DIY Auto Transmission flush? - Page 4 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids This area is for discussion, questions and problems with the FJ Cruiser's gear train, including topics on A-TRAC, VSC, locking diffs, gear ratios, manual vs. AT, etc.

182Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 487 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
re: DIY Auto Transmission flush?

Quote:
Blown383 previously said: View Post
16 quarts to flush and refill the tranny? Isn't the Toyota ATF fluid about $7.00 a quart? If thats the case it just might be worth paying the dealer the extra $100 to flush it with the machine.

-B
Dealer wants like $300 to do the change... Save $200 that is really easy procedure.

Fabtech 6" 20'BBS
Cooper STT 37" M/T,2:00 spacers,Bushwhackers,Toy All pro M-1 bumper,All Pro Air Dam & sliders PIAA 540
Snorkal, Manik tailight guards,Midland 75-822, Bandi 3' fire stick, K & N filter,Locker on demand, ATrac hack, VSC & DRL switches, TRD Cat back, Scuba Mod, Garmin Nuvi, BlueSeas 6 fuse block,10.5K Recon Winch,Dual battery,leather seats,dual factory DVD players, Diamond trim, Source 10lb, Rubber mats. Swingout bumper,Mad Dog armor, EBC rotors,TRD pads,T-Rex grill,Yukon4:56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 487 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

deleted

Black Diamond AT 16" TRD Wheels w/BF Goodrich ATs265/75 r16, TRD Catback Exhaust (thank you, Batman!), Midland 75-822 w/Firestick, Bandi Mount (thanks for designing that, sir). Lots of Coke cans and fast food boxes on the floor. MTB tire tracks all over inside. Girlfriend installed on the passenger seat who overlooks the fact that she could do so much better than me.

Future Mods: TRD CAI, Rock Rails, Air Dam, ARB air locker when the warranty expires.

Last edited by hbfj; 01-21-2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: resolved
post #33 of 487 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hey Bartt, today I changed my transmission fluid following your instructions step-by-step! Awesome write up, short and precise! Also gives me a good understanding of how the transmission circulates the fluid.

All I can say is Awesome!!

Quote:
bartt previously said: View Post
Finally getting back to this...
I did this procedure over the weekend, so for anyone looking to do it also, here is what you will need:

16 qts of WSATF from your dealer.
an empty 5qt oil jug that has the little see thru part and qt marks on the side (most of the oil jugs have them)
about 4 feet of 1/2"ID x5/8"OD clear plastic tubing
a funnel that fits inside the tubing above
( i picked up the tubing and a 1/2 pint funnel at HD for about $10 total)
a short length of clear tubing (3/8" I think) to drain the old fluid.
a 24mm box end wrench to get the fill plug off.

Procedure:
Start by opening the fill plug with the wrench, its on the passenger side toward the rear of the gearbox. Clean it up and set it aside.
From the engine compartment run the 1/2" tubing from the middle of the firewall back down to the fill port keeping it away from the exhaust pipe and cats. The 5/8" OD fits the fill port pretty nice and should not fall out once you push about 3/4" of it in there. I only pushed that much in and it did not leak while filling. Attach your funnel to the other end of the tube and tape it up with some electrical tape just in case.
Locate and remove the black tube on the bottom line of the radiator, this is the return line to the gearbox. Put your clear tube on the radiator nipple now showing. If it is snug you don't need a clamp since there is very little pressure. Put the other end into your empty 5 qt jug.
Now start your engine and watch as the old fluid goes into the jug. It should take about 10-15 seconds to dump 2 qts. Stop the engine and put that much new fluid back in by pouring it into the funnel. Repeat this until you have gone thru all 16 qts. Make sure that each time you dump some, you put exactly that much back in. By the time you have gone thru all the new fluid, the old fluid coming out should look new too...
Now clean up, put the plug back in, the return line on the radiator and give it a test drive.
This is from memory so if I forgot something, please post up...
Hope it helps..
Mt6972 likes this.

