Goodyear Dura Trac Tires - Page 114 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!

143Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1131 of 1260 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 01:05 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Re: Goodyear Dura Trac Tires

Quote:
tiger_rag previously said: View Post
I see some mention about different sizes for different manufacturers. Currently I am running LT285/75/R16 BFG A/Ts with only a leveling kit. No lift. I need some new tires pretty soon. Any idea what size DuraTracs I could go with without rubbing?
I run that same size with a spacer level as well. Had a bit of rubbing coming down a pretty steep, uneven grade with the wheel torced to the left. Other than that I haven't experienced any. I came off BFG's and man I couldn't be happier with the Duratracs, so much better in the rain and snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1132 of 1260 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 01:31 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)

Quote:
I see some mention about different sizes for different manufacturers. Currently I am running LT285/75/R16 BFG A/Ts with only a leveling kit. No lift. I need some new tires pretty soon. Any idea what size DuraTracs I could go with without rubbing?
You can't go any bigger than what you have
post #1133 of 1260 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 01:38 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

Quote:
johns048 previously said: View Post
I run that same size with a spacer level as well. Had a bit of rubbing coming down a pretty steep, uneven grade with the wheel torced to the left. Other than that I haven't experienced any. I came off BFG's and man I couldn't be happier with the Duratracs, so much better in the rain and snow.
What would be the next size down if I wanted to be sure that I wouldn't rub?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1134 of 1260 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 01:40 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Quote:
What would be the next size down if I wanted to be sure that I wouldn't rub?
LT265/75/R16 I suppose. That's the size BFG's i used to have.. never had any rub, but the 285's look way better. I wouldn't go down if I were you... do the BMC if you are worried about rub.
post #1135 of 1260 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage

I've read on this thread many praises of the Duratracs' snow/ice performance, but also that the siping is not very deep and can wear away after the tires get some mileage on them. I know they can get studded, but I'd like to run them year-round so I hesitate to take that step. Has anyone had any luck getting the tires re-siped?

2013 Army Green, 5sp AT, Off Road Package

Last edited by MontanaMan; 02-07-2015 at 08:51 PM. Reason: spelling
post #1136 of 1260 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 11:09 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2125 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
MontanaMan previously said: View Post
I've read on this thread many praises of the Duratracs' snow/ice performance, but also that the siping is not very deep and can wear away after the tires get some mileage on them. I know they can get studded, but I'd like to run them year-round so I hesitate to take that step. Has anyone had any luck getting the tires re-siped?

Look at cooper AT3s, and general grabber AT2s. Been testing Duratracs vs those, and they all are about equal. I am talking about snow and ice testing.... Coopers are real cheap too. If you want any more details, you can always pm me.

Cheers,
Matt

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2010 Iceberg AT
Custom Tube Bumper
315/75r16
post #1137 of 1260 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 11:47 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)

Quote:
MontanaMan previously said: View Post
I am on my third winter, the tires probably have 20-25K miles on them, they have worn unimpressively quick, most likely from the hot summer roads and constant up and down hill use. All the factory siping is gone, the ice and compact snow traction is Poor... I have not gone and had them siped but they definitely need it. I am going back to my old ways of running a summer tire and a true dedicated ice snow radial for winter. More cost initially but longer tire life all around.
post #1138 of 1260 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 08:45 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
WaJohnZ previously said: View Post
I am on my third winter, the tires probably have 20-25K miles on them, they have worn unimpressively quick, most likely from the hot summer roads and constant up and down hill use. All the factory siping is gone, the ice and compact snow traction is Poor... I have not gone and had them siped but they definitely need it. I am going back to my old ways of running a summer tire and a true dedicated ice snow radial for winter. More cost initially but longer tire life all around.
What do you plan on running as a dedicated snow tire and in what size?

2012 FJ Cruiser, Silver Fresco Metallic, Convenience and Upgrade packages, Roof Rack, and Towing package, Toytec Boss 3" lift, Light Racing UCA, BMC, Warn Front and Rear Bumpers, Warn Zeon 10-s Winch, Factor 55 Flatlink and Winch Lock, OEM Rock Rails, MB 352 16 X 8.5 -6 offset Wheels, 305/70-16 Goodyear DuraTracs, PIAA 520 Series Driving Lights, Baja Rack Insert, Hi-Lift extreme, DeMello roof rack mounts, Scuba Mod, RCI Front, Transmission, Transfer Case, and Lower Control Arm Skids, Red Line Land Cruiser Lower Link Skids, Ellis Precision Shifter Knobs, Heated Seats, Boztec CB mount, 3' Firestik, Midland 75-822 CB Radio, Garmin Nuvi 500 GPS, hood decal blackout, 10 lb. CO2 PowerTank
post #1139 of 1260 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage

Thanks for the info guys! I may just have to run two sets of tires as well, because I definitely need a strong performer on the winter roads here in Montana. I also do a lot of winter highway driving through Wyoming and North Dakota with my job, including pulling a loaded trailer from time to time. The Cooper AT3's and the Grabber AT2's really look like decent winter tires, but I imagine their off road performance isn’t tops. Anyone running the Hankook DynaPro ATM or the Nitto Exo or Terra Grapplers? They look like good winter tires as well, but still not strong off road performers I imagine. Maybe Duratracs for summer and one of the above for winter? I’ve been looking for an excuse to buy a set of those sweet black TDR Pro wheels – I could run those with the Duratracs…

2013 Army Green, 5sp AT, Off Road Package
post #1140 of 1260 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 09:59 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

If I was going to run winter and summer sets my summer set would be full MT's. Probably Open Country MT's. My struggle is what is a good winter tire that will not look goofy on a lifts FJ...?

2012 FJ Cruiser, Silver Fresco Metallic, Convenience and Upgrade packages, Roof Rack, and Towing package, Toytec Boss 3" lift, Light Racing UCA, BMC, Warn Front and Rear Bumpers, Warn Zeon 10-s Winch, Factor 55 Flatlink and Winch Lock, OEM Rock Rails, MB 352 16 X 8.5 -6 offset Wheels, 305/70-16 Goodyear DuraTracs, PIAA 520 Series Driving Lights, Baja Rack Insert, Hi-Lift extreme, DeMello roof rack mounts, Scuba Mod, RCI Front, Transmission, Transfer Case, and Lower Control Arm Skids, Red Line Land Cruiser Lower Link Skids, Ellis Precision Shifter Knobs, Heated Seats, Boztec CB mount, 3' Firestik, Midland 75-822 CB Radio, Garmin Nuvi 500 GPS, hood decal blackout, 10 lb. CO2 PowerTank

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in