New Shoes!!! Kooks & Comps. Pic HEAVY :) - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: New Shoes!!! Kooks & Comps. Pic HEAVY :)

you forgot one ~small~ detail. cha'ching $$$$
whats the damage on a setup like that? (spidertrax, rims, rubber)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

The new shoes look great and I'll second your thoughts about Discount Tire. I don't know if all the people who work at DT are as good as Matt and Travis who monitor the forum here but those dudes rock! I won't hesitate for a second in ordering from them again the next time I need rims or tires.

2007 Ti FJ Cruiser - 6MT
Current Mods
- 285/75R16 GY Duratrac on MB Razors (winter), OME 886/895, LR UCAs, All Pro Rear Lower Links/Skids
- AllPro skids, Expedition One front bumper/sliders, Metal Tech Rear
- JBA exhaust, TRD Intake & AFE Throttle Body Spacer
- AllPro air dam w/ 4 PIAA 540s, Gobi ladder & 20% Tint
-Ellis Precision stuff, Scangauge II
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 09:18 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Thanks for all the great comments guys. The reason I work for Discount Tire is because of service I received from them when I was a customer. Its always nice to hear compliments for our service.

Clemson, your FJ looks outstanding and your photos look great! Very nice work. Thanks for giving us the chance to help you and if we can help you more with anything else please let us know.

-Travis

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store: www.discounttire.com
To Your Door: www.discounttiredirect.com

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Found a Lower Delivered Price?

Need Tires for Your Camper or Trailer?

Help Discount Tire Support FJ Cruiser Forums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Hey guys. Sorry for the delay... I was gone all day yesterday driving down to the coast for that JM concert. I put about 510 miles on these tires yesterday so I'll post up some initial reactions.

For the first 200 or so miles they wandered a lot... tracking into the grooves in the road. It was pretty severe for a bit, I even questioned if my alignment was out somehow. Having never driven on MTs before I didn't know how they would react brand new. But after a couple hundred miles they calmed down and now drive true and straight!

These tires are QUIET! In all honesty there is only a minimal increase in road noise over my BFG ATs... I was stunned...

I ran them at 50 psi cold on the way to the beach... I got 18 mpg holding the cruise at 67 the entire way. I was very happy with that. I would soon find that some of that good milage must have been from literally driving DOWN to the coast... as on the way back UP to the upstate where I live I only got about 16.5 MPG on the exact same road with the exact same cruise setting.

Overall my initial reaction is that I love these tires. I'll try to go back now and answer some of the questions that were asked in my absence.

Craig

2007 FJC. 4x4 AT. Rear locker. Toytec Ulti 3" kit. Light Racing UCAs. Spidertrax 1.25". Body Mount Chop. 295/75/16 Hankook DynaPro MT. 16x8 ProComp Series 152. Trail Gear Rock Sliders. Custom Demello 3 hoop. Super 44. K&N Filter.

Rom. 1:16 "I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes."
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Mister Ed previously said: View Post
looks good! i think i've decided on my tires!
Thanks! All though I have only had these for about 600 miles... thus far I believe them to be a great tire.

Quote:
TUFF IFS LUX previously said: View Post
I agree with the rest of the posters....great size and great tyre
Thanks!

Quote:
yotadude previously said: View Post
Wow nice FJ! Not to sidetrack but how do you like that Toytec Ultimate lift? Any regrets or problems? Tires look great too.
I love the Ulti lift. I paired it with the LR UCA on the initial install so I didn't have any problems with getting my alignment set. I'd recommend this kit to anyone!

Quote:
Swingshiftworker previously said: View Post
Good choice!

I love the Hankooks on my OEM steelies. They're much better on and off road than the BFG ATs that I've used on other vehicles and that are still on a set of TRD wheels that I also own.
Thanks. And yes so far I'd take these over my ATs any day of the week.

Quote:
Gottagetone previously said: View Post
dig it!
Thanks!

Quote:
CaliChaos previously said: View Post
you forgot one ~small~ detail. cha'ching $$$$
whats the damage on a setup like that? (spidertrax, rims, rubber)
Ohh boy.... ummm too much? Is that an acceptable response? haha. I got a great deal from DTD but lets be real... Buying 5 new wheels and tires is a big investment.

Quote:
TiFJ previously said: View Post
The new shoes look great and I'll second your thoughts about Discount Tire. I don't know if all the people who work at DT are as good as Matt and Travis who monitor the forum here but those dudes rock! I won't hesitate for a second in ordering from them again the next time I need rims or tires.
Agreed.

Quote:
Discount Tire previously said: View Post
Thanks for all the great comments guys. The reason I work for Discount Tire is because of service I received from them when I was a customer. Its always nice to hear compliments for our service.

Clemson, your FJ looks outstanding and your photos look great! Very nice work. Thanks for giving us the chance to help you and if we can help you more with anything else please let us know.

-Travis
Thanks for all your help Travis!

Craig

2007 FJC. 4x4 AT. Rear locker. Toytec Ulti 3" kit. Light Racing UCAs. Spidertrax 1.25". Body Mount Chop. 295/75/16 Hankook DynaPro MT. 16x8 ProComp Series 152. Trail Gear Rock Sliders. Custom Demello 3 hoop. Super 44. K&N Filter.

Rom. 1:16 "I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes."
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 08:00 PM

Where did you get those caps? I can only find the wheel but no one has the caps to match =(
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Rrittichai previously said: View Post
Where did you get those caps? I can only find the wheel but no one has the caps to match =(
I ordered my wheels from DTD, who special ordered them for me directly from Pro Comp. DTD doesn't carry Pro Comp, but they can get them for you. So my wheels came with the center caps from Pro Comp.

That being said they were chrome, so I roughed them up with 220 grit and gave them the flat black rattle can treatment. Worked out great.

Craig

post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

We got about 5" of snow here in upstate SC over the weekend. These tires performed flawlessly. Granted, I do have a fair amount of snow driving experience compared to most SC drivers, but they handled the roads very well.

Craig

post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Looks great!

Quote:
Clemson FJ previously said: View Post
... yes, YES YOU CAN fit 5 33.6" tires INSIDE the FJ
Most impressive...

-Mike (W7FJC)
check out my BLOG thing...
AZFJ.org - Arizona FJ Cruisers!
Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 05:20 PM

I am running these tires as well and can say that I do like them. Ive had them since december and so far a great tire. I also am running the 295/75R16 size and like it.

I paid a little less than $950 for all 5 mounted and balanced.

They did well in the Mammoth Mtn snow storms, did well on high speed dirt roads (much better control than my BFG AT's) and seem to be wearing well.
This weekend we will see how they do in the sharp rocks (Calico). Calico previously chunked up my BFG's pretty good.

2007 6MT, Gold Coast Cruisers Edition -- Sold
1993 FZJ80 -

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in