Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Trail or mud

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  skersfan 
#1 ·
I don't do any extreme off roading, mainly up Colorado trails and such. But was wondering all around what would be the better tire choice the nitto trail grappler or mud grappler.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#2 ·
You know typically a AT will get MUCH better wear than a MT tire. Additionally MT tires are louder. You likely will do just fine with the trail grappler...... Do you like money...if you do at least look at treadwright.com.

#4 ·
I have the Nitto Trail Grappler's, they are great tires but I probably won't buy them again because they are wearing too fast for my liking. I'm thinking of either the Nitto Terra's next time or some BFG AT's.

#10 ·
At about 42,000 on mine, I have 10/32 tread remaining (as measured by Firestone at my alignment last Friday).

Not saying the second half will wear as slow as the first, but I was expecting to be replacing tires at 40K, not barely getting them worn halfway.

#7 ·
Mud grapplers are down right badass, but I see them on mall crawlers too much. The trail grapplers are more common with real wheelers, and tend to get better wear, and are quieter and handle better on road. I personally am running KM2's right now, which I have around 35k miles on (impressive for an MT), and should get at least another 10-15k out of them. I wheel a lot, mud, rocks, trails, and they have held true through all. They also have decent road manners and aren't too noisy. I am considering going with the trail or mud grapplers next for a change of pace though.

#9 ·
We spend 4 to 5 months a year exploring National parks and the BLM territories. Spend most of the off highway miles on logging trails, rock paths and back country. We have not done rock crawling. We have the BFG AT’s and are just putting on another set at 65000 miles. They have been unbelievable for “road and off-road”!

#11 ·
My buddy and I have done some of the more challenging trails in Colorado with mud tires. I run mud tires and he has BFG All Terrains. Two situations where my tires were clearly better: in the rock garden at "Spring Creek" when it started raining and turned it all into mud; and at a high altitude trail in early June when going through deep snow drifts.

I recommend an AT tire for you.

#12 ·
I truly believe the best tire out there right now is the Goodyear MTR Kevlar. I have had mine for almost a year now with a good 30K on them and they are still at above half of wear. Will clean in mud like nothing I have ever used, KM2's ,AT<Nitto Grappeler and mud. They work in snow, work in the rocks, in the slime, climb pretty much anything. I very seldom hear the sound of spinning or slipping on the toughest trails.

I can honestly say I will never own another KM2. I have been through 2 sets of them, and they are like using a road tire compared to the MTR. They seem quiet to me, as the KM2's were quite noisey, and wore out quite fast, never more than 20K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.