Fed Up with Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:29 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Re: Fed Up with Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws

I run the Wildpeak AT3W on my LR3 and I had them road force balanced on the first installation because I wanted to avoid issues. I had them installed at our Cadillac (and former Saab) dealer because we have always had a Saab and fully trusted the guys there to do it right. Some tires took 6-7oz of weight and they could not get 2 tires below 35 lbs of road force. Around town they are definately smooth and quiet. On the highway they are great until about 70 and then there is a slight vibration that progresses with increased speed. It's not enough to cause issue or be any kind of safety concern, but I notice it.

It's frustrating because these have been my favorite tire so far, they have not slipped on any surface (dry, wet, snow) and are quiet for the tread design. I am really torn as to whether I will buy them again. My wife just got a set of Yokohama Geolandar AT 1015 to replace her Duratracs (which got so loud it was a joke after 25,000 miles) and she is thrilled - she says hands down they are the best tire she has driven on. Her only gripe is that the design is not as beefy as she would like, but then again, they probably would not perform as well if they were "beefier" - we're all forever chasing the perect tire!

Last edited by Catman; 04-11-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I've been through virtually every tire brand between my 3 jeeps, 2 pro-4xs and FJ over the last 8 years. My Falkens are the best at I've every used (especially for road noise). I bought on Amazon and exclusively use a small local tire shop for install. This was the best decision I ever made. I took my FJ to Toyota twice before to get an alignment and balance on my prior set of Wranglers and first time it almost seemed like I had death wobble it would get so bad on the interstate.

I think your problem is with the shop, not the tire. Looks like they are sticking you with some blems and some $10/hr installers.

I'm over 12k in of interstate and hard off-roading over the southwest and Texas and they barely look broken in. Also, I run 48 psi and check it weekly.
CabinCruiser likes this.
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

All tire manufacturers make bad tires from time to time. I had four square BFG all terain's. Nothing would balance them. BFG comped them out. After two great sets it was a big surprise. I switched to Goodyear and love my Wranglers. This set is great. The next set???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:53 PM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2748 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Thorn661 previously said: View Post
Those pieces torn from the leading edge of the tread blocks look like theyíve been caused by wheel hop possibly. If thatís the wheel having a hard time holding weight itís possible that tire isnít perfectly round and fixing it with weight simply wonít work. Itíll continue to throw weights and this slight damage will become more evident as the tire begins to scallop from rapidly changing forces as it spins.
I've seen this on BFGs in the past. The scalloping gets quite pronounced.
Thorn661 and CabinCruiser like this.

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

Nannies Off Mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post1183262
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage

I've put almost 40,000 on my LT285/70/17E's over the last 3 years. I'm doing a 5 tire rotation and have been really happy with them. I've had a few balancing issues but it's been from one particular shop. Of course it's the one that is most convenient but a stop at a different DT shop has corrected it both times. They run smooth on the highway and around town and are wearing like iron. I've only had one time where they didn't grip on some super slick clay and would be interested to try them on snow. I live in FL and haven't traveled north in the winter yet. They seem to be pretty hard and are getting loud though. I've read that there have been more issues with the p-metrics than the LT's. They stunk to high heaven for the first couple of months that I had them. I won a set of KM3's at last years Appalachian Toyota Roundup and just received them (I was holding out for a size that was not being produced yet but ended up with same 285's) and am torn if I should just keep running the Falkens or switch to the KM3's now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3063.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	1075254   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3066.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	1075256  
CabinCruiser likes this.

2008 FJ - Sandstorm. Leveled - Bilstein 5100's - 285/70/17E Falken Wild Peak AT3W's - BMC - Light Racing Upper Control Arms - All Pro sliders - Rokmen Trailing Arms - Cobra 75 WX ST / Boztec / 3' Firefly - Baufeng UV-5R V2+ - Blacked out factory wheels and trim.
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I vote put on the KM3s for aesthetic reasons only. The Wildpeaks are good tires but the KM3 looks the part....
Murph's Law likes this.
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
UPDATE: Just took it in to install the new Wildpeaks they ordered last week, only to be told by the manager that he had received an e-mail from Falken this morning informing of a recall. Great.

He said that Falken is still determining the production codes on the defective tires, so he will keep me posted. But until then, all Wildpeaks are being taken off the shelves.

Debating on whether I should give it another shot, since these seem to be a defective set. Or just go with something else completely. This is my fourth visit to America's Tire. Maybe the 5th time's a charm? Bummer.
CabinCruiser likes this.
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:30 PM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 3225 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
FJC650 previously said: View Post
UPDATE: Just took it in to install the new Wildpeaks they ordered last week, only to be told by the manager that he had received an e-mail from Falken this morning informing of a recall. Great.

He said that Falken is still determining the production codes on the defective tires, so he will keep me posted. But until then, all Wildpeaks are being taken off the shelves.

Debating on whether I should give it another shot, since these seem to be a defective set. Or just go with something else completely. This is my fourth visit to America's Tire. Maybe the 5th time's a charm? Bummer.
You don't have to wait for someone to get back in touch with you. Check it yourself:

DOT Tire Recall Form | Falken Tire

Do you know how to find your DOT stamps on your tires? They look like this:

"Silence is Golden......Duct Tape is Silver"

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

Member of the month-October 2017
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thank you. I just entered my info in that recall form above, but after I pressed "submit", the response was "Thank you for your application to be a brand ambassador..."?? I have no idea what just happened there, lol.

So, three of the five tires, including the scalloping front driver side tire, have the same DOT number DA70 3MDR0719. We'll see what they tell me about that and the rest.
CabinCruiser likes this.

Last edited by FJC650; 04-15-2019 at 02:42 PM.
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:50 PM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 3225 Post(s)
Garage

IDK, I pulled that link off my dealer's site. It's probably just for us but now you're registered and will probably hear back from either Falken or the dealer. The dealer should have done this while you were there, so at least something may happen now.

"Silence is Golden......Duct Tape is Silver"

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

Member of the month-October 2017

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in