pan temp.....130 degrees, pulled check plug and zero fluid came out...added half a quart.....just a drip came out. Going to add more and see what's up. Going to try and jump obd ii
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:14 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1828 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: need definitive tranny pan torque spec please

G'day,
when you check the ATF level, is your engine running and shift in Park ?
Add another quart at least, get the trans up to temp ..and check the level again... with engine running
sounds like its not at the correct level, ie low....
repeat as necessary till level is confirmed as correct...

cheers
Baz
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Didn't jump obd ports but logic was my guiding force. The temp was at 125 to 130 using temp gun on pan. Fluid should be gushing out because of thermal expansion. It wasn't though, so I added another half quart. Started it back up, pulled check plug and there it was, a good steady stream of cherry red WS fluid. I let it slow to almost nothing and buttoned it up. Took it for a good test drive with plenty of starts and stops and no more suction sound!
bazross likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Baz, you were right, was a quart low. Glad it made the suction sound because otherwise I would have driven it and probably damaged the transmission. That would really suck if my preventative maintenance did more harm than good. Lol
bazross likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Also it makes sense for anyone in the future reading this with a similar issue......from a dead stop, the fluid will move to the rear of the pan away from the pickup end of the filter. Thereby breaking the flow and creating a suction sound instead. What is strange is there was no slippage or other driveability issues at all. I guess that speaks to just how good our trucks are! Can run fine a quart low on tranny fluid until noobie owner figures out how to properly check and fill a trans with no dipstick! 😂
bazross likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in