Will this set up work? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Will this set up work?

I’m looking to use Pro comp series 32 with a 4.5 offset https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/pro-co...BKBQ-7032-7983

Also looking to buy Falken AT3 275/70/r17 https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/falken...-BBQN-28030907

Would this set up work on my FJ w/o a BMC or a lift? I’m running a stock set up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Re: Will this set up work?

Bump:

Could anyone give me a little guidance? I'm new to the mods scene and read a couple of the forums here breaking down back spacing and offsets, but I'm still not understanding how to determine if this set up would fit my stock FJ.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:35 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
CullenJC previously said: View Post
Iím looking to use Pro comp series 32 with a 4.5 offset https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/pro-co...BKBQ-7032-7983

Also looking to buy Falken AT3 275/70/r17 https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/falken...-BBQN-28030907

Would this set up work on my FJ w/o a BMC or a lift? Iím running a stock set up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Hi @CullenJC , welcome to the forum.

I run a basically identical wheel with the same offset and a slightly larger tire. I have just a touch of rubbing on the driver's side, but not enough to do a BMC. But I'm not sure that helps you a lot, I have a 2" lift. Unfortunately, I think most of the active posters on the forum are owners who have done a lot of mods--most of which included a lift at some point. It's harder to find the info you're asking about with a stock suspension setup.

Personally, I'd ask 4WheelParts if they would mount one on the front and let you drive it around the parking lot to see if it would rub before mounting the rest. They did that with me and said I could return it if it rubbed.
FJFool, Mulie and CullenJC like this.

2007 Black Cherry AT
A-Trac | TRD Cat-Back | OEM Sliders
Mods
Bilstein 6112/5160 | Wheeler's T12 Rear Springs | ProComp A/T Sport 285/70R17 | ProComp Series 41 Wheels | Ricochet Skid | RCI LCA Skids | Diode Dynamics SS6 Wide/LED Mirror/Interior Lights | IPF 968 Lights | ARB CMKA12 Compressor | Uniden Pro510XL | Bandi | 4'/2' Firesticks | Orangeboxx/Springtail Molle Racks | Iconic/Apex Overland Recovery Points | Rad Rubber

Calamity Jane is my Co-Pilot and Herbie is along for the ride!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:30 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)

FYI....stock wheel is 4.84" backspacing and 7.5" wide. Your suggested changes will push the wheel outward (streetside) by 0.34" (diff in backspacing) + 1.5" (difference in wheel width)...so roughly 1 7/8" further outboard. Now try to picture that while your wheel/tire combination is turning. Now some people like coming further outward to give the FJ a wider stance. I frankly dont like that because it looks poorly sourced to me where tires/wheels stick out beyond the fender flares (that and the sides of your vehicle get covered with dirt, sand, mud, rock chips etc.

Also, I find that a 285 width tire fits fine on a 7.5" wheel. You are talking about going with 275 width on a wheel that is 1.5" wider. I frankly think that will want to stretch the tire bead a bit too far (think low rider wheels/tires). With a 275/285 width, I wouldnt use a wheel wider than 8". A 16x8 or 17x8 with 4.5" backspacing would work just fine.
CullenJC likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
CRFjockey previously said: View Post
Hi @CullenJC , welcome to the forum.

I run a basically identical wheel with the same offset and a slightly larger tire. I have just a touch of rubbing on the driver's side, but not enough to do a BMC. But I'm not sure that helps you a lot, I have a 2" lift. Unfortunately, I think most of the active posters on the forum are owners who have done a lot of mods--most of which included a lift at some point. It's harder to find the info you're asking about with a stock suspension setup.

