Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

*** Power steps ***

23K views 107 replies 27 participants last post by  DreDre 
#1 ·
After exhaustive searching for a company in the US selling power steps specifically designed for my FJ, I had given up. On a recent business trip to Australia I saw a company selling and installing them. I called and they said they don't ship to the US. They did finally tell me they would ship one for 2.5k US. Exchange rate = 3650 for power steps? No thanks. Another business manager I was in meetings with is from Quezon City and we started talking about this, he has a Tacoma. He knew a contact and so he called him. Come to find out that the distributor is in Quezon and I now have a direct connect to the manufacturer. Some of my friends here in Texas want them so I ended up ordering 20 sets. I will have 9 left over if anyone is interested. I can get a set shipped anywhere in the US for a total cost of less than 1K.

As soon as mine arrive, I will post pictures and videos. I have Amp Research power steps on my Ram 3/4 and 1 ton trucks at the ranch and the brackets look almost identical. I don't rock crawl, but I go through brush and mud daily. Power steps haven't had any issues so far. Not doing this for profit. Just trying to help out FJ owners in the same boat.

#10 ·
I thought the exact same thing seeing the 120 Prado, Tacoma, 4 Runner, and FJ use many of the same suspension components. The wheelbase is different, but is based on the same chassis. The FJ is 105.9 in wheelbase. Second generation Tacoma (2004 - 2015) wheelbase 109.4 to 140.9 depending what cab is selected. The 4 Runner has the same wheelbase as a second gen single cab Tacoma. The chassis mount locations would have to be modified and end caps of the steps as well. Modification costs and voided warranty made me turn away. When you factor in this cost in addition to the cost of the power steps. it doesn't make sense to do it this way.

I think I exhausted all avenues, but always willing to listen for alternatives. Thanks for the suggestion!

#12 ·
*** UPDATE ***

I have been in daily communication with the manufacturer. Going back and forth with design, I asked for the steps to be all black with no stainless, engravings, or logos of any kind. These steps will have a full length small LED strip for safety. This will only light when deployed. We are working out shipping now. Looking for a company to pick order up at seaport and setting up delivery to my house.

Attachments

#23 ·
If I pick up a kit, I want to add a double switch like this one to allow me to select whether or not each running board is active. One for passenger and one for driver. Fits Toyota switch cutouts. Could put it in the center console (only have one open slot) or behind the turn signal beside the RSCA button.

I may not want it going up and down if I'm offroading, and my wife who is fairly short will get a lot more use out of it.
I figure the easiest method would be to use it to interrupt the door switch circuit.

https://customswitches.com.au/product/custom-double-switch-to-suit-toyota/

Attachments

#57 ·
If I pick up a kit, I want to add a double switch like this one to allow me to select whether or not each running board is active. One for passenger and one for driver. Fits Toyota switch cutouts. Could put it in the center console (only have one open slot) or behind the turn signal beside the RSCA button.

I may not want it going up and down if I'm offroading, and my wife who is fairly short will get a lot more use out of it.
I figure the easiest method would be to use it to interrupt the door switch circuit.

https://customswitches.com.au/product/custom-double-switch-to-suit-toyota/
I am installing a dual switch for my rock lights. When it is set to auto, the lights will come on when steps are deployed. The on switch will turn lights on regardless of steps.

#30 ·
Update. I was sent a sample and didn't like the blue led. It doesn't have an option to change color. Besides, the blue light with everyone having different color FJ's, it doesn't look good. The manufacturer has molded new steps without light and they look awesome! They are sending me 10 extra sets over what I originally ordered. If you are for sure wanting a set, please PM me.

#33 ·
Thanks, Effro. Having H&H here in Pensacola is a great help. I see they sell three different brands?
I'm holding off on buying the power steps while waiting to see if I qualify for a wheelchair van through the VA. If I can't get it through them I may have to buy one outright, That will mean I have to sell my FJ. Shucks man I like it and want to keep it.
So wish me luck. I will get back to you.
OB

#37 ·
I have received multiple prices from shipping companies. Regardless of which carrier we ultimately go with, the price will be a little less than 1k. This is a total price to your door. As soon as they come in, I will post a video of the steps installed on my FJ for reference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.