Fed Up with Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws - Page 4 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Re: Fed Up with Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws

Quote:
FJC650 previously said: View Post
UPDATE: Just took it in to install the new Wildpeaks they ordered last week, only to be told by the manager that he had received an e-mail from Falken this morning informing of a recall. Great.

He said that Falken is still determining the production codes on the defective tires, so he will keep me posted. But until then, all Wildpeaks are being taken off the shelves.

Debating on whether I should give it another shot, since these seem to be a defective set. Or just go with something else completely. This is my fourth visit to America's Tire. Maybe the 5th time's a charm? Bummer.
I just contacted Falken directly regarding this recall, since my mom just purchased Wildpeak AT3W's for her truck. The friendly representative who wrote back to me said that there are no current recalls on the Wildpeaks, and indicated that the information you received is incorrect (I directed them to this thread).

I'd suggest you contact Falken about this issue directly, since it appears this shop may not be telling you the truth?

I hope all this works out well for you and you are able to get a new, better set of tires! I had a similar tread issue with a set of Goodyear Wranglers a while back, but had never had that issue with those tires on previous purchases. I switched to Nitto Terra Grapplers and have been happy with them, but am realizing the issue may have been with that particular set of tires and not that tire model in general.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thank you for this. I did call Falken this morning and spoke to QA rep named Valerie, who confirmed that there are no current recalls on the Wildpeaks. She was aware of this thread. She and her manager were concerned about the false information getting out there about the reputation of the Wildpeaks, so they ended up contacting the manager of the shop to straighten things out.

The manager of the shop called me this afternoon to say that there was a mix up, and that the e-mail he received on his end showed a recall without specific details, but indeed the rep had called him to explain that there was not. He said that they can go ahead and install the new tires.

At this point, I don't know if it was a miscommunication or what, but I can't help but to feel like something shady has been going on, or that I've been d*cked around. Still, I'd like to have faith in people, and give them the benefit of the doubt. I'll be going in on Monday to have a new set installed. It'll be visit #5 .

Quote:
Kauri previously said: View Post

I just contacted Falken directly regarding this recall, since my mom just purchased Wildpeak AT3W's for her truck. The friendly representative who wrote back to me said that there are no current recalls on the Wildpeaks, and indicated that the information you received is incorrect (I directed them to this thread).

I'd suggest you contact Falken about this issue directly, since it appears this shop may not be telling you the truth?

I hope all this works out well for you and you are able to get a new, better set of tires! I had a similar tread issue with a set of Goodyear Wranglers a while back, but had never had that issue with those tires on previous purchases. I switched to Nitto Terra Grapplers and have been happy with them, but am realizing the issue may have been with that particular set of tires and not that tire model in general.
Kauri and CabinCruiser like this.
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:15 AM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 3225 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

I figured something would happen. Hopefully they take care of your concerns as a good shop should always be doing.

"Silence is Golden......Duct Tape is Silver"

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

Member of the month-October 2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
UPDATE: Went in this morning, and they swapped out the two front tires with new ones (the two rears were already replaced during visit #3 ). The manager did it himself, to make sure everything was checked off. He said that the driver's side front tire was so out of round that it needed 11 weights to balance it out, which was unacceptable.

I've since driven it about 20 miles or so, both on the freeway and surface streets, and everthing seems A-ok, so far. Due to time contraints, I'll drive it around some more on the weekend to see if anything turns up.

I feel better about it, overall. I think it was just a case of bad luck that sometimes happens with different tires. Although this whole thing took way too long to fix, it seems like it's good now, and I'd probably do business with America's Tire again. Maybe, probably. Lol.

Have a great rest of the week, everyone! 🙂
CabinCruiser likes this.
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The neverending saga continues. The vibrations persist, so the manager took it out for a spin himself. He says that he felt shaking in the front and rear. He thinks that the TRD Pro wheels may not be compatible because of the difference in rim width (going from 7.5" wide steelie to 7" TRD Pro), and the difference in offset. He says that changing out the wheels pinched the tires in, and also effectively decreased my track width, which is causing loss of overall stability.

Can someone verify the info about the track width? I was under the assumption, after much reading, that the TRD Pro wheels would increase my track width by half an inch on both sides, for 1" overall?

They're now swapping out the fronts one more time. Worst case scenario, I'll have to put my old steelies back on with the Wildpeaks, I think. I'm super disappointed that this is happening, especially that these aren't oddball rims. They're pretty popular for FJs. Sigh.
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 03:39 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey

Sounds like a load of poppy coc.k.

I'm running the TRD Pro rims as is my boss on his 4runner and our salesman on his Tacoma.

No one is having shakes, shimmies or other issues. All different brands of tires and the 2 shop trucks have their tires swapped with winter tires and back again to summers.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 03:43 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey

Just had another thought:

Are you sure you purchased legit TRD rims and not a knock of set?

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
mikey previously said: View Post
Just had another thought:

Are you sure you purchased legit TRD rims and not a knock of set?
Yes, they're legit. I ordered them from a Toyota dealership online.
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
mikey previously said: View Post
Sounds like a load of poppy coc.k.

I'm running the TRD Pro rims as is my boss on his 4runner and our salesman on his Tacoma.

No one is having shakes, shimmies or other issues. All different brands of tires and the 2 shop trucks have their tires swapped with winter tires and back again to summers.
And this is why I just don't understand it. 😭

They want to rule out that it's the rims, so they're gonna swap them back to the OEM steelies next week to see what happens. If the shakes persist, then those Wildpeaks just arent meant to be. They've ordered a set of KO2s.
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 05:45 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Fed Up with Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws

Quote:
FJC650 previously said: View Post
And this is why I just don't understand it.

They want to rule out that it's the rims, so they're gonna swap them back to the OEM steelies next week to see what happens. If the shakes persist, then those Wildpeaks just arent meant to be. They've ordered a set of KO2s.

Good luck one way or another but those KO2ís have there own problems with balancing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Iceberg AT 4x4 | Ghost FJ Build | Instagram

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in