rotating in full sized spare to tire rotation - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
rotating in full sized spare to tire rotation

picked up my FJ a few weeks ago. the spare is brand new still has nubs and everything, the other 4 wheels have maybe 25k miles on them(based on the carfax info). BFG ko all terrain tires. is it too late for me to throw the spare on and incorporate all 5 tires now when rotating them to extend the life? never had a car with 5 full sized tires and matching rims so i never had the luxury of rotating 5 wheels. i wont be driving more than probably 5k miles a year so waiting to buy new tires and using the spare will probably so far away id have to worry about dry rot and/or weather deterioration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Is it the original spare that came with the car or was it purchased along with the other 4? What’s the date code on it?

'13 Quicksand: Warrior Products platform rack and WP fairing, Bigfoot rooftop tent, OME 885/889, Expedition One WyoOtto front bumper (coming soon), Smittybilt M1 rear bumper, Cooper S/T MAXX 285/70/17
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
cmg1012 previously said: View Post
Is it the original spare that came with the car or was it purchased along with the other 4? What’s the date code on it?
****. Yea its 2010 on the spare and 2016 in the other 4. I was going through pics on my phone @work and didnt really even know which one i was looking at. Well all the more reason to get some use in that spare id think its still in great condition no dry rot or sidewall cracks or anything
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190514_184554_1557874218542.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	1079038   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190514_184543_1557874234591.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	1079040  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:39 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2431 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: rotating in full sized spare to tire rotation

Yeah might as well do it. The diameter difference isn't gonna effect anything.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
philFJ previously said: View Post
Quote:
cmg1012 previously said: View Post
****. Yea its 2010 on the spare and 2016 in the other 4. I was going through pics on my phone @work and didnt really even know which one i was looking at. Well all the more reason to get some use in that spare id think its still in great condition no dry rot or sidewall cracks or anything
Hurts to think of tossing a “new” tire but here’s something to think about. Appearance may not be indicative of the tire’s integrity. Unfortunately FJ spares are not hidden from their worst enemy: the sun. While most spares are protected from UV light under the car or in the trunk, ours (the ones that are too large for the OEM tire cover) spend their entire life exposed to it. Tire rubber has a protectant in it that wears off with time/oxygen/heat/UV. Eventually the tire rubber becomes less pliable.. externally this leads to less grip on the road and internally this leads to less stability between the layers of rubber and steel. If you think about the internal forces that the tire encounters on say a long highway trip or a simple cornering maneuver at speed it’s pretty impressive how they hold up to the abuse.

Nonetheless, we see POS tires on cars all the time and they seem to perform fine but if it were mine I would swap it out for a solid spare to avoid a potential catastrophic failure on the road... Near 10 years of sun exposure is a harsh life for a tire.

I have a 68 mustang with 7 year old BFG TAs that had not moved in a while but were stored in a hot garage in my Texas home. First time rolling on them the tire’s steel band busted through the rubber. Needles to say I learned my lesson on old tires.. just my humble 2 cents.

'13 Quicksand: Warrior Products platform rack and WP fairing, Bigfoot rooftop tent, OME 885/889, Expedition One WyoOtto front bumper (coming soon), Smittybilt M1 rear bumper, Cooper S/T MAXX 285/70/17

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in