Tires: Ponderings & Ruminations - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Tires: Ponderings & Ruminations

Do you have a Costco membership? There are two Costco's up in AK IIRC. If so, check out the BFG KO2's... they make a C range tire in 255/75/17 and 265/70/17. 47# a piece and will ride great, also rated for winter driving. We put them on my wife's 4Runner (E rated 275/70/17 though...) and it rides like a dream. Grippy, great in the snow, didn't hurt the MPG much (minus .5 avg over). I paid $950 out the door for 5, I bet the C range ones would be significantly less. Just bought a set for my 2000 hilux surf here in Japan, 265/75/16 E range, for $850 out the door, they are a little harsh on the tiny truck, but the suspension is also 20 years old OEM.

Also, Costco has the famous return policy if you don't like it, a great warranty, and lifetime backing/rotation/repair etc.

I had 3 sets of Duratrac Wranglers, loved them as well. But I havn't been able to get them as reasonably priced as the KO2's. In my experience, the Duratracs were better offroad, the KO2's have the advantage on road, but both are great.
Yog likes this.

2012 Silver - Sold
2018 T4R Cavalry Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:24 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Garage

Tagging @Discount Tire

Maybe they can help ease the damage on the wallet
Yog likes this.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Quote:
Yog previously said: View Post
So, I’m stressing over an upcoming (within the next year) tire purchase for my FJ and my wife’s FJ. I’m hoping the collective hive mind will lead me to the correct decision on these tires.

We each have 2014 FJ Cruisers with original equipment in original condition. Our FJs are “standard”. No lifts. No BMCs. Just regular FJs that we love. They are 4WD with automatic transmissions and original Toyota rims. We live in Anchorage, AK and run Blizzak tires in the Winter - usually from late October to early April. Occasionally, we get snow earlier or later than listed, but this occurs infrequently. They are our “daily drivers” - my wife drives about 15 miles per day and I drive about 6 miles per day - on average.

My preferred size: 255/80R17
I’m pretty sure I want to run “pizza cutters” on my FJ. My concern is that most folks on this forum don’t recommend LT tires for an FJ. I can’t seem to find a tire in my preferred size that is not an LT tire. My first tire choice is the Cooper S/T Maxx with the Goodrich M/T KM2 tires being a distant second choice.
Would this tire (LT255/80R17) fit on an unmodified FJ?
Would the added weight be an issue? This tire weighs 58#, the KM2 tires weigh 57#, and my Bridgestone Duelers weigh 40#.
Would the spare fit on my back door?
Would the original FJ tire cover fit?
Do I need to do anything about my TPMS sensors?
Do I need to do anything about my speedometer?
Should I buy 5 tires - a spare in the same size, or would my original Dueler spare work in 265/70R17 fit?

2nd choice: 255/75R17
My second choice would be a P255/75R17 tire. From what I’ve read on here, this tire should fit my FJ with no issues. In this size I’m thinking of the Goodyear Duratrac tires (43#). My second tire choice in this size would be the Cooper S/T Maxx (54#) and my third choice is the Goodrich M/T KM2 (50#) tires. The reason the S/T Maxx is not my preferred choice is due to the extreme weight compared to the non LT Duratrac.

3rd choice: 265/70R17
Finally, my last choice would be the P265/70R17 size and again I’m thinking of Duratrac tires (45#) with the S/T Maxx tires (55#) in second place.

We want something that will hold up well to mainly paved road driving, rarely perform in the winter, and be “tougher looking” than our original FJ tires. What do you all think would be a good tire considering what I’ve listed above?

Sorry for the NOOB questions and beating a dead horse.

Thanks!
Another vote for the Cooper ST Maxx. I run the 285/70/17 which is listed on the Cooper website as being 32.99" diameter. Before the FJ got its lift the tire had no issues with rubbing. I lifted the FJ anyway to get more clearance between the tire and the fender.. it's a tight fight but it definitely does fit without the lift. The 255/80/17 you are considering is listed as 32.8" diameter so theoretically should be fine. I bet you could even add a 1 inch spacer to get a better looking stance on the pizza cutters and be good. Don't forget the Cooper tires have the ability to be studded, that may be useful for you! I think you can't go wrong with that tire choice.

