Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

P vs. LT tires?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Woodsman 
#1 ·
Certain tires of the same size come in both Passenger (p) and Light Truck (lt). When buying tires which type should I get for the FJ? I only ask because Passenger tires are usually cheaper. I don't plan on towing anything or carrying heavy loads.

#3 · (Edited)
P = p-metric or passenger car tire (also used on SUVs and 1/2 ton pickups)
LT = light truck tire (some people use them on 1/2 tons but mostly 3/4 & 1 ton pickups)

As 1983FJ60 said, the LT is beefier in general, firmer, more weight carrying capacity . . . and they often have many more plys (twice as many in many cases) and are generally more resistant to punctures, cuts, etc.

If I remember correctly, a P tire is up to 4 plys and LT tires come in C (6 ply), D (8 ply), and E (10 ply) weight carrying capacities and allow higher air pressures. Some P rated tires come in an "extra load" version which handle more load than a standard P tire. LTs are heavier and the extra weight will affect mileage. Many run them at lower pressure for a softer ride but then that also eats into mileage.

Unless you off road quite a bit and feel you are pretty abusive of your tires, a P tire is all you need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.