Powder coating vs trd rims - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!

 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Powder coating vs trd rims

I wanted to get some feedback and see if Iím overlooking anything. My 2008 base fj has stock wheels. Iíve seen plenty of pictures of others that have powder coated their wheels and they look pretty good. The issue is that most powder coating places want them removed from the tire and take several days to complete the process. Also I have to find a place to leave my on a lift for a few days. The only place Iíve found is a place in a not so great part of town. So my question(s) are- what does everyone thing about just buying the trdís and sell my old wheels? Is there enough of a market to do that? Or maybe just buy identical wheels, have them powder coated and then sell my old ones? Whatís the best bang for my buck? Am I overlooking anything that would make a difference? Thanks.

https://www.elitecustomrims.com/prod...roduct-reviews
Knrstz is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:25 AM
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Which design wheel do you like better?
sandFJ90210 is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Powder coating vs trd rims

Probably trd but would be happy with either.
Knrstz is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:44 AM
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Then I would do the TRD

So you get your design, and not worry about down time in bad part of town
sandFJ90210 is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 10:20 AM
Forum Master
 
norm356's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,499
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Re: Powder coating vs trd rims

Tip about powder coating: make sure whoever does it for you does ALL of the prep steps so that it will actually stick.

Typical aftermarket parts come powdercoated, but then that peels off in sheets after one or two years on the road (typical: rock rails, trailer hitch, bumpers, roof racks, etc.).
This is because powdercoating relies on a very specific set of steps to prepare the substrate so that the coating can even stick. Powdercoating is typically a nylon coat that bonds excellently to itself, but by nature doesn't bond well to what it is applied to, hence comes off in sheets after the first scratch.


Not very many shops can apply it well enough to last beyond just a couple of years. In mass production it is amazing how much work is done to get every aspect of it dialed in (part shape is also a factor, so each part creates new challenges).


Norm
Bad Wolf and DBCooper like this.

norm356 is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 10:37 AM
Forum Regular
 
longtooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Crockett, TX
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Powder coating vs trd rims

I tried powdercoating mine in 2010. The first time I got into a gravel road I got a few small chips. When SWMBO clipped a curb, I lost about 3" of paint off the rim edge. TBH, she hates my Hell***** and was just going to the grocery, but there it is...LOL I am running the silvery stock wheels, but found a guy who is selling me his 2013 pristine wheels for $75 and my rear seat headrests.

I painted a friends FJ wheels with wheel paint, black, and left the center hub out. I also masked off the outer part of the rim, where the golf-ball-like divots are - because the guys at tire shops don't care if your wheel paint comes off when they pop a tire off or on. That was a few years back. My buddy had to touch-up a few times by sanding some chips out with 220 grit and repaint. But overall, it was waay cheaper than a powdercoat job, since wheel paint takes about 3 cans of paint at about $12 a can.

My debate is whether to use Raptor poly or Bed Armor on the new wheels or just wheel paint. The bedliner can be touched up pretty easily without even the sanding, and it has stayed on my front grill and bumper really well.
longtooth is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 12:27 PM
トヨダ Master
 
CabinCruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Keystone, Wyoming
Posts: 5,373
Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3466 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Powder coating vs trd rims

Quote:
norm356 previously said: View Post
Tip about powder coating: make sure whoever does it for you does ALL of the prep steps so that it will actually stick.

Typical aftermarket parts come powdercoated, but then that peels off in sheets after one or two years on the road (typical: rock rails, trailer hitch, bumpers, roof racks, etc.).
This is because powdercoating relies on a very specific set of steps to prepare the substrate so that the coating can even stick. Powdercoating is typically a nylon coat that bonds excellently to itself, but by nature doesn't bond well to what it is applied to, hence comes off in sheets after the first scratch.


Not very many shops can apply it well enough to last beyond just a couple of years. In mass production it is amazing how much work is done to get every aspect of it dialed in (part shape is also a factor, so each part creates new challenges).


Norm
Quote:
longtooth previously said: View Post
I tried powdercoating mine in 2010. The first time I got into a gravel road I got a few small chips. When SWMBO clipped a curb, I lost about 3" of paint off the rim edge. TBH, she hates my Hell***** and was just going to the grocery, but there it is...LOL I am running the silvery stock wheels, but found a guy who is selling me his 2013 pristine wheels for $75 and my rear seat headrests.

I painted a friends FJ wheels with wheel paint, black, and left the center hub out. I also masked off the outer part of the rim, where the golf-ball-like divots are - because the guys at tire shops don't care if your wheel paint comes off when they pop a tire off or on. That was a few years back. My buddy had to touch-up a few times by sanding some chips out with 220 grit and repaint. But overall, it was waay cheaper than a powdercoat job, since wheel paint takes about 3 cans of paint at about $12 a can.

My debate is whether to use Raptor poly or Bed Armor on the new wheels or just wheel paint. The bedliner can be touched up pretty easily without even the sanding, and it has stayed on my front grill and bumper really well.
Sounds to me like the parts were never grounded electrically, which makes the positively charged powder coating actually bond, and then adhere while in the oven.

To the OP, It can get quite expensive to powder coat existing wheels, ask me how I know. In the end, if you like the TRD wheels and they are cheaper than prepping and coating your existing used wheels, it seems kind of like a no brainer.


R.I.P.- Echo

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

It Is Easier To Walk On Hot Coals Then It Is To Walk On Egg Shells...-CC

Member of the month-October 2017
CabinCruiser is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Powder coating vs trd rims

If stock wheels are in good condition are they reasonably easy to sell?
Knrstz is online now  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 02:28 PM
トヨダ Master
 
CabinCruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Keystone, Wyoming
Posts: 5,373
Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3466 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Powder coating vs trd rims

Quote:
Knrstz previously said: View Post
If stock wheels are in good condition are they reasonably easy to sell?
I wouldn't count on it....if you live in the rust belt, perhaps a good set with good clear coat on it still would bring more but that's not my neck of the woods, so I really don't know. Here, in the Rockies, they're everywhere for cheap because we've all swapped ours out for aftermarket or TRDs. Wheels come in 3 grades used, 2 and 3s don't bring as much coin as 1s. A quick search on ebay can get you in the ball park for condition.


R.I.P.- Echo

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

It Is Easier To Walk On Hot Coals Then It Is To Walk On Egg Shells...-CC

Member of the month-October 2017
CabinCruiser is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 05:35 PM
Forum Regular
 
longtooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Crockett, TX
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Powder coating vs trd rims

No - the wheels were tapped on the back sides and grounded with sheet metal screws into the aluminum.
Fact is - powder coating is great until you get a fissure, crack or ding in it. Then it spreads rather quickly with the high CTE of aluminum. Steel is better powder coat material for that very reason alone.

Powder coating is best for things that aren't in the weather or taking a beating. Methinks there is a valid reason we use bedliner on bumpers and such in lieu of powder coating.

Then again, each of us have had differing experiences and live in various climates across the planet. I just tend to steer clear of powder coating as repairing it is expensive, while paint and bedliners are not...
longtooth is offline  
Reply

  Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome