H-Speed Rated Tires on 2011 FJ - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
H-Speed Rated Tires on 2011 FJ

Hello All--

I have searched, but have been unable to find any information regarding my question.

I am looking to replace my Dunlop (stock) tires for a new set in 265 70 17. I went to Costco and looked at their tires and am considering Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenzas. I am driving nearly all highway/city miles and may encounter some snow, but that happens infrequently.

Costco has two versions available for about the same price. One is an H-rated 265 70 17 and the other is an S-rated in the same size. The H-rated has a lower tread wear rating. I do like the fact that the H-rated is all black where the S-rated has white letters on one side. Yes, I know I can mount the white letters in, but would rather get an all black tire, if possible.

My question: Setting the tread wear rating aside, are there drawbacks to putting an H-rated tire on my 2011 FJ? The guy at Costco said he has heard other SUV owners say the H-rated tire was "skittish." He was NOT referring to an FJ owner, but "other" SUVs. I don't want to place too much emphasis on what some Costco customers have said, but also cannot find any information to reject the "skittish" comments, either.

Conversely, is there an advantage to an H-rated tire on an FJ Cruiser?

Anyone here have any information to help me out?

Thanks!!

Last edited by NWFJ; 11-27-2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Added information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 01:16 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: H-Speed Rated Tires on 2011 FJ

I would say the only 'drawback' to having an H-Rated (sustained speeds up to 130mph) tire on your FJ is that it is a waste of money for a vehicle speed-limited to 115mph. You won't get any more tread life out of them and I have yet to see a decent All-Terrain tire in an H rating. Most will be R (106mph), S (112mph), or T (118mph) rated, and the heavier all-terrain or mud-terrain tires that a lot of owners are running are actually Q (99mph) rated.

That being said I bought the H-rated Bridgestone H/L Alenzas for my girlfriend's Mitsubishi Endeavor back in 2007 and they were the best tires I've driven on any FWD Crossover. Very stable at highway speeds and good in the wet for many more miles than her OE tires were.

But for an FJC that's almost exclusively driven on pavement I think you need to look at some of the newer 'hybrid' tires that have all the capability and durability of a highway all-season with an added dash of all-terrain capability. Therefore I submit to you (in alphabetical order)...

The BFG Rugged Terrain (not the older Rugged Trail)...

Cooper Discoverer A/T3...

Falken WildPeak AT (aka Falken Rocky Mountain ATS from Discount Tire)

Goodyear Wrangler Adventure...

These are all milder versions of more aggressive, 'true' all-terrain tread designs. They all have P-Metric versions in either S (112mph) or T (118mph) speed ratings, are not going to effect your mileage or braking performance by adding unnecessary unsprung/rotational weight, would be comfortable and long-wearing on pavement, and would give your FJC better than OE traction on any surface. I am currently running the BFGs shown above because I commute +50mi every day and have to drive a couple hours to get anywhere I want to camp. The crappy OE tires took me down 65mi of soft, sucking sand on Padre Island National Seashore and Central TX isn't rife with tough wheeling trails so this tire is working really well for me. A good friend of mine has the Falkens on his 80-Series Land Cruiser and is very happy with them as well.

Why cheat yourself out of some of your vehicle's go-anywhere performance if you don't have to?

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: H-Speed Rated Tires on 2011 FJ

Thank you, SWITAWI.

I appreciate your information and based on it have decided to not look any further at the Alenzas.

This week I am going to look at the Coopers and the BFGs at America's Tire. I am also going to look at some of the Michelin offerings at Costco.

Thanks again!

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in