Fed Up with Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:53 AM
Forum Beer Miester

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Fed Up with Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws

Quote:
FJC650 previously said: View Post
I really wanted to like these, but, so far, these have been nothing but a headache. I purchased five of these in 265/70R17 SL from America's Tire (Discount Tire in CA) and had them mounted to brand new TRD Pro wheels. My FJ is stock height.

In the last 3 weeks, I've been taken them back to America's Tire 3 times to have them rebalanced due to terrible vibration and wandering from 40-70mph. My FJ never had these issues with the old Bridgestones, and tracked perfectly. It seems that the technician even had to stack a bunch of wheel weights in layers on top of each other, three high, to try to get the wheel to balance properly without success. On the third try, they ordered two new AT3Ws and put all five tires on the road force balance machine. This helped, but there's still slight vibration.

Then yesterday. I stepped out of the FJ and glanced at the front driver's side tire to find that chunks of the tread blocks have fallen off. I walked around to check the other three tires, but those were fine. I checked the pressures on all five tires, and they were anywhere from 32-33.5 psi, normal.

Maybe I was unlucky and had tires from a bad batch. But in speaking with one of the techs at America's Tire this morning, he said that this same exact thing happened to another customer with a 4Runner. He says some of the AT3Ws are just not round, unfortunately. Good grief. I actually shied away from KO2s after reading of similar issues.

So, here were are. They're ordering 4 new Wildpeaks today to see if they can make it right once and for all. We'll see what happens. Just a heads up, in case anyone else was thinking about purchasing these tires. Falken has to work out some quality control issues.
Those pieces torn from the leading edge of the tread blocks look like theyíve been caused by wheel hop possibly. If thatís the wheel having a hard time holding weight itís possible that tire isnít perfectly round and fixing it with weight simply wonít work. Itíll continue to throw weights and this slight damage will become more evident as the tire begins to scallop from rapidly changing forces as it spins.
amaclach likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 06:44 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
I envy you, lol. Reviews like yours are what influenced my decision to go with the AT3Ws. In all fairness, they are incredibly quiet. And the guys at America's Tire have been super helpful during this process. I'm still holding out hope that they'll work out, but I kinda don't wanna get my hopes up. Will keep you posted.
You know for what its worth your air pressure to me anyway seems low. (30-32) I run mine at (48-50) .If you look the side of your tire the max air pressure (cold) is 65. Maybe your pressure is so low that its chipping the edges of your tread. Air up and see what happens.
Thorn661 likes this.

Steve.... 07 FJ with almost enough mods.... August 2017 Member of the month
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:50 AM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 3224 Post(s)
Garage

They look like blems to me. Some dealers receive blem tires often to be competitive in pricing. My distributor sent me a set a few years back. We caught it before we mounted them. I called them up, they said the blems must have gotten mixed up in a regular batch and they would offer me a discount credit. I told them I have another tire distributor also. They kindly sent me a set of 'regular' production tires and I still use them as my main distributor. I would ask the dealer if they are receiving blems.

I used to have major problems with Falken tires on a normal basis. After selling hundreds of sets of High Country AT, I was starting to notice wear issues and even warrantied a few sets. Falken left a really bad taste in my mouth after that and so I would not buy. I know they spent millions in their R&D department shortly after that but I was still reluctant to try them again. I have only sold the new Wildpeak MT lately after reading some reviews and having a few customers who requested them. So to get my own opinion of the tire, I ordered up a set for the shop's '96 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4 but I don't have enough time on them yet to review. Personally, I don't really care for the looks of the AT3W and am a huge believer of Cooper AT3 (which have 4 different compounds now, 2 with aggressive sidewalls). If it ain't broke, don't fix it! They simply work and work well as an All Terrain tire and fit a price point well below BFG, and they simply last longer without the drawbacks of the newer thin sidewalls that BFG and others are using now. I am also about 20,000 miles into a set of General Grabber ATX tires and am very confident in that product now as well as their Grabber X3. As @Thorn661 mentioned, I run Yokohama Geolandar M/T G003 on our FJ and am pleased so far. I sell tires and use them on our company, personal, and our kid's vehicles and we use them hard. I only want to sell what I know works.
SilvFx, amaclach, Thorn661 and 2 others like this.

"Silence is Golden......Duct Tape is Silver"

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

Member of the month-October 2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:37 PM
Forum Beer Miester

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
CabinCruiser previously said: View Post
They look like blems to me. Some dealers receive blem tires often to be competitive in pricing. My distributor sent me a set a few years back. We caught it before we mounted them. I called them up, they said the blems must have gotten mixed up in a regular batch and they would offer me a discount credit. I told them I have another tire distributor also. They kindly sent me a set of 'regular' production tires and I still use them as my main distributor. I would ask the dealer if they are receiving blems.

