post #71 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 11:49 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Re: Moab, UT January 11-17

great shots, I have Moab fever now!
GRMREPR and sweptwingnut like this.

2010 FJC 4X4 AT, K&N air filter, 305/70/17 MT/Rs or Duratracs, NestahEdition Firestik II antenna, AllPro rock sliders, TRS HID headlights, Stebel Nautilus marine, Icon Stage 5, Total Chaos UCAs, ExpeditionOne WyoOtto bumper with Warn Zeon 10S and PIAA 510 Xtreme, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers, BMC, Ellis Precision stuff, AllPro spindle gussets, FJToyman shock skids, Boztec rear diff skid, Infinity speakers w rattle trap, Budbilt skids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)

For our last day in Moab we needed to get out of the FJ and stretch our legs a little. We did the typical lookouts in Canyonlands, hiked around Aztec Butte for the ancient aztec dwellings, and stumbled upon Jewel Tibbets arch (wife of Bill Tibbets from the book "Last of the Robber's Roost Outlaws: Moab's Bill Tibbets"). We then drove south of town for a shot at Wilson arch. Karen and I have passed through here a number of times over the years and have various photos of Wilson arch. It would just be a shame not to add the FJ to that collection.

Views from Aztec Butte.

Typical views from the Canyonlands road.

Jewel Tibbets Arch. What a crazy find!! We were on our way out of the park when I spotted this dirt road and made the turn. One last shot before we called it quits. Karen immediately noticed the Jewel Tibbets arch sign and freaked out with excitement. There was no turning back now!! We drove to the trailhead and took the 2 mile round trip hike and man was it worth it. The view of the arch is great in and of itself but it is the sound stage that will really get your attention. I have never heard a better echo effect in my life. A good YeeHaw and you could hear it echo no less than 7 times. I rate this one a must see and it is best if you have read the book.

The hiking trail is a loop out and back. Cool shelf along the way.

I have no idea the significance of this dome but it is on the trail going toward Jewel Tibbets arch.

View of the White Rim from above.

Wilson Arch. We now have pics of our dual sport bikes along with the FJ to the collection.

A quick shout out to:
  • Best Western Canyonlands. Great folks and centrally located to everything.
  • Singha Thai. Best Thai food ever!! I travel the world every month with work and have had my share of Thai but this is hands down the best. They take gluten free seriously and took extra care to ensure my food was safe. We ultimately ate here on 3 separate occasions.
  • Moab Diner. Best breakfast in town. Again, they take allergens seriously and ensured all my meals did not contain gluten. Great people, great food, great service.
  • Eckletic cafe. Best 'Americano' coffee. We stopped here every morning for coffee on our way out of town. They do it right! On a side note, if you have gluten issues, I can not recommend them. We tried there "absolutely no gluten" Huevos Rancheros and I ended up cutting our easy day short. Stick to their coffee.
  • Sunset grill. If you are looking for a "nice" sit down dinner then this is a great place. Best Ribeye I have had in a very long time.
  • Phillips 66. I got the best gas mileage from their 91 premium with two tanks at 15mpg and one at 17.6mpg. Worst was Chevron on both occasions at 11 mpg. Next up was Shell at 12.6 mpg. Not sure what is up with that....

Now to find some good TOTW and White Rim decals with black background and white letters.....

My Build Thread - The Boontoolies

post #73 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 07:50 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
sweptwingnut previously said: View Post
[*]Singha Thai. Best Thai food ever!! I travel the world every month with work and have had my share of Thai but this is hands down the best. They take gluten free seriously and took extra care to ensure my food was safe. We ultimately ate here on 3 separate occasions.[*]Moab Diner. Best breakfast in town. Again, they take allergens seriously and ensured all my meals did not contain gluten. Great people, great food, great service.
Agreed on both counts, two of my favorites.

Thanks for all the wonderful pics, very cool to see it in a different season.
sweptwingnut likes this.

Steve in MN
Sponsored by Blue Sun Corporation
2010 FJ, now with exciting grill and shifter knob mods

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 05:40 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Garage

Thank you for sharing some truly beautiful photography. Your wife has a great eye for such things....
sweptwingnut likes this.

~ Gary ~

TLCA #22816
TTR #157

"Think Outside. No box Required." - Author Unknown
post #75 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
texasnielsen previously said: View Post
Thank you for sharing some truly beautiful photography. Your wife has a great eye for such things....
My pleasure! Karen says Thank You very much!!
texasnielsen likes this.

My Build Thread - The Boontoolies

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Regional Forums > South West Region > Utah

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in