As far as the TPMS goes, the battery on those are good for about 8-10 years so you should be fine keeping your existing units. As for the speedometer, if you look at an online chart you'll find there is very little difference: at 20mph you'll be about 1mph faster; at 40mph you'll be about 2mph faster and at 60mph you'll be about 3mph faster. Just keep that in mind when you are traveling (setting your cruise control, school zones, etc) and you'll be ok.

I've attached 2 pictures to show the clearance to the fender on the 32.99" Coopers before and after the lift. Additionally, there was about 1/2 inch to the UCA and about 1 and 1/2 inch to the body mount. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CE356957-7B48-47C1-9C9F-931A0193B05F.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	539.3 KB
ID:	1078922   Click image for larger version

Name:	o7MjSPK3TL6j7GsJjm%Gdg.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	512.6 KB
ID:	1078924  
Yog and debFJVT like this.

Pablo is a 2013 Quicksand FJ | Warrior Products platform rack | Bigfoot Rooftop Tent | OME 885/889 coils | OME sport shocks | Cooper S/T MAXX 285/70/17 | Rhino-Rack Batwing Awning | MAXSA traction mats on custom mounts | Custom trunk tool drawers | Smittybilt M1 rear bumper (pending installation) | Expedition One WyoOtto front bumper (pending production) |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:31 AM
ofg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I would steer clear of duratracs for a daily driver. They are super loud on pavement, harsh ride at low speeds. On an every day basis, the duratracs will be hella annoying. I ran them for a couple years on previous vehicle. On the flip side, duratracs are unstoppable in dirt, and snow. However,, I run in dirt like once a week, and snow may be 10 times a year. For me, the loud roar and bumpy ride are a bad trade off for the off road capabilities.
debFJVT likes this.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
Yog previously said: View Post
So, I’m stressing over an upcoming (within the next year) tire purchase for my FJ and my wife’s FJ. I’m hoping the collective hive mind will lead me to the correct decision on these tires.

We each have 2014 FJ Cruisers with original equipment in original condition. Our FJs are “standard”. No lifts. No BMCs. Just regular FJs that we love. They are 4WD with automatic transmissions and original Toyota rims. We live in Anchorage, AK and run Blizzak tires in the Winter - usually from late October to early April. Occasionally, we get snow earlier or later than listed, but this occurs infrequently. They are our “daily drivers” - my wife drives about 15 miles per day and I drive about 6 miles per day - on average.

My preferred size: 255/80R17
I’m pretty sure I want to run “pizza cutters” on my FJ. My concern is that most folks on this forum don’t recommend LT tires for an FJ. I can’t seem to find a tire in my preferred size that is not an LT tire. My first tire choice is the Cooper S/T Maxx with the Goodrich M/T KM2 tires being a distant second choice.
Would this tire (LT255/80R17) fit on an unmodified FJ?
Would the added weight be an issue? This tire weighs 58#, the KM2 tires weigh 57#, and my Bridgestone Duelers weigh 40#.
Would the spare fit on my back door?
Would the original FJ tire cover fit?
Do I need to do anything about my TPMS sensors?
Do I need to do anything about my speedometer?
Should I buy 5 tires - a spare in the same size, or would my original Dueler spare work in 265/70R17 fit?

2nd choice: 255/75R17
My second choice would be a P255/75R17 tire. From what I’ve read on here, this tire should fit my FJ with no issues. In this size I’m thinking of the Goodyear Duratrac tires (43#). My second tire choice in this size would be the Cooper S/T Maxx (54#) and my third choice is the Goodrich M/T KM2 (50#) tires. The reason the S/T Maxx is not my preferred choice is due to the extreme weight compared to the non LT Duratrac.

3rd choice: 265/70R17
Finally, my last choice would be the P265/70R17 size and again I’m thinking of Duratrac tires (45#) with the S/T Maxx tires (55#) in second place.

