BFG vs Nitto vs Pro Comp - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
BFG vs Nitto vs Pro Comp

About to pull the trigger with tires and wheels. I'm putting Bilstein 5100s on the front so we can lift the front slightly to accommodate a US Off Road hidden winch. Thinking of going with BFG K02s since seems like the most popular, but Pro Comp and Nitto Ridge Grapplers were also recommended. Any thoughts or experiences? Maybe splitting hairs between these choices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Re: BFG vs Nitto vs Pro Comp

I'm having a hard time choosing new tires, especially because I don't want to go bigger than 285 70 17 but I have fender flares which swallow the wheels a little. I'll probably go with the BFGs because of their reputation though. What notch are your bilsteins at? I have the same ones and I am thinking about lowering them to make the tires look bigger.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

planning on going to 3rd notch as recommended by the person making the bumper winch package. The bumper and winch only weigh around 115 lbs but with a slight rake before installing, I'm expecting it will dip another 1/4 inch, so we'll see if the 3rd notch brings it back level with the rear. I'm sticking with 265 70 17. Was thinking BFG until the guy selling the tires said he had heard they have some vibration issues sometimes. He likes the Pro Comp. Hard to know how much of that is true or if his company is offering an incentive to push out extra inventory of the other brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 12:54 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
BTiz previously said: View Post
Thinking of going with BFG K02s since seems like the most popular, but Pro Comp and Nitto Ridge Grapplers were also recommended. Any thoughts or experiences? Maybe splitting hairs between these choices.
What type of terrain are you expecting? Mud, rocks, combination?

You've essentially got 3 types of tires:
  1. 100% All-Terrain: example, the KO2's. Great for rocks and dirt, not so great in mud and snow as their tread gaps can get crammed with stuff.
  2. 100% mud tire: example, the Nitto Trail Grapplers. Better in mud and snow because the tread gaps are far enough apart to self-clean. Will chunk on pointy rocks.
  3. 50/50 hybrid AT/MT: example, the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Mud tread on the outside, AT tread on the inside. Does ok on both rocks/mud but is also weak on neither.

The Nitto Ridge Grapplers from your list are one of the many hybrid AT/MD clones of the original (or at least, first most popular) version of the hybrid tread, the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac. So if you're considering the Ridge Grappler's, consider the Duratrac's too.

The BFG's are the most popular tire on new offroad-y trucks, but go to any Toyota event here in Colorado and the most common tire you'll find are Duratracs. Doesn't make them right for everywhere though.

Understand the terrain you're going to see most often and then pick the tire suited to that.

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Mainly road driving but in Ohio so off road is not as rocky as the west. Some forest trails, a decent amount of mud. Pretty lush and sometimes wet mountain and forest settings in the southeast. Duratrac looks interesting. Wonder if it will perform well off road.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 04:05 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Duratrac looks interesting. Wonder if it will perform well off road.
I'm on my 3rd set of Duratracs. My 4Runner got stuck in mud a few months ago and I was able to get it out, no problem. It also wears less on the road than a dedicated mud tire. If you ever plan on getting into some mud I'd avoid the KO2's. Either go with a hybrid tread -- there are several options, Duratracs should be your first choice -- or a mud tread.

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:14 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Garage

In addition to deciding on terrain handling, you might also want to decide on size--not all tire models are available in all sizes. If you're going 285/70R17, you're probably good across the board. Narrower, wider, taller, etc. and you might have fewer options available.

I'm on my 2nd pair of KO2s after giving the Nittos a hard look. KO2s have proven very predictable in snow and wet, which is where it counts for me. They pick up rocks on trails pretty bad, but they hook up well in most conditions. Not many A/T tires do well in mud, and KO2s are no exception. I had less data on the Nittos, and a mixture of reviews ranging all over the place. KO2s...just work for me.

2011 Cavalry Blue 6MT | The Jerk build | Instagram
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:54 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)

I really like the Ridge Grapplers. My 285/70's now have 26k on them and they are still quiet with many miles left in them. I rotate every 6k miles. My only qualm is their traction where there is a lot of water on the road. If that is something that bothers you maybe consider the Terra Grapplers. Less aggressive look, smaller tread blocks and better in the wet.

2014 Quicksand
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Mainly road driving...
BFG. You'll get 50,000 usable miles out of them.

You are not building a trail rig so buy quality, quiet, long lasting tires that still do excellent in the dirt.
strikerca and Boabrother4 like this.

2008 Brick. Six speed manual.

Red is faster!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:54 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)

KO2's all day every day.

Not all who wonder are lost, having said that... I'm actually probably lost

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in