Comparing 285/70/17 and 285/75/17 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Comparing 285/70/17 and 285/75/17

Hello all, first want to say that I've been reading parts of this forum for a few months now, but finally writing my first post. Awesome to have a huge online community of FJ enthusiasts that can share information and ideas, everyone on this forums seems helpful and that is great and very appreciated from a new guy like me.

I just got a 2011 Army Green FJ with the matching roof (NSSE or Not So Special Edition) as I've heard it referred to. it is bone stock minus some ugly chrome aftermarket wheels that will soon be gone. I have plans for a build and am excited to get started modding it.

The first thing I'm going to do is a lift and wheels/tires. I'm getting the King 3" coilovers and rear shocks, as well as Total Chaos UCAs. Gonna leave the rear springs for now. I'm also gonna get some 17" methods. Now the tire size is where I need some input.

I like the look of the 285/70 in certain builds, but after seeing the 285/75, it looks to fill the wheel wells better and seems to fit "right" with the FJs body. My concern is, I REALLY don't want any rubbing whatsoever, on or off road. Keep in mind I'm not a hardcore rock crawler. 90% of this vehicles life will be spent on pavement. I do go up to the local mountains on the weekends and hit the trails.

So what I'm asking is, with a 3" lift, would it be unrealistic for me to expect zero rub with the 285/75/17 tires? If I need a BMC, I'm not opposed to it. I also don't want to have to regear or loose too much power. Would I be better off going thrn285/70 route? Anyone with experience with either of these wheel sizes please share you're thoughts, photos would be greatly appreciated as well.
Gallaticus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 08:48 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I ran 285/70/17 first with a lift an no BMC without any rub. Then I swapped to 285/75/17 Ridge grapplers. I needed a BMC. Essentially the two sizes have the same width about 11.5” but the 285/75 is an inch taller so it does fill the wheel well better. The tires were heavier by 10lbs each but nittos are heavier anyway than others. You do feel it with accelerating and braking but you don’t need to regear.

Pic is with Ridge grapplers 285/75/17

New and old side by side

2013 Iceberg AT 4x4 | Ghost FJ Build | Instagram

Last edited by Loganbeere; 01-12-2018 at 11:49 AM.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 11:35 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Comparing 285/70/17 and 285/75/17

Quote:
Cmarriott previously said: View Post
Hello all, first want to say that I've been reading parts of this forum for a few months now, but finally writing my first post. Awesome to have a huge online community of FJ enthusiasts that can share information and ideas, everyone on this forums seems helpful and that is great and very appreciated from a new guy like me.

I just got a 2011 Army Green FJ with the matching roof (NSSE or Not So Special Edition) as I've heard it referred to. it is bone stock minus some ugly chrome aftermarket wheels that will soon be gone. I have plans for a build and am excited to get started modding it.

The first thing I'm going to do is a lift and wheels/tires. I'm getting the King 3" coilovers and rear shocks, as well as Total Chaos UCAs. Gonna leave the rear springs for now. I'm also gonna get some 17" methods. Now the tire size is where I need some input.

I like the look of the 285/70 in certain builds, but after seeing the 285/75, it looks to fill the wheel wells better and seems to fit "right" with the FJs body. My concern is, I REALLY don't want any rubbing whatsoever, on or off road. Keep in mind I'm not a hardcore rock crawler. 90% of this vehicles life will be spent on pavement. I do go up to the local mountains on the weekends and hit the trails.

So what I'm asking is, with a 3" lift, would it be unrealistic for me to expect zero rub with the 285/75/17 tires? If I need a BMC, I'm not opposed to it. I also don't want to have to regear or loose too much power. Would I be better off going thrn285/70 route? Anyone with experience with either of these wheel sizes please share you're thoughts, photos would be greatly appreciated as well.
Well, the timing of this question couldn't be better as I just installed Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/78/17's (load C, I personally feel load E is too much on the FJ but I am not bad mouthing the choice). I finally stepped up from the OEM 16in wheels with 285/75/16's as my FJ is also a daily driver and not a rock crawler. IMO the 285/75 is the PERFECT tire size... for me. It really fits nicely with no other modification other than a BMC. I am not 100% certain the BMC is needed but I got mine done right before I went to the tire shop for the install, thus I never mounted the Nittos with the body mount still in place. I do have SPC UCAs as well.