Personally, I'd ask 4WheelParts if they would mount one on the front and let you drive it around the parking lot to see if it would rub before mounting the rest. They did that with me and said I could return it if it rubbed.
Quote:
SilvFx previously said: View Post
FYI....stock wheel is 4.84" backspacing and 7.5" wide. Your suggested changes will push the wheel outward (streetside) by 0.34" (diff in backspacing) + 1.5" (difference in wheel width)...so roughly 1 7/8" further outboard. Now try to picture that while your wheel/tire combination is turning. Now some people like coming further outward to give the FJ a wider stance. I frankly dont like that because it looks poorly sourced to me where tires/wheels stick out beyond the fender flares (that and the sides of your vehicle get covered with dirt, sand, mud, rock chips etc.

Also, I find that a 285 width tire fits fine on a 7.5" wheel. You are talking about going with 275 width on a wheel that is 1.5" wider. I frankly think that will want to stretch the tire bead a bit too far (think low rider wheels/tires). With a 275/285 width, I wouldnt use a wheel wider than 8". A 16x8 or 17x8 with 4.5" backspacing would work just fine.
Thank you both for the information, I think I'm going to go with 285/70/r17 Falken AT3's with the OEM wheels and adding the readylift 3" kit. I am a little hesitant to add the 3" readylift because I've heard such mixed reviews, however I know a lot of FJ owner's simply like top shelf products (clearly Readylift is not top shelf) so its difficult to make the determination of whether the kit actually doesn't perform well, or the reviewers are picky. I plan to mostly use the FJ to camp and drive on the beach while I surf.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:20 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)

Quote:
CullenJC previously said: View Post
Thank you both for the information, I think I'm going to go with 285/70/r17 Falken AT3's with the OEM wheels and adding the readylift 3" kit. I am a little hesitant to add the 3" readylift because I've heard such mixed reviews, however I know a lot of FJ owner's simply like top shelf products (clearly Readylift is not top shelf) so its difficult to make the determination of whether the kit actually doesn't perform well, or the reviewers are picky. I plan to mostly use the FJ to camp and drive on the beach while I surf.
Are you going to do the work yourself?

Not a fan of spacer kits in general. I would rather see you level the FJ (stock front to back rake is 1.5-2.0") by eliminating the rake. You can leave the back untouched and do something like the Bilstein or Eibach adjustable/leveling shocks.

https://www.toyteclifts.com/e60-82-0...j-cruiser.html

https://www.toyteclifts.com/24-23937...9-4runner.html

Will still require the labor of having the existing OEM coilover springs removed and put on Eibach or Bilstein shocks or you will have to do that yourself. Might also need some additional replacement parts for the top hat depending on condition.

The Readylift Kit is an astounding ~$400 without labor for a sh*t solution.
CRFjockey and FJFool like this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:30 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
SilvFx previously said: View Post
Are you going to do the work yourself?

Not a fan of spacer kits in general. I would rather see you level the FJ (stock front to back rake is 1.5-2.0") by eliminating the rake. You can leave the back untouched and do something like the Bilstein or Eibach adjustable/leveling shocks.

https://www.toyteclifts.com/e60-82-0...j-cruiser.html

https://www.toyteclifts.com/24-23937...9-4runner.html

Will still require the labor of having the existing OEM coilover springs removed and put on Eibach or Bilstein shocks or you will have to do that yourself. Might also need some additional replacement parts for the top hat depending on condition.

The Readylift Kit is an astounding ~$400 without labor for a sh*t solution.
+1 on this. Check into leveling your FJ by swapping to Bilstein 5100 shocks on the front and use them to raise the front by 1-1.5". If you're not doing this work yourself that's fine, it's something 4 Wheel Parts can definitely handle. Your FJ will handle better both on road and off road than the Readylift kit. And all things said and done, I doubt it will cost as much as the Readylift.
FJFool likes this.

2007 Black Cherry AT
A-Trac | TRD Cat-Back | OEM Sliders
Mods
Bilstein 6112/5160 | Wheeler's T12 Rear Springs | ProComp A/T Sport 285/70R17 | ProComp Series 41 Wheels | Ricochet Skid | RCI LCA Skids | Diode Dynamics SS6 Wide/LED Mirror/Interior Lights | IPF 968 Lights | ARB CMKA12 Compressor | Uniden Pro510XL | Bandi | 4'/2' Firesticks | Orangeboxx/Springtail Molle Racks | Iconic/Apex Overland Recovery Points | Rad Rubber

Calamity Jane is my Co-Pilot and Herbie is along for the ride!

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:00 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

As a lot of forum members will tell you in one way or another: "spend a dollar now to save two down the road." In other words, even if leveling with Bilstein 5100's now is a little more involved than you intended, it will likely save you in the long-run for a number of reasons.

1) If you just do spacers now, you may eventually decide you want something more functional like the Bilsteins. This means you will not only have to pay for parts and labor on the Bilsteins, but you will have already paid for parts and labor on the spacer lift as well. And, you will have missed out on the benefits of the Bilsteins in the meantime.

2) While spacers lifts allow for a larger tire and improve ground-clearance, as I understand it, they actually decrease the range of up-travel on your suspension, making it less effective rather than more. This could be a problem, especially if you forget that your lift is not (or no longer) equipped to improve travel. I imagine this could lead to costly damage, not to mention inconvenience.

3) As @CRFjockey said, your ride will be noticeably better with the Bilsteins than the spacers.

4) Don't risk buying a potentially (read "likely") poor-made product when a proven product exists. I read somewhere (probably on this forum) that a general rule of thumb is, don't buy any brand with the words "Tough," "Rough," or "Lift" in the name, as they are almost all terrible. FJ owners don't buy "top shelf" because they're snobs or suckers. They buy "top shelf" because they love their vehicles and want them to last.
CRFjockey likes this.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has caused all the damage to my FJ.
~ Robert Frost

I have an FJ. It has stuff on it.

Last edited by FJFool; 04-16-2019 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Corrected information regarding spacers.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just put 275/65-18 Bfg ko2 i have a set of bilstein 5100 all around. If I'm turning sharp full lock i get a slight rub in the back of the wheels. It rubs on the mud guard soft plastic area hard to describe but very little. I'm running fuel wheels that are 9.5 inches with a -12 offset if i remember correctly.

Last edited by Beagle; 04-16-2019 at 12:24 AM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:05 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 88 Post(s)

Quote:
FJFool previously said: View Post
As a lot of forum members will tell you in one way or another: "spend a dollar now to save two down the road." In other words, even if leveling with Bilstein 5100's now is a little more involved than you intended, it will likely save you in the long-run for a number of reasons.

1) If you just do spacers now, you may eventually decide you want something more functional like the Bilsteins. This means you will not only have to pay for parts and labor on the Bilsteins, but you will have already paid for parts and labor on the spacer lift as well. And, you will have missed out on the benefits of the Bilsteins in the meantime.

2) While spacers lifts allow for a larger tire, they don't improve ground-clearance and, as I understand it, they actually decrease the range of up-travel on your suspension, making it less effective rather than more. This could be a problem, especially if you forget that your lift is non-functional and drive it over terrain it's not (or no longer) equipped to handle. I imagine this could lead to costly damage, not to mention inconvenience.

3) As @CRFjockey said, your ride will be noticeably better with the Bilsteins than the spacers.

4) Don't risk buying a potentially (read "likely") poor-made product when a proven product exists. I read somewhere (probably on this forum) that a general rule of thumb is, don't buy any brand with the words "Tough," "Rough," or "Lift" in the name, as they are almost all terrible. FJ owners don't buy "top shelf" because they're snobs or suckers. They buy "top shelf" because they love their vehicles and want them to last.

You need to re-think #2 . A spacer lift increases ground clearance. The only lift that does not is a body lift. A spacer lift does increase capability due to the new ground clearance. Of course new coilovers are better, but there is nothing wrong with a modest spacer lift.
FJFool likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in