Tires: Ponderings & Ruminations - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Yog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tires: Ponderings & Ruminations

So, I’m stressing over an upcoming (within the next year) tire purchase for my FJ and my wife’s FJ. I’m hoping the collective hive mind will lead me to the correct decision on these tires.

We each have 2014 FJ Cruisers with original equipment in original condition. Our FJs are “standard”. No lifts. No BMCs. Just regular FJs that we love. They are 4WD with automatic transmissions and original Toyota rims. We live in Anchorage, AK and run Blizzak tires in the Winter - usually from late October to early April. Occasionally, we get snow earlier or later than listed, but this occurs infrequently. They are our “daily drivers” - my wife drives about 15 miles per day and I drive about 6 miles per day - on average.

My preferred size: 255/80R17
I’m pretty sure I want to run “pizza cutters” on my FJ. My concern is that most folks on this forum don’t recommend LT tires for an FJ. I can’t seem to find a tire in my preferred size that is not an LT tire. My first tire choice is the Cooper S/T Maxx with the Goodrich M/T KM2 tires being a distant second choice.
Would this tire (LT255/80R17) fit on an unmodified FJ?
Would the added weight be an issue? This tire weighs 58#, the KM2 tires weigh 57#, and my Bridgestone Duelers weigh 40#.
Would the spare fit on my back door?
Would the original FJ tire cover fit?
Do I need to do anything about my TPMS sensors?
Do I need to do anything about my speedometer?
Should I buy 5 tires - a spare in the same size, or would my original Dueler spare work in 265/70R17 fit?

2nd choice: 255/75R17
My second choice would be a P255/75R17 tire. From what I’ve read on here, this tire should fit my FJ with no issues. In this size I’m thinking of the Goodyear Duratrac tires (43#). My second tire choice in this size would be the Cooper S/T Maxx (54#) and my third choice is the Goodrich M/T KM2 (50#) tires. The reason the S/T Maxx is not my preferred choice is due to the extreme weight compared to the non LT Duratrac.

3rd choice: 265/70R17
Finally, my last choice would be the P265/70R17 size and again I’m thinking of Duratrac tires (45#) with the S/T Maxx tires (55#) in second place.

We want something that will hold up well to mainly paved road driving, rarely perform in the winter, and be “tougher looking” than our original FJ tires. What do you all think would be a good tire considering what I’ve listed above?

Sorry for the NOOB questions and beating a dead horse.

Thanks!
goltgo, CRFjockey and stephous like this.

2014 Quicksand FJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 05:40 AM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2069 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Tires: Ponderings & Ruminations

Cool you both have ‘14 FJs Given that, you could use one as the “test” vehicle and decide later on the second one? Anyhow, I’m a solid fan of Cooper (S/T Maxx, STT Pro) and living in Vermont, guessing we have similar weather. My experience with Duratracs here was so awful I sold them after 2 months and switched to Coopers, and never looked back. The Duratracs behaved like ice skates when we had the usual “unusual” cold snap with ice on the road....something you might experience up there?? Apparently Cooper Discoverers are made with more silica in the rubber compound so are less apt to be hardened to stone with cold, and more capable of gripping. There are other factors in the tire construction that contribute as well. I know Duratracs have a passionate following, but you won’t hear many - if any - singing their praises about icy road performance. I run my Coopers year round...in the mountains of Vermont....that says something
Yog, Lee44, Mulie and 1 others like this.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170

Last edited by debFJVT; 05-11-2019 at 11:22 AM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:47 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Garage

I had my '13 FJ lifted 3" right after I bought it, so not much help on non-lifted FJs.

I've have Cooper also, Discoverer AT3 in LT275/70R17. Now STT Pros in LT285/70R17. Went to Pros for a more aggressive tread design and more side wall protection. In my size the Pros are 33.03" diameter and 62#.

