Pizza Cutters - what PSI for street? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
bkw
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Pizza Cutters - what PSI for street?

To all the folks running pizza cutters, how much pressure are you running on the street?

I had my Maxxis Bighorns down at 35 then did the horizontal chalk test and found that I was running them a bit low. Upon a few more tests I found that 43lbs would give me optimal wear results, while being still somewhat comfortable.

Is it the height of the sidewall that requires me to run higher pressures?

Anyone else care to share?

Brian

Demello | OME | TRD | Pioneer | Maxxis | Bajarack
R.I.P. AJK - 9.11.01 - Never Forget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Pizza Cutters - what PSI for street?

I'm running my SS SSR 35 X 10.5 X 16's at 45 psi. I prefer to have them slightly over-inflated than under since it does help with mileage. And, I would prefer to be running on the center lugs of this tire than the outers...

See me on ih8mud...
'07 GSJ15, well enhanced SOLD
'97 FZJ80 OME J
'77 FJ45
Olde North State Cruisers TLCA delegate
Train Hard, Rest Harder
TLCA 17784 - FCC KJ4KGF
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 99 Post(s)

Quote:
bkw previously said: View Post
To all the folks running pizza cutters, how much pressure are you running on the street?

I had my Maxxis Bighorns down at 35 then did the horizontal chalk test and found that I was running them a bit low. Upon a few more tests I found that 43lbs would give me optimal wear results, while being still somewhat comfortable.

Is it the height of the sidewall that requires me to run higher pressures?

Anyone else care to share?
I'm running 35's in a 60 series 13" 40psi and will get some Pizza cutters on some different rims to keep my height. In the past I have aired up to 45psi and if the ride is to rough than I come down 2lbs at a time. I found that I usally work my way up depending how heavy I ride loaded down. I wanted to get a better mileage and between 45 and 47psi the tires are firm and the tread wear is even. I believe the side wall height is the culprit.

Fabtech 6" 20'BBS
Cooper STT 37" M/T,2:00 spacers,Bushwhackers,Toy All pro M-1 bumper,All Pro Air Dam & sliders PIAA 540
Snorkal, Manik tailight guards,Midland 75-822, Bandi 3' fire stick, K & N filter,Locker on demand, ATrac hack, VSC & DRL switches, TRD Cat back, Scuba Mod, Garmin Nuvi, BlueSeas 6 fuse block,10.5K Recon Winch,Dual battery,leather seats,dual factory DVD players, Diamond trim, Source 10lb, Rubber mats. Swingout bumper,Mad Dog armor, EBC rotors,TRD pads,T-Rex grill,Yukon4:56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
bkw
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Thanks! I had thought it was a little odd that these tires need more air than their 265 and 285 brethren.

Brian

Demello | OME | TRD | Pioneer | Maxxis | Bajarack
R.I.P. AJK - 9.11.01 - Never Forget.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Don't run my 34x10.5 LTBs everyday, but when on pavement on the way to the trails I put 45lbs in them. I tried them at 50lbs and 55lbs, but they just made the rig shimmy more. I get a weird balance issue when I run them that high, that seems to disappear when I run them at 45lbs. And believe me, it took lots of lead to balance this wheel/tire combo.

Depending on your tread pattern (and I think the SSR's and LTB's are similar enough) the goal is to put enough PSI in to get the sidewall lugs off the pavement. What mtbcoach and I do is put enough in to lift the side lugs off and run primarily on the center tread pattern which is a smoother, quieter ride. Also, with certain rubber compounds, you can tear off those side lugs under high speed turns.

I think you'll just have to do a your own empirical testing (trial and error) to find out what works best. Also if you are going to run them daily, then you will need to find a compromise between 1) even wear, 2) smoother ride and 3) balance.

Rick C ~ ~ I aim to misbehave. 2007 GSJ15//Ti Ag//4WD AT
My garage
Build Thread
Where Do You Want to Take Your Truck?

Upstate Cruisers
LcLC, GA Cruisers, SFC, ONSC, STLCA - guilt by association
TLCA #16667
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Forum Superstar

Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
BMThiker previously said: View Post
Don't run my 34x10.5 LTBs everyday, but when on pavement on the way to the trails I put 45lbs in them. I tried them at 50lbs and 55lbs, but they just made the rig shimmy more. I get a weird balance issue when I run them that high, that seems to disappear when I run them at 45lbs. And believe me, it took lots of lead to balance this wheel/tire combo.

Depending on your tread pattern (and I think the SSR's and LTB's are similar enough) the goal is to put enough PSI in to get the sidewall lugs off the pavement. What mtbcoach and I do is put enough in to lift the side lugs off and run primarily on the center tread pattern which is a smoother, quieter ride. Also, with certain rubber compounds, you can tear off those side lugs under high speed turns.

I think you'll just have to do a your own empirical testing (trial and error) to find out what works best. Also if you are going to run them daily, then you will need to find a compromise between 1) even wear, 2) smoother ride and 3) balance.
Well said...

See me on ih8mud...
'07 GSJ15, well enhanced SOLD
'97 FZJ80 OME J
'77 FJ45
Olde North State Cruisers TLCA delegate
Train Hard, Rest Harder
TLCA 17784 - FCC KJ4KGF

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in