Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

will 285 x 70 x 17 fit a stock fj?

14K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  Z'sFJ 
#1 ·
i dont want to modify anything, will these tires fit without rubbing the wheel wells or anything else? approx 1" larger diameter than 265 x 70 x 17. i've read so much on tires my head can explode, is there a definitive yes/no on this? sorry, if this has been posted before, i'm obviously new here...

#6 ·
They will fit under stocker but off road they will probably rub. Levelling kit would be a good idea. I just did the 2in front spacer and 285s will definitely fit without issue.

Don't ask why but after being in here for years I will tell you it is a crap shoot as to whether they will rub your body mount. Most (not all) AT tires will fit without rubbing. Many (not all) MTs will probably contact your body mount during hard turns with the wheel assembly cycling vertically. To be sure 100% you need to find a tire shop that will let you test fit. It is the only true way.

#8 ·
It depends on two things. First one is width. The closer you are to 11 inches the better. Too wide means you will rub. The second is whether the shoulder is squared, like BFG's, or rounded like most brands. The rounded shoulders have a better chance of not rubbing. Hope this helps.

Zane

#17 ·
For my rig i am doing the 285/70/r17 duratrac's and i have MHT Fuel wheels (17x9")

What do you mean by "closer you are to 11 inches the better", the width?

Will these tires fit on my stock height FJ with these wheels?

#11 ·
ummm, not if i drop down to a 16" rim, wheel diameter is basically the same on 285 70 16 as the stock 265 70 17. please correct me if my math is wrong... dueler h/t 840 stock size is 31.7" total diameter based on manufacturers specs, nitto trail grappler m/t in a 285 70 16 total diameter is 31.89" based on manufactureres specs....

am I missing something here? i'm assuming .19" isnt going to affect my rig???

#13 ·
265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapler is 3/8" away from the mud flap at full lock... I test fitted BFG`s 285/70/17 and they rub on the flap at full lock. I think pretty much all tires in 285/70/17 or 285/75/16 will rub on the mud flap at full lock. Flap is easy to mod though :)

#14 ·
so, you are basically stating its the additional 20mm in width that would potentially cause the rub at full lock, because the difference in height is nothing? the difference in width from the stock tires at 10.7" to trailgrappler 285 70 16 is .8" Thats what i need you good folks for. maybe i'll just have to look at getting some toyo open country m/t's. they have a 285/70/16 that lists width at 11.1, which is interesting that its the same size as the trailgrappler and a 265/75/16 that i believe is the stock size on the 2007 fj trd

#16 ·
No you aren't missing anything. The two tires, 265/70-17 and 285/70-16, are basically the same. The difference is the width. If you run wheels with the stock offset there won't be a problem. I am guessing that the wheels you want don't have the stock offset. So, between the wider tire and different offset of the wheel you will rub. I hope this helps.

Zane

#21 ·
darn, i didnt really want to have to do a chop. Look like i will have to. I was hoping a 2.5" OME lift would avoid that.

My wheels are
MHT Fuel Krank -
Wheel Size: 17x9
5 on 4.5 and 5 on 5 bolt pattern
Offset: -12
Backspace: 4.5

Tires i got were
Goodyear Duratrac
285/70/R17

Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: ladder63ff
#23 ·
Even with a lift it could still rub. You won't know until you try. There is one other option. Get yourself some aftermarket UCA's. Dial in as much castor as you can which may give you more clearance for your wheels and tires. There are some threads in the forum on this subject.

Zane

Reactions: ladder63ff
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.