Tire Rotation Question - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tire Rotation Question

This might be a dumb thing but i just went to rotate my tires and absolutely could not get my front drivers side wheel off. I know that the rear wheels are sometimes hard to get off, but not the fronts. Any hints on how to jar them loose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Re: Tire Rotation Question

break the nuts free, lift the tire, take the nuts off, kick the tire until free.

-Mark

08' Black Diamond FJ

View my build
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ml#post1145216
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 61 Post(s)

I just rotated mine today too. Man was it a B!TCH!!! All 4 were stuck to rotors. The fronts were definately worse than the back. The front passenger for me was the worst of them all. And according to the records it's only been 8k miles!
My two tips:
1) If you look through the wheel, you'll see 6 little spaces between the wheel and the rotor, they're about half an inch wide and spaced evenly around the wheel. Use some penetrating spray with the little straw thingy and put a squirt or two in each.(Put a rag inside the wheel to catch anything that runs out)
2) Use a block of 2x4 and a sledge hammer to pound on the wheel from the back side. Just keep rotating and hitting until it pops off. When you get discouraged, take a break for a few minutes them try again. Mine finally broke free after my second break.

Then when I put them back on, I used anti-sieze not just on the threads but also on the surface of the rotor where the wheel touches and around the circular collar in the middle that touches the inside edge of the wheel.

Good Luck!

2007 VooDoo 4x4 Auto - LOADED
OEM Roof Rack, TRD Exhaust
Ricochet bash plate, PureFJ sliders
Manik brush guard w/ Blitz 240s
Add'l 12v outlets, Scuba Mod, Amaesing hood decal.
08-09 side sun visors
265 Duratrac's on Raceline Rockcrusher. Bilstein 5100's front and long travel rear.
Backup Camera w/ 7" monitor
Power rear window mod
Hemi71cuda's Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The dealership guys do it "gently" by smacking the bejesus out of the inside of the tire with a sledge hammer. You know, safe and good for the sidewall at the same time.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I've had this problem on other vehicles and I've found that taking a wire brush to the mating surfaces and applying a thin coat of anti-seize solves the problem.

DEWFPO

2007 FJ, 5AT, Sun Fusion Yellow, CQ, UP, GY, RB, 2Q, EL, VS.

Engine Block Heater, '08 Cyclone Pre-Filter, Dual horns, Phillips Osram 70W/65W H4's, RockBlocker and 3M Clear Film, Toyota RearSight Backup Camera, Ultra-Gauge MX 1.3.

"Enjoying the Journey"

"Wanted - young, skinny, wiry fellows, not over 18. Must be expert riders willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred"
Original newspaper add placed by William Hepburn Russell, founder of the The Pony Express
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

A little anti-sieze goes a long way on the mating surface of the back of the wheel to the hub, but I've never used it on a lug nut and studs. It can affect your torque readings when you use a torque wrench on the lugs.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 78 Post(s)

Quote:
MikeH previously said: View Post
A little anti-sieze goes a long way on the mating surface of the back of the wheel to the hub, but I've never used it on a lug nut and studs. It can affect your torque readings when you use a torque wrench on the lugs.
I've used it on both the wheel/hub surfaces and the lug nuts. Again, I am just talking about a very thin coat. Yes it will affect your torques settings since the lug is now 'lubed', but the good news is my wheels always come off easily and one had never loosened up or fallen off.

DEWFPO

2007 FJ, 5AT, Sun Fusion Yellow, CQ, UP, GY, RB, 2Q, EL, VS.

Engine Block Heater, '08 Cyclone Pre-Filter, Dual horns, Phillips Osram 70W/65W H4's, RockBlocker and 3M Clear Film, Toyota RearSight Backup Camera, Ultra-Gauge MX 1.3.

"Enjoying the Journey"

"Wanted - young, skinny, wiry fellows, not over 18. Must be expert riders willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred"
Original newspaper add placed by William Hepburn Russell, founder of the The Pony Express
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

My old 4runner used to do this even with anti seize there is an easy way to get them off. Loosen all of your lug nuts then tighten them up finger tight. Lower your truck back to the ground turn the wheel to full lock in both directions. Jack your truck back up take the lug nuts off, and the wheel will come right off.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Forum Superstar

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Quote:
mshook316 previously said: View Post
This might be a dumb thing but i just went to rotate my tires and absolutely could not get my front drivers side wheel off. I know that the rear wheels are sometimes hard to get off, but not the fronts. