Anyone running KO2s in 295/75r16 with BMC but no lift? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Anyone running KO2s in 295/75r16 with BMC but no lift?

Did a search but found nothing regarding this specific tire and size... I'm aware of the tire various stickies on the subject, but also know there are many tires that are exceptions to the rule.

The KO2 in a 295/75r16 is 33.3" tall and 11.6" wide... Hoping to get away with a BMC but no lift...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: Anyone running KO2s in 295/75r16 with BMC but no lift?

I have the 265 75/16 no issues just big enough no lift
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 08:17 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Iconic_ previously said:
LEDLIYFJL: Live Every Day Like Its Your FJ's Last
Mad Maxxine Build - 2007 Fresco Silver Metallic
My Travels: http://www.downtownfotos.com

Last edited by jamesepoop; 08-24-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage

If it helps at all, I have the Ko2's in 34x10.5r17 on the SEMA TRD wheels and an Icon Stage 2 kit and they rubbed on the body mount. Not sure where you're sourcing rubber but Discount was willing to test fit both sizes I was considering before I made my decision. Seems to me any reasonable shop would, so long as they have those sizes in stock.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 06:40 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to iwashmycar

It will work pending UCA clearance. Offroad you will probably rub if you stuff a tire, but with a body mount chop you should be just fine for the day-to-day. I drove around 295/75/16s Grabbers on stock wheels (truck leveled) with no BMC for about a week. I could only turn the wheel one revolution but it worked!

The 34x10.5x17 isn't a comparison. That's like a 265/82/17. So narrow you don't get the same problems.

-Adam

'07 Black Diamond 4WD AT UR

TLCA #22985
295s | 3" | BL | Lights | Armor | Rails | Snorkel | CB | Dent(s)
Feb. 2017 Member of the Month
In the Midwest? OHIO FJ Owners

Last edited by iwashmycar; 08-22-2017 at 08:50 AM. Reason: PIC
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 11:04 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Garage

I have a buddy who did this.
We live in the mountains of Colorado and drive on forest roads. He was fine on hardtop, but when every he had to turn steering to full-stop, esp in reverse, he had bad rub.

He debated between spacers and BMC. A neighbor with skills and a grinder solved it for him.

Don't risk $1K+ without the right clearance. And Don't ruin the suspension geometry with spacers

IMO, Either get proper off set wheels or get a BMC, if you'll be doing any off roading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin | Eagle County, CO

#2 2013 Trails Team Edition | Concrete with Custom Black Top | ARB Front Bumper with Smitty Winch | Toytec Adjustable Lift with Heavy Duty Springs; Bilstein 5100 extended travel in rear | Bed line on Plastic Components | BPRM cat back exhaust

#1 2008 Sunburst Yellow | Manual AWD | Super Charger | Other goodies | RIP after accident: FJ vs Elk Herd and guard rail

Last edited by kevinrfoote; 08-23-2017 at 08:05 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
kevinrfoote previously said: View Post
I have a buddy who did this.
We live in the mountains of Colorado and drive on forest roads. He was fine on hardtop, but when every he had to turn steering to full-stop, esp in reverse, he had bad rub.

He debated between spacers and BMC. A neighbor with skills and a grinder solved it for him.

Don't risk $1K+ without the right clearance. And Don't ruin the suspension geometry with spacers

IMO, Either get proper off set wheels or get a BMC, if you'll be doing any off roading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for this. Glad it worked out for him... So once he got the BMC he was okay? Or did he need to get levelers or a lift? My truck is a TTUE, so the front comes leveled from the factory... I don't go in for crawling, it's more of an overland build. That said there are ruts, bumps, etc. etc... Similar to fireroads in Colorado. Since, in fact, I'll mostly be on fire roads in California, ha ha. Wondering about top-of-tire clearance, issues with bottoming out, etc...
kevinrfoote likes this.

Last edited by Route66; 08-23-2017 at 04:10 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 07:39 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Route66 previously said: View Post
Thanks for this. Glad it worked out for him... So once he got the BMC he was okay? Or did he need to get levelers or a lift? My truck is a TTUE, so the front comes leveled from the factory... I don't go in for crawling, it's more of an overland build. That said there are ruts, bumps, etc. etc... Similar to fireroads in Colorado. Since, in fact, I'll mostly be on fire roads in California, ha ha. Wondering about top-of-tire clearance, issues with bottoming out, etc...

BMC was all he needed. Though there is some chance of the OEM upper control arms getting run in some circumstances, but nothing major.

Regarding leveling kits. PLEASE, don't compromise with spacers. I know all too well how my rig started to tell me how I had to spend money to do things right.

My '08 was factory suspension and I beat the hell out of it - even with an ARB bumper. I bought a used '13 that someone modded for being a Main Street cruiser.

I've broken many things. Mainly because of spacers and poor suspension mods.

There are some decent moderate-priced 2-3" suspension options perfect for whAt you do.

All this said, my buddy wasn't running 33-34" tires.

Separate thought for consideration: I ran the KOs for years and would burn through tread very quickly (every 20K miles). I thought I'd give the Nitto trail grappler (AT) a shot. I like them more and they are the only ATs with the aggressive look that came with a mileage warranty.

I've found them great on the forest roads and crawling in Utah. I have 33" 295s. Wasn't sure what to properly set the PSI at and they felt horrible. Nitto customer service had an engineer call me back, ask me questions about my specific set-up (bumper, winch, etc.) and then dialed me in to recommended PSI for highway, forest roads, and airing down in Utah. I'm a NITTO fan now.

Kevin | Eagle County, CO

#2 2013 Trails Team Edition | Concrete with Custom Black Top | ARB Front Bumper with Smitty Winch | Toytec Adjustable Lift with Heavy Duty Springs; Bilstein 5100 extended travel in rear | Bed line on Plastic Components | BPRM cat back exhaust

#1 2008 Sunburst Yellow | Manual AWD | Super Charger | Other goodies | RIP after accident: FJ vs Elk Herd and guard rail

Last edited by kevinrfoote; 08-24-2017 at 07:49 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

So I called an audible at the last minute and went for some Firestone Destination MTs in 285/75r16. They're 33.1", so on the larger side for that size. They fit great, no rubbing I could discern on my TTUE.

I had Destination MTs on my Jeep, they were pretty great. A very aggressive MT that also has good highway manners.

Looks great on my truck. Been a busy week with the new tires and new stereo. I'll post some pics soon in the "what did you do to your FJ today" thread...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 06:08 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to iwashmycar

congrats!
Route66 likes this.

-Adam

'07 Black Diamond 4WD AT UR

TLCA #22985
295s | 3" | BL | Lights | Armor | Rails | Snorkel | CB | Dent(s)
Feb. 2017 Member of the Month
In the Midwest? OHIO FJ Owners

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in