I used to have major problems with Falken tires on a normal basis. After selling hundreds of sets of High Country AT, I was starting to notice wear issues and even warrantied a few sets. Falken left a really bad taste in my mouth after that and so I would not buy. I know they spent millions in their R&D department shortly after that but I was still reluctant to try them again. I have only sold the new Wildpeak MT lately after reading some reviews and having a few customers who requested them. So to get my own opinion of the tire, I ordered up a set for the shop's '96 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4 but I don't have enough time on them yet to review. Personally, I don't really care for the looks of the AT3W and am a huge believer of Cooper AT3 (which have 4 different compounds now, 2 with aggressive sidewalls). If it ain't broke, don't fix it! They simply work and work well as an All Terrain tire and fit a price point well below BFG, and they simply last longer without the drawbacks of the newer thin sidewalls that BFG and others are using now. I am also about 20,000 miles into a set of General Grabber ATX tires and am very confident in that product now as well as their Grabber X3. As @Thorn661 mentioned, I run Yokohama Geolandar M/T G003 on our FJ and am pleased so far. I sell tires and use them on our company, personal, and our kid's vehicles and we use them hard. I only want to sell what I know works.
My first job was a tire shop and we would get blems all the time. The owner would offer them at a discounted price but would always tell the buyer up front and there was no warranty involved. I ran a set of 295/50 blems for years on my F100 and they did wear fast but that was mostly my fault.
CabinCruiser likes this.

post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:22 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)

Are these tires P rated or LT? Load range E?

Just so that I can put things in context.
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:07 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
ArupFJ previously said: View Post
Usually Yokohama as well as Nitto and Toyo have been very good to be in different applications over time, had severe balancing issues on my FJC with BFG KO2 so never again.
Toyota could never balanced my factory Dunlop AT20's right nor the KO2's. Discount Tire nails the KO2's perfectly every time. I tell Toyota not to touch the balance of my tires. I always get a vibration at 55-60 mph when Toyota did the balance. Every time Discount Tire did it, it was perfect. Might have just had a bad shop with a not as great balance machine. They are wearing perfectly for me. I'm around 12k miles on them.

2014 Iceberg FJ, CRAWL Control, Rear Diff. Lock, ATRAC, Eezi Awn K9 Roof Rack, Hella Aux lights, Rear Chase Lights, TRD Ultimate Edition Suspension, TRD Pro 17" rims, BF GoodRich KO2 285/70/17, Eezi Awn 1400 Series 2 Roof Top Tent, National Luna Dual Battery Controller, Optima Yellowtop 34/78 Battery
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks, all, for the info/input. I had no idea that they would sell blemishes. Besides just asking Discount Tire, how could I tell if they were blemishes or not? Are they marked a certain way?

The ones I picked up were SL, or P rated tires.

I'm looking at Coopers and Yoko's as a plan B for now.
rotorhed1 likes this.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:58 PM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 3224 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Thanks, all, for the info/input. I had no idea that they would sell blemishes. Besides just asking Discount Tire, how could I tell if they were blemishes or not? Are they marked a certain way?

The ones I picked up were SL, or P rated tires.

I'm looking at Coopers and Yoko's as a plan B for now.
Every company has their way of marking a blem. Some are an ink spot other than the usual colors which are typically red, yellow, green, or white. Some may have a stripe across the tread somewhere too. You would probably have to contact Falken to find out for sure.

P=passenger, SL=Sidewall Load, usually indicating a stronger sidewall but they are usually still considered 4 ply rating, and may be load range C. They will handle a heavier load than standard 4 ply rated tires. Tires that have the "LT" before the size will typically be stronger and have better sidewalls than those with none or a "P"(passenger car rated), and will have a "C", "D", or "E" load rating and higher ply rating consequently.

You can't go wrong with Coopers. I've sold them for many years and I have yet to warranty one. That's not to say that things can't happen to them, but typically it's an alignment, shock, or driver fault.

Let us know the end result.
amaclach likes this.

"Silence is Golden......Duct Tape is Silver"

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

Member of the month-October 2017
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:07 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)

I have Cooper Discoverer AT3s and like them. I went with them partly because they are a load range C. A bit more than a P rated tire but I didn't see the need for E rated either. I run them at 35 psi and they are wearing evenly.

Also they have a similar tread style to the ones that you have. Again an in between pattern, not highway not mud.
CabinCruiser likes this.
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I love my Falkens, but if I was you I'd be talking 5 tire replacement with the dealer and Falken....not rebalancing.
CabinCruiser likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in