I don't expect any rub on full stuff in the front or rear(no sway bar and Metal Tech LT) but I should note that I also have a 0.5" body lift and I did also remove my fender flares... completely a personal choice for aesthetic reasons. The body lift was preemptive for getting better access to shock bolts more easily, having more clearance for the rear spare tire to bumper and thinking about 35's in the future

I will get you a few pics of the tire clearance to the BMC shortly. I live in CO and driving in the mountains with no re-gear just means slow and steady unless I want to be in high rpms all the time. I literally just got these installed on Tuesday 1/9/18 so I can't really comment on acceleration and braking just yet. In the first 20mi I've driven I don't feel like it was extremely noticeable though.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nitto 1.jpg
Views:	1012
Size:	366.8 KB
ID:	983017   Click image for larger version

Name:	nitto 2.jpg
Views:	3023
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	983025   Click image for larger version

Name:	nitto 3.jpg
Views:	922
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	983033   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMC.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	983041   Click image for larger version

Name:	juniper.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	983049  

Last edited by darkhorse13; 01-12-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 11:47 AM
Forum Veteran

Garage

Quote:
Loganbeere previously said: View Post
I ran 285/70/17 first with a lift an no BMC without any rub. Then I swapped to 28/75/17 Ridge grapplers. I needed a BMC. Essentially the two sizes have the same width about 11.5Ē but the 285/75 is an inch taller so it does fill the wheel well better. The tires were heavier by 10lbs each but nittos are heavier anyway than others. You do feel it with accelerating and braking but you donít need to regear.
^^ I agree with all of this... little more rolling weight but no immediate need to regear. But hey, who doesn't WANT to regear

John
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 11:48 AM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
darkhorse13 previously said: View Post
Well, the timing of this question couldn't be better as I just installed Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/78/17's (load C, I personally feel load E is too much on the FJ but I am not bad mouthing the choice). I finally stepped up from the OEM 16in wheels with 285/75/16's as my FJ is also a daily driver and not a rock crawler. IMO the 285/75 is the PERFECT tire size... for me. It really fits nicely with no other modification other than a BMC. I am not 100% certain the BMC is needed but I got mine done right before I went to the tire shop for the install, thus I never mounted the Nittos with the body mount still in place. I do have SPC UCAs as well.

I don't expect any rub on full stuff in the front or rear(no sway bar and Metal Tech LT) but I should note that I also have a 0.5" body lift and I did also remove my fender flares... completely a personal choice for aesthetic reasons. The body lift was preemptive for getting better access to shock bolts more easily, having more clearance for the rear spare tire to bumper and thinking about 35's in the future

I will get you a few pics of the tire clearance to the BMC shortly. I live in CO and driving in the mountains with no re-gear just means slow and steady unless I want to be in high rpms all the time. I literally just got these installed on Tuesday 1/9/18 so I can't really comment on acceleration and braking just yet. In the first 20mi I've driven I don't feel like it was extremely noticeable though.

John
Looks great! Those wheels are hot. Whenever I get new wheels I will go with bronze as well.
darkhorse13 likes this.

post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 11:50 AM
Forum Veteran

Garage

you heard it here first... bronze is the new black!

sorry OP, getting off topic
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 11:53 AM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
darkhorse13 previously said: View Post
^^ I agree with all of this... little more rolling weight but no immediate need to regear. But hey, who doesn't WANT to regear

John

I've logged 5000 miles on these new tires. They are E range. I never noticed a difference going from stock duelers to E range tires maybe because my truck is a heavy pig. I did notice a big difference in braking response with switching to TRD brake pads shortly after swapping tires. Will be swapping to stainless steel brake lines as well.

Last edited by Loganbeere; 01-12-2018 at 12:42 PM.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 07:00 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)

Nice! Glad to see the responses. I'm planning to switch from 285/75R16 to 285/75R17. Has been wondering about the gearing.
darkhorse13 and Loganbeere like this.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Awesome, thanks for all the responses, very helpful.

HeisKia, why are you thinking about switching sizes? I was also considering the 285/75/16
darkhorse13 likes this.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 10:20 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
I want larger diameter for performance and look. I wanted to do 35 but those are all wider. I have to put spacers to clear some suspension components. Then the front end will be too wide as I already have +3.5 long travel. So 285/75/17 is the only option to go bigger diameter without going wider.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in