Tire wear quesiton/clarification - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tire wear quesiton/clarification

I am pretty sure that I read this somewhere on the forums before, but just wanted to be sure. I have noticed that on my KM2's, the outsides of the tires are wearing quicker than the insides. I have about 10,000 miles on them, and it is noticable, but not terrible. I thought I read somewhere that it is due to the way the FJ's IFS is set up, and the tires will angle in a little bit, causing the outsides to wear more. Is this correct, or do i need to get my alignment checked? I just had service about 1,000 miles ago and really haven't done much offroading since then, but even over the KM2's life, I have done a lot of wheeling and my alignment has never really been off by much. Thanks for any help!

'07 5AT 4x4 BC:
Icon Ext. Travel Coilovers, Icon 2" Rear Springs, Icon 2.0 V.S. Rear Shocks, Icon Tubular UCA's, Granite Ga9's 17x8, Nitto Trail Grapplers 295/70/r17, Demello Single Hoop Front, All-Pro Rear, All-Pro Sliders, All-Pro IFS Skid, Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch, 20" KC LZR LED Bar, Rigid Dually Amber Floods, CCFL Halo Projectors, 50w 5000k TRS HID's, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Volant CAI, Kenwood DNX9980, 1.25" Spidertraxx, BMC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Re: Tire wear quesiton/clarification

Do you rotate your tires regularly? Are they inflated properly? Those two things, along with alignment issues, will be the biggest culprits of uneven tire wear. I have had several people tell me that if you don't keep those BFG's rotated, you will get a short life out of them. Hope this helps.

Mike

1997 LX450 - Acquired 8/1/14
2014 Tundra SR5 Louisiana Edition - Acquired 12/21/13
1978 FJ40 LandCruiser - Hachi - Acquired 04/07/10
2007 2WD SUN FUSION FJ Cruiser - Acquired 07/03/06 - Sold 12/21/13
1977 FJ40 LandCruiser - Acquired 05/30/09 - Sold 04/07/10

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Coldnapalm

i had a similar wearing problem on my tires aswell until i purchased a 9 inch wide rim

2007 FJC 6MT
Complete Mods
Vsc Switch
20% tint all around
AllPro 1.5" spacers
old fj link below
Coldnapalm's Rig - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Bang Bang previously said: View Post
Do you rotate your tires regularly? Are they inflated properly? Those two things, along with alignment issues, will be the biggest culprits of uneven tire wear. I have had several people tell me that if you don't keep those BFG's rotated, you will get a short life out of them. Hope this helps.
rotate every 5,000, inflated to about 40-42 PSI, depending on temp(which I have heard to be a good pressure for tire wear), while on the highway, my truck doesn't drift at all though. I'm just concerned because the insides have minimal wear, and the outsides they are almost worn down to the point on KM2's where on every other lug, they are split and then come together as one whole lug, if you look at KM2's, you will see what I am talking about.

I have some friends that have km2's as well, and my outsides at 10,000 look like his at 10,000 as well, but he is also in a dodge 1500.

on another tangent, I have another friend with a chevy 1500 that chewed almost halfway through his front to KM2's within 5,000 miles because his alignment was way off, I just don't want my wear to be bad either, ha

'07 5AT 4x4 BC:
Icon Ext. Travel Coilovers, Icon 2" Rear Springs, Icon 2.0 V.S. Rear Shocks, Icon Tubular UCA's, Granite Ga9's 17x8, Nitto Trail Grapplers 295/70/r17, Demello Single Hoop Front, All-Pro Rear, All-Pro Sliders, All-Pro IFS Skid, Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch, 20" KC LZR LED Bar, Rigid Dually Amber Floods, CCFL Halo Projectors, 50w 5000k TRS HID's, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Volant CAI, Kenwood DNX9980, 1.25" Spidertraxx, BMC.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Coldnapalm previously said: View Post
i had a similar wearing problem on my tires aswell until i purchased a 9 inch wide rim
yea, you've got 315's on 9 inch rims though, and I got 285's on 8 inch wide rims, but you never know, that could be part of it...

p.s. I like you new rims, ha

'07 5AT 4x4 BC:
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Coldnapalm

ahh didnt note you had x8's already, i think its the IFS because if you ever look at pics of fjs with 37;s or 40;s they have some serious lean lol, so maybe its minor with 33's but still there

2007 FJC 6MT
Complete Mods
Vsc Switch
20% tint all around
AllPro 1.5" spacers
old fj link below
Coldnapalm's Rig - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)

I would ask myself just a couple questions...

1) If you installed a suspension lift (Did you get a realignment?)

2) If your running stock oem rims...did you buy a larger tire that may require a wider rim width? If you purchase a tire that requires a 8.5 rim yet your oem is 7.5" that will be a concern.

3) Proper tire pressure and balancing + Proper tire rotation Intervals is critical...

Ask yourself... have you performed the basics ?

I have neglected many of these procedures and have always been dissapointed in the performance of brand X.

Fabtech 6" 20'BBS
Cooper STT 37" M/T,2:00 spacers,Bushwhackers,Toy All pro M-1 bumper,All Pro Air Dam & sliders PIAA 540
Snorkal, Manik tailight guards,Midland 75-822, Bandi 3' fire stick, K & N filter,Locker on demand, ATrac hack, VSC & DRL switches, TRD Cat back, Scuba Mod, Garmin Nuvi, BlueSeas 6 fuse block,10.5K Recon Winch,Dual battery,leather seats,dual factory DVD players, Diamond trim, Source 10lb, Rubber mats. Swingout bumper,Mad Dog armor, EBC rotors,TRD pads,T-Rex grill,Yukon4:56

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in