nitto?? or yokohama?? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
nitto?? or yokohama??

i found the nitto terra graplers i want for $170 each, its a pretty good price. but then i found the yokohama a/t-s for $120 each and now i cant decide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 07:41 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Re: nitto?? or yokohama??

Quote:
rich mendoza previously said: View Post
i found the nitto terra graplers i want for $170 each, its a pretty good price. but then i found the yokohama a/t-s for $120 each and now i cant decide.
I cannot comment on the Yoko's, but I just scored a set of Terra Grapplers (LT's) and they are the most awesome tires I've ever owned. I have two FJ's and I'm putting another set on my other FJ this upcoming weekend.

Go for the LT's (10 Ply E Class). They should last forever. But if you don't offroad, you might want to consider the P's (4 plys). The tread on the LT's is really deep. Much deeper than the P's/

2010 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Special Edition
2012 VW Touareg TDI Lux (Diesel, yes!)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 68 Post(s)

I've had the Yoko's on mine for 4 years. They are P-rated stock size and have been holding up really well. My only gripe is they were'nt any good in really cold weather. I have about 75k Km on they and this is their last summer. They've held up fine for light off-roading. (Better than Toyo Open Country which I think are related to Nitto. I had those on an full size chev and put small rock through the tread on first 2 trip off road. Never happened with the Yokos on the FJ same areas same driving.) I've rotated them often. Sligthly noisier than stock. No aquaplaning, great wet traction and have stayed balanced. Maybe a little rougher than stock but they track better. Never had a problem with traction except below -10C. I have dedicated winter tires on steelies. Depending on the type of wheeling you do they could do the trick. Like it was mentioned, the LT's have deeper treads but are also much heavier reducing mpg's and performance a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 09:10 AM
fka yotaman

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
rich mendoza previously said: View Post
i have the terras...ive had them on my fj for almost 30k...they still look almost brand new...the ride is great and never had a traction problem with them...i would also recommend the LT's....if u like the terras but not the price u could look into some toyo's...they are almost the exact tire...i think they are even made by the same company

08 Ti

"When 4lo locks, the bullshiit stops" - Ryan Mashburn

ROLL TIDE ROLL

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Forum Master

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Iíve used the Yokohama A/Tís on my old Subaru Forester and they were awesome. They held up great in slush and mud (yes, I abused the Subaru), and were fantastic on the freeway. They would be great for a daily driver that goes off-road on the weekends. If I can get rif of my stock Duelers, I'm getting the Yokohamas.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had the Terra Graplers but hated them. They were no good in the snow or heavy rain in my opinion. I went with the Cooper Discoverer STT as a replacement.

Note: I have 2 Terra Graplers still in good shape to anyone reading this that may want them pm me.

07 6MT Black Diamond w/ Black+Red out
Demello single hoop flat top bumper
Smittybuilt XRC8 winch
Cooper Discoverer STT 285/70r17 on stock wheels
Rough Country Performance 2.2 shocks
Toyota Rock Rails
Custom Rear Cargo Box
Custom CO2 Tank
Custom Built RTT
CTTHROT Build Thread

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in