Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Oops...

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  rrjames 
#1 ·
Well, about to embark on a 2,000 mile trip with the FJ. It has 4,000 miles on it, so I decided to do the first oil change a little early. Not paying attention, I inadvertently removed the atf plug instead of the oil plug. I noticed the mistake immediately and replaced the atf plug. But, I drained about 1/2 quart of atf before I got the plug back in.

Question is, should I go buy some atf and replace what I drained, or are the tolerances liberal enough that there is no need to worry about it?

Thanks,
Rick

#2 ·
Run the FJ until normal temp, check tranny fluid and if low add what is needed, 1/2 a quart may or may not make a difference but why take a chance on a 3 dollar quart of tranny fluid.

RR

#3 ·
You will need Toyota world standard trans fluid. Do a search to check level no dip stick on FJ. Low trans fluid can make it shift rough.

#5 ·
X2!! Especially if you are about to embark on your long journey!! Last thing you want is for it to start acting up while you're out having fun. :cheers:

#6 ·
Well, warmed it up and checked it. Got only a couple of drops from the overflow. Guess I better run by Toyota in the morning and pick up some fluid.

Have any of you added fluid? The fill hole is up on the high side of the trans. No room to tip a bottle and let gravity do its thing. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rick

#8 ·
A short 24mm six-point socket will remove the fill plug. Put in the same amount of new that you drained out in your drain pan, then check the overflow tube again (with the tranny fully warm). As has been said, be sure to use low-viscosity Toyota Type WS, NOT ordinary Dexron ATF.

#9 ·
X2,

A pump is best or gravity feed will work with a long enough tube.

DEWFPO

#10 ·
Ok, went to Toyota and picked up a quart of the WS ATF fluid to the tune of $8 and change, then to Kragen for a pump, another $9. Removed the fill bolt with a 24mm socket and replaced the amount I accidentally removed.

Only bad thing that happened was I burned my hand on the exhaust. Oh well, live and learn.

I will definately never make the mistake of removing the wrong plug again! Thanks for all the help.

Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.