We want something that will hold up well to mainly paved road driving, rarely perform in the winter, and be “tougher looking” than our original FJ tires. What do you all think would be a good tire considering what I’ve listed above?

Sorry for the NOOB questions and beating a dead horse.

Thanks!
Goodyear Wrangler Ultra Terrain: Handles well, low noise, performs well off road, good on wet roads, and it's affordable
https://www.americastire.com/buy-tir...ltraterrain-at

Compared to same sized BFG AT they have deeper tread blocks and slightly larger diameter.

Pepe Le Pew: Allterrain Model, Wrangler Ultraterrains, Magnaflow, Bilstein 5100s, Pre-cleaner, FJ off road lights, optional 16" wheels
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Yog

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

debFJVT,

Yes, I spoke with Discount Tire and they were superb to chat with.

I chatted with a gentleman named Ben and he was extremely polite and helpful. Their price was excellent, but the shipping was a bit high.

It's possible I'll get tires shipped to Seattle for free and then pay a freight forwarder to ship them to Anchorage.

We'll see how this works out.

Thanks for the wonderful idea.

Yog
debFJVT and jamesepoop like this.

2014 Quicksand FJ
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Yog

(Thread Starter)

CMG1012,

Wow! I'm in love with your FJ. I love the black mirrors, door handles, and grille frame. You will cost me some $$ in the future, but it will be worth it.

Thanks for the great reply and photos!

Yog

2014 Quicksand FJ
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Yog

(Thread Starter)

Thanks to EVERYONE for taking the time to reply and for sharing your experiences and thoughts!
debFJVT likes this.

2014 Quicksand FJ
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:39 AM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Quoted: 2082 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

@Yog we are a sick bunch...LOVE to talk tires here Be sure and post pics when you get them Enjoy!
DubstepPear and jamesepoop like this.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

My recommendation is to buy an E-rated tire which ever tire manufacturer you decide on.

IMHO, in the 6-LandCruisers and 3 FJs I’ve owned and logged almost 1-million miles I now swear on BFG’s T/A KO2s. Not any KO2s but the 275/70-17 tire. I just finished putting on 89,453 miles and I had enough tread to last another 5,000 to 10,000 miles. This is no exaggeration, the guys at Discount Tire couldn’t believe it until they looked up my old record. My driving was 75% highway, 22% city driving and 3% off-road/country road.

The BFG 275/70-17 tire will fit any stock 2006-2014 FJ without any rubbing issues. I’t has worked on 2006, 2008 and 2014 FJs I’ve owned/own. This is an E-rated tire which classifies them as true LT with a 3200lb max rating @80psi. Great tire for towing.

I run these tires at 50psi most of the time and reduce it to 45psi in the winter. Of course, I run them much lower when in 4x4. I now live in Dallas, TX so I’m back to 50psi. If you want a “softer” ride, then you can run it at lower pressure of 43-45psi. Doesn’t seem like much, but you CAN feel the ride difference.

My recommendation only applies to southern states that have very little COLD weather/SNOW/ICE. Yes, this tire is “winter” rated. I know from personal experience that NOTHING, I mean nothing that can compare to a true snow tire when driving in adverse winter conditions. Don’t even think about using All Terrain tire. The difference is night and day. It’s like driving with a new set of tires in the rain vs bald tires. Just buy a set of rims and mount the snow tires and swap them during the winter driving and the ATs after winter. My experience is 6-years of living in the UP of Michigan where average snowfall is 270-295 inches per year. THIS IS CORRECT, look it up - snowfall in the Keweenaw Peninsula, MI.

The secret to longevity is maintaining correct pressure for your driving condition and religiously keep pressure, balance and alignment. I purchased the lifetime balancing and alignment and have them done every 5-6K miles. I check my air pressure every time I fill-up for gas. I do this and check my fluid levels every time while the gas pump is filling up my truck. What else is there to do while pumping gas? ;-)

Good luck on your tire search!
Carlton
Yog likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in