LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
AZ guy wanting to Camp in UT. Need Help on Locations

Hello UT FJCs

I am headed up to UT over the 4th of July weekend. I am visiting family and wish to camp.

They don't have a 4x4 so they mostly do park and hike camping with hammocks and don't know many trails/spots for the FJ.

So my question is:

Where in UT can we all drive in my FJ and they can find some sturdy trees to use their Hammocks?

Specific, I know, but thought I would check with some locals first.

Thank you for any help you guys can offer!

P.S.

If anything, just name your favorite trail (nothing too crazy) this is my daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 04:32 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Re: AZ guy wanting to Camp in UT. Need Help on Locations

Where in UT will you be? That time of year you will want to be at the higher elevations for camping.

All the mods and vehicles I have ever owned.

Anything less than absolute overkill is a half assed waste of time.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
UTEFJ previously said: View Post
Where in UT will you be? That time of year you will want to be at the higher elevations for camping.
Ill be in the Salt Lake Area. My Cousins mentioned the Uintas Mountain Range.
Looking into that right now.

Have any suggestions for High Elevation spots?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 02:30 PM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 343 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6896 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

There are a lot of places in the Uinta Mountains that are good. I've been going there for years as they just south of me and run to the west. Some of the areas I've been to are down near Kamas, UT along the Mirror Lake Scenic Loop. Lots of campgrounds and lakes there. If you follow that road, Highway 150 around until you're headed back north towards WY you'll drop down off the mountain and you'll pass several campgrounds and a Ranger Station. Shortly after that you'll cross the river and there will be a turn to the right that opens into a big parking area. You can follow that road up through the mountains all the way until you are south of Robertson and Mountain View, WY and then there are roads from there all the way east until you get to the Sheep Creek Geological Loop and Deep Creek up near the Flaming Gorge. Lots of open camping and Forest Service camps all over the areas. If you're into ATVs there are trails for them and motorcycles. There are also horse trails and hiking trails. Rivers and lakes. Lots of beautiful scenery. If you go through Kamas just out of town heading up the canyon on Hwy 150 there is a little store and smoke house off to the left called the Samak Smokehouse. It's worth a stop to pick up some of their fresh made jerky, smoked trout, and if they have any a local made Sarsaparilla.

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031

Last edited by BIGGUY; 05-06-2016 at 02:39 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 02:59 PM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 343 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6896 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

This link, if it works, will give you an idea of the route I mentioned. When you cross the river and then take the right I think it's listed as FR58. It used to have a name but for some reason Google isn't pulling up the road very well let alone names. I used to be able to go in and easily map this route and now it's a pain because it wants to map the route out to towns and then back to the forest and so on. If when going this route from Kamas and you happen to come upon the Bear River Lodge which is a collection of cabins, store, restaurant, ATV rentals, etc. that's about 1/8-1/4 mile past the turn off. You can also leave Salt Lake City on I80 and then when you get to Evanston take the exit for McDonald's and head to the right/south and follow it down. You can see that on the map in the link.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Shee...d40.643007!3e0

Once you turn off on that road near the Bear Creek Lodge it's dirt all the way to the end of the route. At the Sheep Creek area there is a paved road for the loop from the top down or out to the highway. There is also another road that drops down through Deep Creek with more camping and views and it comes out on the main highway maybe 5-10 miles to the east of the Sheep Creek road.

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031

Last edited by BIGGUY; 05-06-2016 at 03:02 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 08:18 AM
Forum Veteran

BIGGUY has already posted some great info. The areas he mentioned are my frequent stomping grounds for my wife and I. I have some spots I will post or pm you as well.

One thing to note is that it will be super busy up there over the 4th, so the earlier you can get out there the better.

-Scott

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Awesome suggestons guys. I really appreciate it.

I think we are going to head up near Kamas to camp. It's close, high up, hopefully cool and rain free.

Scott, if you want to give me a couple of good camping sites in PM, I'd appreciate it!!

Any more suggestions and locations would be great.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 06:47 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Cactusman previously said: View Post
Awesome suggestons guys. I really appreciate it.

I think we are going to head up near Kamas to camp. It's close, high up, hopefully cool and rain free.

Scott, if you want to give me a couple of good camping sites in PM, I'd appreciate it!!

Any more suggestions and locations would be great.

Cactusman - Did you have a chance to do some camping while up our way? Hopefully you did and had a great 4th.

-S

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Regional Forums > South West Region > Utah

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in