Before the FJ I had Dodge trucks with standard street tires, I did have some issues with side wall penetration from sharp objects off road. Not a single problem with the LT tires on the FJ. I did lose some MPG with each tire size (weight) increase. If you are not 'rip snortin' off road, I'd stick with the standard C rated tires. Noise, ride and MPG. I think you can get a good tread design in a standard tire.

Not really answering your questions but this is my experience so far. I will be sticking with the Coopers.

I'm sure more input to follow
Yog likes this.

Jade -- 2013 Army Green AT Crawl -- US Offroad Winch Mount / Warn 10K synthetic -- BMC -- Light Racing Upper Control Arms -- Bilstein 6112 / OME rear springs / Bilstein 5100 -- Metal-Tech Red Eye Rear Bumper -- URD Stainless Exhaust -- Cooper STT Pro LT285/70R17 E / Factory Alloys -- Smittybilt Nerf Bars -- Diode Dynamics / Light Bar / HID / LEDS -- Springtail Solutions Side Rack -- Ellis Precision - Goodies -- Cobra 75 WX ST / Bandi / 3' Firefly -- Front Runner Storage Drawer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Yog

(Thread Starter)

debFJVT & Lee44,

Thanks for the replies!

Deb, Yes, I think that there's many similarities in the weather between VT & AK. I'm thankful for your input.

Lee, I'm glad to hear you're satisfied with your Cooper tires.

Thanks again!

Yog

2014 Quicksand FJ
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Yog

(Thread Starter)

I called one of our local tire dealers to get a price on the Cooper S/T Maxx tires.

Only in Alaska, and probably Hawaii, does a store sell a tire for more than retail.

Cooper's website says $225.00 a tire. In Anchorage, that same tire sells for $295.00, plus mounting, plus balancing, and plus installation.

I think Discount Tire needs to open a store in Anchorage!
Lee44 likes this.

2014 Quicksand FJ
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:29 PM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2069 Post(s)
Garage

Did you get that quote from Discount Tire Direct, over the phone? That’s how I always buy tires. No idea idea about shipping to AK though... GL!

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:59 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey

Only good thing for ice is studs.

I've been running Duratracs (on the wagon) for the last 7 years and they have performed very well in all seasons - even towing a 2 and 4 place snowmobile trailer in the winter. Our winters up here are nasty.

I guess I'm not open to new tires because, well, the Duratracs have been performing well.

Why the desire for pizza cutters?
Winterpeg and Yog like this.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:05 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Garage

I wanted 255/80/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers ended up with 265/70/17 MT ATZ's because Discount Tire had a set of 5 on Ebay for $450 plus shipping. But I like Nitto they make a great tire.
Attached Images

Yog likes this.

Dec 2017 member of the month
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:03 PM
Admin

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2387 Post(s)
Garage

Duratracs... as stated previously they perform well.

I got good longevity out of mine and they are the best AT tire for winter (IMHO).

Avoid P rated tires though... seems like every time I hear of someone saying "so and so tires are crap, lots of flats".... it turns out they are running P rated tires offroad.
Just isn't worth the headache.
Yog likes this.

Suck it up... it's only -40

2008 FJ Trail Teams
ARB Front; Exp1 rear STC; Apex rocksliders; Lightforce on front bumper; ARB Full Rack w/Grid; ; Icon Susp w/cdc; magnaflow muffler (mashed the original); Engo 12000S winch; 285/75/16 Duratracs; Ricochet skids, Uniden PC78 Elite CB (ch 16 typically, ch 19 on the hwy)

"Don't drive angry".... BFM
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:20 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)

My vote is 265/70/17 Duratracs!
I got 285's on my 2010 and 265's on my wifes 2014.
We both love them and they are a great all around tire. Light and tough. Some say weak sidewall but I have not had any problems and have almost 50k On mine with 10/32nd left on them.
Yog likes this.

>>>>>>>>>>2010armygreens slow build<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>>ArmyGreens M416 Build<<<<<<<<

Garage
2010 FJ Army Green
2014 FJ Iceberg
M416 Trailer
Maggiolina Grand Tour Roof Top Tent

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in