DIY Auto Transmission flush? - Page 25 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids This area is for discussion, questions and problems with the FJ Cruiser's gear train, including topics on A-TRAC, VSC, locking diffs, gear ratios, manual vs. AT, etc.

176Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #241 of 481 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 12:46 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
re: DIY Auto Transmission flush?

Please...Please can we get a moderator to fix the spelling of this thread title to read "tranSmission" instead of "tranmission"!!!!

Took me forever to find this thread again while searching... as I will be doing this shortly with the aid of 1911 at his shop.

that is all.
bazross likes this.

2008 Trail Teams Special Edition

Friendly and Useful Vendors I send money to from time to time:

MetalTech
Demello Offroad
SpringtailSolutions
RicochetOffroad

Where my money goes...(CLICK FOR THE BUILD OF OREO)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 481 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
re: DIY Auto Transmission flush?

I recently completed this DIY ATF change using the information in this and other threads. In the interest of helping others, I thought I'd post some of my experiences and a few pictures and videos detailing the process.

First some of the other resources (besides this thread) that helped along the way:
This post helped me determine which transmission plugs I would be working with (pictures from a 4Runner, but the setup is the same):
T4R Transmission Fluid Servicing (sealed & non-sealed) - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

This post helped me figure out how to jumper the OBD port to measure the ATF temperature (used for your final fluid level check):
THE OFFICIAL HOW TO: ATF Drain and Fill - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

This post helped me determine which transmission line to detach from the radiator, and helped explain the whole process:
DIY: Full Automatic Transmission Flush - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Alright, on to the tools I used:
A container with fluid volume markings (or any old container that you can fill with 2 quarts of fluid to mark off the 2 quart level). This particular container was purchased at NAPA for the ridiculous price of $26, however I really liked the stability its base provided and the various measurement markings.

About 4 feet of 1/2"ID x 5/8"OD clear tubing, with a funnel that fits it. I purchased this at Home Depot for about $10. I marked the transmission end of the tube with several wraps of electrical tape at the 1 inch mark. You don't want the tubing to go into the transmission further than this, and the tape provides both a quick visual check and a mechanical stop for preventing this.

About 4 feet of 1/4"ID x 3/8"OD clear plastic tubing. Also purchased at Home Depot for about $10.

Pliers, zip-ties, and electrical tape. These will be used to secure the funnel and tubing.

Torque wrench for torquing the various bolts back to spec. I have been using this Husky wrench from Home Depot (~$70, 3/8" drive) for various FJ tasks and it has been very solid.

Various 3/8" sockets and socket wrench. For this project I used: 24mm, 14mm, 12mm, and a 5mm hex head. The sockets are Husky brand with exception of the 24mm, which I purchased individually at NAPA for about $5 or so (an employee had to pull it out of a complete set). A 15/16 inch socket also works very well, so depending on your truck you could try either a 24mm or the 15/16.

Oil drain pan (no picture). This is what I emptied my 2 quart measuring cup into. I recycled the oil (for free) at O'Reilly's Auto Parts.

Next up was locating and removing the transmission fill port. Using the official service manual and the threads mentioned above, I was able to locate and remove the fill plug. You will know you have the right bolt if it says "WS" on it.

Here is a picture of the fill port with the 1/2"ID tubing inserted. You are looking up at the transmission from the passenger side, with the rear of the vehicle towards the bottom of the picture.

Another angle showing the black electrical tape at the 1 inch mark.

This is how I routed the tubing towards the front of the vehicle (the engine bay is towards the brightly lit area).

Routing the tubing up through the engine bay, and attaching the funnel.

I secured the funnel to the hood with zip-ties. This proved to be super helpful in making sure everything stayed put.

Next was disconnecting the proper ATF return line from the radiator. I struggled with figuring out which line to disconnect, but using the above threads I was finally able to determine which line to unplug. For reference, I disconnected the return line from the passenger side of the car. The threads above (especially the bottom link I posted) have great pictures and descriptions of which hose to disconnect if my pictures aren't clear enough.

This is how I secured the 1/4"ID hose to the metal outlet fitting once I disconnected the hose attached to it. The 1/4"ID tubing was fairly difficult to attach, so I placed it over my needle nose pliers and pulled the handle apart to stretch out the tubing. The hose that I disconnected was folded up against the plastic radiator housing so that it wouldn't leak all over the ground. (Note: I don't think the zip-ties are necessary. There isn't much pressure in this line). In this picture I am lying on my back looking up into the engine bay, with the front of the vehicle to the bottom of the picture.

Another angle, you are looking at the driver's side tire.

And another angle, similar to that above.

Here is another view, showing the drain tubing connected and being routed to the driver side of the vehicle. The rear of the vehicle is to the back left.

The drain hose was routed over to the driver's side of the vehicle so I could watch the old ATF draining while I was in the truck.

Now on the driver's side, I taped the drain tubing into my measuring container so it wouldn't fall out. I also placed a line of black electrical tape at the 2 quart mark so I could easily tell when I had drained about 2 quarts. The oil drain pan was also close by for emptying the drained ATF from the measurement container.

