Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Iconic's Charcoal Canister Skid F.S.

34K views 194 replies 50 participants last post by  Iconic_ 
#1 · (Edited)
The charcoal canister skid plates may now be purchased on my website here: Iconic Fabrication

For those that follow my build know I like to tinker and build new stuff for my FJ. @debFJVT came up with the idea to add a little protection to the vulnerable plastic fuel vapor canister in the rear of our FJ's. If this plastic box is damaged it could end up costing you $550+ to replace with a new one. A little investment now can save you $ and headache in the long run, especially for those of us who play hard with our FJ's or just like to bolt on cool stuff.

I suspect these fit model years 2007 - 2012. Not '13 or '14.

Constructed out of 12 gauge 304 stainless steel and welded with stainless wire, you have the option of leaving the box bare metal and it will never rust. Install can be as short as 30 minutes and is completely bolt-on, no need to remove any connections to the canister either because it just slides over like a sleeve. These things are super beefy and fully boxed to protect every angle.

Research:
Install: Polishing a shiny turd
Reason: Charcoal canister skid?

Deb, @jamesepoop, @Firemedic831 , and myself already have them installed and working perfectly. Bolt it on and forget about it!!!

Feel free to ask any questions down below. Thanks guys,

-Devon

Machine Metal

Auto part Vehicle Motor vehicle Engine Car

Enclosure

See less See more
#3 ·
If your plastic box underneath the FJ looks like this it will fit. Like I said its probably 2007 - 2012 but double check!!! If anyone with a '12 or '13 could confirm I would appreciate it!

Vehicle Auto part Car Engine

The reason for the month long wait is to make sure once they are finished they will bolt on without any issues since I've only done one prototype run and have since made a few changes and would hate to tie anyone's money up that long.

#4 ·
I'm in.

Reactions: Iconic_
#23 ·
#12 ·
I have a 2013. Not sure if it looks the same or not. I have a 3 gallon air tank wedged between the charcoal canister and the rear crossmember so it’s hard to get a clear shot
Thanks for the detective work, unfortunately my skid plate will not work with '13 or '14 models then. It doesn't look like the front of your box has mounting holes. It's just clipped on to the metal mounting bracket?

#6 · (Edited)
Some searching and the charcoal canister comes up with two part numbers

It lists the production dates of your FJ as to which one you have. The first part number is compatible with 2007-2012 so I am assuming that is what you guys have. The second part number is compatible with 2013-2014. I have the newer and cheaper one. VIN sticker says mines was made in Nov 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Hi,
The 77740-35531 is for FJs from MY '06~'12.
The 77740-35540 is only for FJs MY '13 and '14 (the years with the air pump on the ezhaust and some other stuff added for increased emissions performance).

The -35540 size is different: (LxWxH)

-35531: 314x200x111
-35540: 340x200x92

Maybe Iconic would have to make a longer cover, perhaps? Note, though, that the mounting points did not change so maybe it will fit. Maybe gonna need someone to try it to be sure.

Norm

#9 ·
Just want to add my testimonial :angel I first became aware of the underprotected and expensive canister at Summit a few years ago when a moderately built FJ came back from a run with Christmas tree lights due to a smashed canister...and had to bail on the rest of their runs :frown When I heard the replacement cost I said to myself, not gonna let that happen! So this summer wheeling in Moab and Ouray I had the pleasure of zero anxiety about sliding down big ledges and navigating boulder fields because seeing that smashed cannister had haunted me. Good ol prevention :grin And best of all, I had an Iconic installation!! :blueblob:

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)
" It doesn't look like the front of your box has mounting holes. It's just clipped on to the metal mounting bracket"

The '13 & '14 charcoal canister attach to the body using the same 4 mounting bolts, in the same locations. Perhaps someone should try it to be sure (as long as those other dimensions I mentioned don't cause a problem).

Norm

#30 ·
New question: would this cover fit if an LRA aux tank was installed?
Not sure from the pictures if it would fit with the aux tank, the cover would have to hug the canister pretty closely. If I remember right there is only 1/4"-1/2" clearance between the tank and the canister is some spots. But I can't imagine you would need one with an aux tank. The LRA aux tank already covers the charcoal canister completely.

#27 ·
Put me down for one. Thanks!

Reactions: Iconic_
#31 ·
These trails around here are so tight and have all kinds of branches and stuff that get caught in the undercarriage.... This will be good/better piece of mind.

I already have to repair my inner tie rod boot and some plastic on my quad... damn sticks get jammed everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

#32 ·
These trails around here are so tight and have all kinds of branches and stuff that get caught in the undercarriage.... This will be good/better piece of mind.
I punched a hole in a fuel line on my FJ once with a stick. That could have gone badly next to the exhaust!