I Like my New Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/R7017/115T - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

4Likes
  • 1 Post By ASWH1
  • 1 Post By rkb
  • 1 Post By Sanderhawk
  • 1 Post By Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I Like my New Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/R7017/115T

Just a note to say that despite reading of the problems member FJC650 posted 04/08/2019 "Fed Up With Falken Wildeak AT3Ws" I decided to try them based on all the info I could gather- though his post did give me pause, for real. However, for the money, and for an all around "All Terrain" plus 3 peak Snow Rated Tire, I had to go for it. Bought through Amazon Prime at $142 each- free delivery. So Far they have not let me down. I'll come back with an actual review after I put on more miles and have driven in snow and more of a variety of road experiences.

Before going on the Highway the first time (week and half after installed), checked the tire pressure and one back left was 10 Lbs over- like 45 PSI (they should be in the 33-35 range, - in upper end when "hot") according to what I have read and been told. I had all five new tires- including the spare changed over, plus the Automatic Tire Pressure Gauges (ATP) put back on. The tire Guy that installed the new tires had reset my ATP Warning light (which was "on" before new tires). One Mystery: The ATP Warning light did not come on when the second Tire Guy let out the extra 10 pounds...will have to follow up on that. No telling WHY my warning light did not come on- it should have IMHO. To be continued...

Did find out one thing I want to pass along- DO NOT tighten the tire valve stem caps too much as it can cause failure/damage to the stem! The first thing I did was tighten the caps, and the 2nd Tire Guy noticed it, and told me why the First Guy had left them kinda loose.

After the previous discussion (in FJC650's post) about "stacking Sticky Weights" I made sure to check the weights I could see and also note how the FJ was driving at different speeds. I noticed about 5-8 weights (the most I think was 8) per tire- see photo. Assuming these are the "sticky weights"? Is this an unusually high number of weights or are the A/T tires just harder to balance. I could see where they scraped off 8 previous weights, so assuming this is relatively normal. The weights say 5FE ( 5 Grams Iron/ roughly 30 Grams/Ounce).

With the Falcon Wilpeak AT3W's my FJ Feels more "solid" on the road, with a slight vibration around 60MPH that goes away at 65. Steering is straight and steering wheel not jittery at 65 MPH. So I am assuming the First Tire Guy (installer) balanced the tires well, despite his helper over inflating one tire. Always check your tire pressures and anything else if someone else has been working on your FJ. Noise- probably slightly more noise, but FJ's are loud anyway. So I am very Happy with the new Tires!

I have a 2013 I've had for 5 years, with 32,000 miles, and it had the original Bridgestone Dueler H/T's. The original tires were 6 years old, and absolutely reaching the point of needing to be replaced. OK for highway but scary in heavy rain with standing water. We live in the VA Mountains so it is great to find an affordable All Terrain, year 'round tire which is Snow Rated, and which I can go on back roads with. I like the design of the tread, and the extra rubber on the sidewalls I hope will help when I do drive on some of the rougher Country Roads. Not planning on doing any heavy duty Off Roading, or Mudding, so these should be fine.

Hopefully I can get these photos to work! And figure out WHY my TPM Alarm light didn't come on when he let out 10 Lbs of tire pressure....(yes they did put the TPM's back on I checked).

MODerator**Kindly Change my Title to 265/70R17/115T thanks!

Falken Wildpeak AT3W: Five Weights-one wt fatter?: Spare: Side View:
Sanderhawk likes this.

"Gallop towards the enemy and trot away." Major General J.E.B. Stuart, CSA

2013 Quicksand

Last edited by ASWH1; 10-08-2019 at 04:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:26 PM
rkb

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Re: I Like my New Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/R7017/115T

I have them on my 2016 F150 Fx4 and after 5,000 miles really like them. I have not had them in winter time yet but they should be very good.

I used them Ouray CO air down and they did fantastic on 5 days of off road. Did Imogene, Engineer, Ophir and many other passes with them. I highly recommend!

I do prefer a little more aggressive for the FJ have 295-70-17 Nitto's they were on when I purchased it.
ASWH1 likes this.

2011 Army Green NSSE
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 07:18 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Garage

I`m on my second set already and will get another set when these are done. I have 285/75/16. Love these a lot
ASWH1 likes this.

Steve.... 07 FJ with almost enough mods.... August 2017 Member of the month
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:42 PM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Thank you for taking the time to post up your original thoughts on the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W tires. We get a lot of good feedback on them as well.

Your FJ looks great, wish mine had only 32,000 miles on it.
ASWH1 likes this.

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store: www.discounttire.com
To Your Door: www.discounttiredirect.com

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Found a Lower Delivered Price?

Need Tires for Your Camper or Trailer?

Help Discount Tire Support FJ Cruiser Forums
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

BTW Discount Tire did have a very competitive price (same). I just like to use my Amazon Prime when I can, since I pay for it.

Thanks for the feedback..

AH

"Gallop towards the enemy and trot away." Major General J.E.B. Stuart, CSA

2013 Quicksand
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:02 PM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

AH,

Thank you for your comments. We can appreciate you wanting to use the services you pay for, keep in mind Discount Tire and Discount Tire Direct always guarantee the lowest price on all the products they carry. We would love to have the opportunity to earn your business next time.

Glad to hear you are liking the Wildpeak A/T3W tires so far.

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store: www.discounttire.com
To Your Door: www.discounttiredirect.com

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Found a Lower Delivered Price?

Need Tires for Your Camper or Trailer?

Help Discount Tire Support FJ Cruiser Forums

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in