At this point I was able to start the truck and allow the transmission's fluid pump to do all the hard work. This was the part of the process I was most apprehensive about as I thought the fluid was going to drain much faster than it did.

After draining 2 quarts, I would fill exactly 2 quarts of oil into the funnel. I would then empty the 2 quarts from my measuring container into the oil drain pan. I repeated this cycle until the fluid started coming out cherry red, which occurred after about 10 or 12 quarts of new fluid. On a few of the drain cycles I moved the transmission gears through their range a few times for good measure.

Once the fluid was cherry red, it was time to check the fluid level. I jumpered the OBD port as described in one of my links above and performed the ATF temperature check sequence. Once I got the correct sequence of lights to turn on, I left the engine to idle until the ATF light lit up indicating the transmission was at the proper temperature for level measurement. It took maybe 5 minutes for the light to come on.

I then left the vehicle running (with tires blocked and the e-brake engaged, with the truck in Park) and crawled under the truck. I removed the fluid check bolt (shown clearly in one of the above links) and let the ATF drain out until it was just a dribble, then re-torqued the plug to spec. I would say maybe 1/2 quart came out. I then re-torqued the fill plug as well.

Hopefully this helps anyone who is trying to decide if they can do this project. I thought it was about as easy as an oil change, it just took longer. I did use Amsoil for better or worse

Let me know if you have any questions or if you notice that I buggered something up.

-Dave
cansalv, shack, bazross and 7 others like this.

Last edited by dave3533; 10-14-2017 at 11:10 PM.
post #243 of 481 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 08:42 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Re: DIY Auto Transmission flush?

Very nice job!

TLCA 19971
07 FJ
MODS:
A/T KO2's, SWAY-A-WAY ,TOTAL CHAOS UCA, GPS MIRROR MOUNT, PRE-CLEANER, SIDE VISORS,
METALTECH OPOR SLIDERS, SCAN GAUGE, MPAC GOODIES, DUAL BATTERY MOD, TOY OUTFITTERS FRONT BUMPER KIT, RICOCHET ARMOR

MORE ON THE WAY
--------------------
Past Vehicles:
70 FJ40
73 FJ40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 481 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 09:55 PM
Forum Superstar

X2! Great update. I'll be doing this in the morning.

Oh, and thanks Baz for updating the title! Too easy mate!

MetalTech
Demello Offroad
SpringtailSolutions
RicochetOffroad

post #245 of 481 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 04:19 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 70 Post(s)

Quote:
USA4X4 previously said: View Post
Very nice job!
X2, I love those sockets you have, very easy to read the size.

post #246 of 481 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 07:02 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

@dave3533 :

What a first post - excellent write up!

Thanks a million for the links, pics, and video sir!

2011 FJ Trail Teams - Toytec Coilovers - 285 Duratracs - U.S Off Road winch mount bumper - Smittybuilt 12k w Factor Flat Link & Synthetic Rope - Odyssey PC2150 - Baja Flat Rack

****The WIFE'S!!!!*****

2000 Land Cruiser UZJ100 - OME Torsion Bars/Shocks - 2016 Land Cruiser Wheels - Spidertrax - 285 BFG AT KO2 - Kenwood/Focal/Alpine/JL Audio - Odyssey PC2150

****I get the V8 ****

TLCA # 24656
post #247 of 481 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 11:21 AM
Forum Superstar

Anyone else have issues jumping the obdii port and getting it in the temp check mode?

Following the FSM... says after jumping, to cycle between N and D for 1.5 intervals for six seconds... that the at/temp light should flash at that point telling you you're in the mode.

Been trying that w/o luck.

Any suggestions? Double checked my jumper is good already.

MetalTech
Demello Offroad
SpringtailSolutions
RicochetOffroad

post #248 of 481 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 01:18 PM
Forum Superstar

Ok, I got it in the test mode.

I watched the video in the second link in post 242. I was shifting too slow between N and D.

Now waiting for the trans to cool down. (keep getting the flashing AT/Temp light)

MetalTech
Demello Offroad
SpringtailSolutions
RicochetOffroad

post #249 of 481 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 05:15 PM
Forum Superstar

Just to repost this near the end...

Quote:
istambull previously said: View Post
Didn't see some of this mentioned anywhere else, sorry if I missed it.

Torque Specs
refill plug 29 ft.lbf
overflow/check 15 ft.lbf (found conflicting data for this plug, it was 15 in one .pdf and 21 in another)
pan drain 15 ft.lbf

A/T Oil Temp Jumper Notes
In addition to the A/T Oil Temp light illuminating at 115 the following will flash throughout the entire process.
ABS
VSC TRAC
CRUISE

MetalTech
Demello Offroad
SpringtailSolutions
RicochetOffroad

post #250 of 481 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

@bc_indiana , how'd the process go for you? Sorry I didn't see your posts until now, glad you got the OBD port process working.

@Natetroknot thanks! I've been a long time lurker, but I saw an opportunity to strike and took it

@RomaBoy thanks, I updated post 242 to include a little more about the sockets for anyone that is curious.

Last edited by dave3533; 08-15-2014 at 09:19 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in