Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

285/75/16 on TRDs

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Racer001 
#1 ·
I'm looking at putting 285s on my stock TRDs with a 2-2.5" lift. Do I have to worry about rubbing on the control arms or an other parts of the suspension. I know the Tacoma guys have had trouble with factory rims with too much backspacing making the tires rub. Is this the case for FJs?

#2 ·
I have the 17 inch wheels and do not have an issue. There is about 1/2 inch clearance between the tire and control arm.

#3 ·
You will be fine.

I have had no problems with mine. :)

#5 ·
I just put 285/75/16 Firestone M/T's on my TRD wheels last week and they fit fine. There is about half inch between tire and control arm, and no body mount rub.

#6 ·

No problem with mine....

#7 · (Edited)
Great thanks guys

I looked at it last night and I think the thing it would hit is the outer most part of the upper a-arm. Wasn't sure how the combo of the wider tire and lift would work as far as putting the sidewall right next to the arm but it sounds like I'll be good.

#12 ·
the reports i've received leads me to think you have to at least level the front end.
i have/had the revtek leveling kit with 285/75/16 mud-terrains and my neighbor liked the way they looked so he put them on his non-lifted ride and the front rubbed a bit (don't know where/when he just said that it did) so he went out and got a toytec lift put on.
which is of course the real reason why i'm in the process of getting the all-pro lift put on, gotta stay one ahead of the neighbors...
seriously - i don't know if he actually experienced the rubbing or wanted an excuse to give his wife to lift the truck.

it's a good size and if you can fit it they look cool and ride really well on our trucks.

- fox shocks fully re-built and ready to be put on, macnchz will be complete today -
WOO HOO!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.