We're here for a good time not a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 487 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 05:22 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Being the twisted soul I am, I want to replace the oil with one that gives higher pressures. Back in the day, the trick was to use Ford tranny oil in our hot rods with GM trannies for a bit more ooomph. Supposedly raised hydraulic pressures, resulted in slightly firmer shifts and less wear'n tear on the clutch plates. And though it may have been nothing more than a placebo effect, the few times I did this oil swap seemed to result in slightly firmer shifts.
Spposedly, B&M auto tranny oil was/is nothing more than glorifed, blue-coloured Ford oil.
Can anyone confirm or deny the theory? If not, can anyone tell me if it's possible that higher pressures would indeed have a negative effect on the transmission?
Mt6972 likes this.
post #35 of 487 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 07:38 AM
Forum Master

That would not be a good idea. Using a non-Toyota tranny fluid would be roughly equi valent to getting a blood transfusion with the wrong blood type. The WS fluid used in our trannies is a lower viscosity than the other mass-market fluids. If you want firmer shifts, get a replacement valve body or see if the tuning devices can alter shift line pressure.
jorge likes this.

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives. The trick is not to be around when they go off..."
post #36 of 487 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
peter2772000 previously said: View Post
Being the twisted soul I am, I want to replace the oil with one that gives higher pressures. Back in the day, the trick was to use Ford tranny oil in our hot rods with GM trannies for a bit more ooomph. Supposedly raised hydraulic pressures, resulted in slightly firmer shifts and less wear'n tear on the clutch plates. And though it may have been nothing more than a placebo effect, the few times I did this oil swap seemed to result in slightly firmer shifts.
Spposedly, B&M auto tranny oil was/is nothing more than glorifed, blue-coloured Ford oil.
Can anyone confirm or deny the theory? If not, can anyone tell me if it's possible that higher pressures would indeed have a negative effect on the transmission?
These guys ( IPT Performance Transmissions Torque Converters and Transmission Parts for Ford, GM, Chrysler, and Import vehicles make a valve body kit for the 5AT's in the FJ that will give you quicker, firmer shifts. DEWFPO
Mt6972 likes this.

2007 FJ, 5AT, Sun Fusion Yellow, CQ, UP, GY, RB, 2Q, EL, VS.

Engine Block Heater, '08 Cyclone Pre-Filter, Dual horns, Phillips Osram 70W/65W H4's, RockBlocker and 3M Clear Film, Toyota RearSight Backup Camera, Ultra-Gauge MX 1.3.

"Enjoying the Journey"

"Wanted - young, skinny, wiry fellows, not over 18. Must be expert riders willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred"
Original newspaper add placed by William Hepburn Russell, founder of the The Pony Express
post #37 of 487 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 03:54 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Thanks for the heads-up guys, prolly saved me lotsa grief
post #38 of 487 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 10:16 PM

First of all, thanks to everyone for taking the time to write up your experience. It makes it a lot easier to tackle these things on your own.

I never saw a post on whether or not the strainer had filter media that should be replaced. Anybody know the answer?
post #39 of 487 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need instructions with pictures next person to do this pleeeease take pics?
Mt6972 likes this.

2013 Toyota 4runner Trail edition....stock for now!
post #40 of 487 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
[email protected] previously said: View Post
I need instructions with pictures next person to do this pleeeease take pics?
First off I want to thank bartt your parts list for this job and instructions were spot on Hoses fit snug and didn`t need clamps or anything. This job is a easy as changing your oil. Here are a few pictures to see what I did

Heres the parts list 16 qts. of toyota ATF WS trans fluid.

3/8 ID clear hose hooked to the lower trans hose nipple coming out of the radiator

Same hose running out of the bottom of the truck into bottle measure the fluid coming out

1/2 ID clear tube taped to funnel and zipped tied to stay there while filling

same hose shoved in the fill plug about an inch

What the fluid looked like compared to new

Hope this helps this job is as easy as it gets
Loganbeere likes this.

Last edited by Sanderhawk; 06-06-2010 at 06:17 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in