4.10 gears - where to buy? - Page 6 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids This area is for discussion, questions and problems with the FJ Cruiser's gear train, including topics on A-TRAC, VSC, locking diffs, gear ratios, manual vs. AT, etc.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 11:52 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ohiobenz Send a message via Yahoo to ohiobenz Send a message via Skype™ to ohiobenz
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: 4.10 gears - where to buy?

03-PRESENT 8” CLAMSHELL FRONT DIFF
07-present FJ Cruiser, 03-present 4runner, 05-present Tacoma Front:
T8S-410R-OE FRONT R&P (FITS 3.90 CASE, OR RD111)
T8S-456RT-NG FRONT R&P (THICK FITS 3.73 CASE, OR RD121)

3.90 case = MT
3.73 case = AT

'08 Fusion: ARB rack, custom ladder, Jerry-can carrier & Hi-lift mount, DO front bumper, Expedition-1 Rear bumper, DO Hybrid Sliders, MileMarker Hyd Winch, SPEC Stage-1 clutch, Icon Stage 2 3" lift, Cobra CB, PNR Snorkel, Spidertrax spacers, All-Pro Skid plates, Airlift airsprings Plasti-Dipped hood, Arco PIAA fogs, Hella drivin lights & more......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 05:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
4.10 gears - where to buy?

Hi,

I have a 2013 FJ Cruiser (I am in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates). I run on Radflo Suspension on a 2.5inch lift with 285/70/17 tires. I only use the car for dune bashing. On the taller dunes I am under powered and have to run the car at full revs leaving no margin for error.

The vehicle is a Automatic. Will regearing help? If so to what gear. At the moment I drive in low 3rd gear with the occasional down shift to 2nd when running out of steam and up to 4th for the faster areas. In high it is only 1st and 2nd, very rarely 3rd, but the car performs better in low. Any advice very welcome.

Cost of fuel is not important here and also running on the highway is not that important. Being safe on the dunes is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #53 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 06:33 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ohiobenz Send a message via Yahoo to ohiobenz Send a message via Skype™ to ohiobenz

Quote:
Zeebzog previously said: View Post
Hi,

I have a 2013 FJ Cruiser (I am in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates). I run on Radflo Suspension on a 2.5inch lift with 285/70/17 tires. I only use the car for dune bashing. On the taller dunes I am under powered and have to run the car at full revs leaving no margin for error.

The vehicle is a Automatic. Will regearing help? If so to what gear. At the moment I drive in low 3rd gear with the occasional down shift to 2nd when running out of steam and up to 4th for the faster areas. In high it is only 1st and 2nd, very rarely 3rd, but the car performs better in low. Any advice very welcome.

Cost of fuel is not important here and also running on the highway is not that important. Being safe on the dunes is.

Since I have a manual transmission I'm not sure I can compare.
What I can say is that I gained a dyno proven 30HP by going to headers and a free flow exhaust system.
With the tire size you are running most people don't regear. Maybe someone who does more of your type of offroading can chime in here?
With me running 35's I'm regearing to 4:56 - which brings me back close to stock rpm at highway speeds. But then the MT has a 3:90 from the factory.
Since neither fuel nor highway matters in your case, going to 4:88's with some exhaust improvements could solve your problem.
Zeebzog likes this.

'08 Fusion: ARB rack, custom ladder, Jerry-can carrier & Hi-lift mount, DO front bumper, Expedition-1 Rear bumper, DO Hybrid Sliders, MileMarker Hyd Winch, SPEC Stage-1 clutch, Icon Stage 2 3" lift, Cobra CB, PNR Snorkel, Spidertrax spacers, All-Pro Skid plates, Airlift airsprings Plasti-Dipped hood, Arco PIAA fogs, Hella drivin lights & more......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 04:58 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Quote:
Hi,

For what you're describing, I would suggest 4.88 gears.

4.56 & 4.88 Nitro Gear change Packages For FJ Cruiser
JT'S Parts & Accessories
One of the nationís largest inventories and widest varieties of differential and axle parts.
(866) 525-4620 --- [email protected]

Follow us on Facebook
post #55 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thanks to you both for the advice.

post #56 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
justdifferentials.com previously said: View Post
Quote:
Hi,

For what you're describing, I would suggest 4.88 gears.
I almost has his same modifications. However, its a daily use car. I have the auto 3.73 size. I was looking for the 4.10. I noticed that its not manufactured. Is the 4.56 suitable for daily use on roads, long distances and at high speed? Thanks
post #57 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 12:04 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Quote:
Kfajwani previously said: View Post
I almost has his same modifications. However, its a daily use car. I have the auto 3.73 size. I was looking for the 4.10. I noticed that its not manufactured. Is the 4.56 suitable for daily use on roads, long distances and at high speed? Thanks
100% of people we sell gears to drive long distances, and yes 4.56 is great for highway. Give us a call at 866 349 6801 or email us at [email protected] and we get you pricing and also find a installer close to you if you need.

