Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

What did you do with the tires you replaced?

3K views 39 replies 30 participants last post by  Noisycow 
#1 ·
Anyone who has read this part of the forum over the past few weeks knows that I've been bitten by the "Better Tire Bug." I've pretty much decided on, and priced, the tire I want. However, my conservative, tight wad, side has a real problem replacing decent tires with only 8,000 miles on them. In addition, I don't want to have to deal with storing 5 tires in my already cramped garage. So, I thought I'd ask what you folks did with the tires you took off your rigs when you upgraded.

#3 ·
I'm in the same predicament as you Tony... I can't seem to wrap my head around tossing tires that only have 3000km on them.

#5 ·
Find a Yukon that needs tires...

I will be trading in my Dunlops on some BFG's this week.

what tire did you finally decide on?

#6 ·
if you have used tire repair shops by you,, (not the big name guys,, the ones that are small and sell take off wheels hubcaps etc. ) at least you'll get some money for them
Just something this tight wadder does to release the guilt of swapping out something that is new/ fairly new

#13 ·
For me I either live with the slicks envy other FJ's with the real rubber, while waiting for them to be warned out or buy the damn things and forget about it. But I got lucky, that my friend with the Tacoma bought them from me for $500.00 Now he is happy and so am I. Life is too short to wait for something thats gonna make you happy!

#17 ·
I have pair of studded snow tired in my garage form a vehicle that I haven't seen (or owned) in th 2 years...... That said I plan to throw some new ProComp MT's on some standard Black steel wheels. I'll keep the stock alloy's and tires in the garadge and I plan to swap out the wheel&tire combo depending on what I'm doing for that week(end).

I have done this in the past and if you have the stuff (i-wrench, jack, ect) the swap only take about 20 minutes......

#19 ·
my rottie and pitbulls love to toss those donuts around.

#22 ·
Sold on Craigslist for twice what Discount Tires offered to pay for trade for BFG ATs. Sold in two days.

#24 ·
Have take-offs on one set of wheels and the Revos on the other. For daily drives I use the stock H/Ts, and for trail/dirt duty I put on the bigger Revos. I figure I'd keep the stockers and go back and forth, until I can't stand 'em anymore. I have both them and my Revos on craigslist and on here. But I am not in California or whereever Craigslist works best. No worries, since it does not cost you anything to post it for sale.

Basically, I want to keep my alloys for posterity, but want to put either MTZ's, Cooper Discoverer STTs, Hankook Dynapro MTs, or procomp Xtreme MT's in stock size on my set of stock 17 inch steelies.

#29 ·
Sold all 5 for $250. The right guy stumbled on my ad...he hasn't bought a brand new set of tires in something like 8 years. Just buys tires from guys like me. :) He had a GMC 1500 pickup...same size tires as the FJ. He had a set of wheels on it from an Escalade...pimpin' the chrome. I guess he pad $200 for those. All four wheels and tires! Anyway, there are people out there looking for these almost new wussy tires.
Granted, $250 ain't a ton, but it's better than nothing. Why hang onto tires that you will NEVER use again?

#30 ·
Bought my FJ in November, got it one week prior to leaving for a hunting trip in Wy. Didn't have a whole lot of time to mess w/ getting new tires prior to leaving. Had dealer swap out the stock tires and give me BFG's on TRD rims. That only ran me a few hundo...dealer said they sell them back to Toyota (at a lower price, of course, cause they are then considered used). Tires and rims then they go to a Toyota auction for dealers and some body shops, so he said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.