Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

american racing atx artillery... finish issues

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  J-Rock! 
#1 ·
ive had these wheels (teflon coated) for about 1 year. 1 new york winter. the teflon finish on the wheels has held up OK, but the centercaps are trashed, all the paint is peeling off, and the chrome on the fake bolts is peeling off, revealing an orange rust color underneath. even the spare that never touched the ground all year is peeling. is it me or is that just piss poor quality? anyway the warranty is only very conveniently one year, so im going over some options as to what to do with them. I am not buying new wheels since i just spent over 2 grand last year on wheels and tires. i would like to get everything resprayed flat black (centercaps, wheels and also spray the chrome bolts black as well).

does anyone have any experience with these mobile wheel repair companies such as fixrim? or awrswheelrepair? they come to you and repair them in a box truck whici is like a mobile spray booth.

or should i just buy some spray paint and have at it?

#2 ·
Man, if you want to do it right, have them powdercoated. If you want to do it on the cheap, rattle can your ass off!

#4 ·
I have the atx thugs on mine. Teflon coated as well. I love the wheel and it's finish but re center caps are garbage. Mine are a push through and they fit so tight that they got scratched during the install. I don't think they are coated with the the same Teflon finish. I think they are painted. Anyway, paints vomit off mine after 1.5 years. The center snap in caps are garbage too. Lost one on the road. I in welded them all on. No reason to ever remove them.

#5 ·
yea my centercaps are push through as well, and the same thing happened to mine, they scratched when i rotated the tires. i also lost one of the plastic snap in parts to the centercap on the road. stupid design. i looked into those wheel repair shops, its not worth it unless your wheels are worth more than 200 bucks per and you only have to do one or two of them. at 130 per wheel i could buy a new set for about 100 bucks more. im probably going to go through the winter with these and then have them powdercoated next season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.