4.56 & 4.88 Nitro Gear change Packages For FJ Cruiser
JT'S Parts & Accessories
One of the nationís largest inventories and widest varieties of differential and axle parts.
(866) 525-4620 --- [email protected]

Follow us on Facebook
post #58 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 02:46 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
justdifferentials.com previously said: View Post
We can supply 4.10 gears, it is such a small change in ratio, that it would not be worth the cost. The gears are only made OE, and not in "thick" this means if you have a 3.90 that you could install 4.10 without buying a new front carrier. However, if you went from 3.90 to 4.10 you wouldn't hardly tell that it changed. If you have an AT and 3.73 than you'd have to also buy a font carrier making it very costly and still minimal change.

That said we've supplied 4.56 & 4.88 for a hundreds upon hundreds of FJ Cruisers. The bulk of them running a 33-35" tire, some bigger. The AT or MT has such a tall overdrive, and Toyota did not factor for larger tires. So when anything bigger is fitted it will require changing gear ratio, or tolerating loss of power, less time in overdrive etc. Still for some, the math seems to be more important than real world fact, experience, etc and some demand 4.10. We do offer them only for this reason. We get many inquiries from people that have run the numbers (we have too!) and ask for a 4.08 or a 4.22 ratio etc. and think they want 4.10. They fail to factor in the added rolling resistance, wind drag, added weight of accessories, or the fact that the vehicles are a bit too tall geared to begin with. Many of people in this situation opt for 4.56 and are always happy that they did.
Here's a list of part numbers:
2010+ 8.2” REAR:
FJ CRUISER, 4RUNNER & PRADO 150
-12 Bolt Ring Gear -Adjusts via side shims -30 spline pinion
NO 4.10 AVAILABLE
T8.2-456-NG R&P
IK T8.2 MINI KIT (ALL)
MK T8.2 MASTER KIT (NON LOCKER)
MK T8.2-ELOC MASTER KIT (W/ OEM LOCKER)
ARBRD193 AIR LOCKER

03-PRESENT 8” CLAMSHELL FRONT DIFF
07-present FJ Cruiser, 03-present 4runner, 05-present Tacoma Front:
T8S-410R-OE FRONT R&P (FITS 3.90 CASE, OR RD111)
T8S-456RT-NG FRONT R&P (THICK FITS 3.73 CASE, OR RD121)
T8S-488R-NG FRONT R&P (FITS 3.90 CASE OR RD111)
MK T8S-R MASTER KIT
IK T8S-R MINI KIT
SK CST8S-CLAM SOLID PRELOAD SPACER
ARBRD121 AIR LOCKER (FITS STOCK 3.73 OR W/ T8S-456RT-NG)
ARBRD111 AIR LOCKER (FITS STOCK 3.90+ OR W/ T8S-488R-NG)

2009 & OLDER 8” REAR
-07-09 FJ Cruiser ALL, 03-09 4runner ALL, 05-09 Tacoma WITH E-locker.
TV6-411-NG R&P (REQ. YOKT60030 FLANGE)
TV6-456-29-NG R&P (NEW! 29 SPLINE BIG PINION, NO FLANGE REQ!)
TV6-488-29-NG (NEW! 29 SPLINE BIG PINION, NO FLANGE REQ!)
ARBRD132 AIR LOCKER
MK TV6-B MASTER KIT (NON LOCKER)
MK T8-ELOC-B MASTER KIT (W/ OEM LOCKER)
IK TV6-B MINI KIT (ALL)
SK CSTV6 SOLID PRELOAD SPACER

05-Present Tacoma 8.4” (NON LOCKER)
T100-410-OE
T100-456-NG R&P
T100-488-NG R&P
MK T100 MASTER KIT (ALL)
IK T100 MINI KIT (ALL)
SK CST100 SOLID PRELOAD SPACER
ARBRD129 AIR LOCKER
@jamesepoop
jamesepoop likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in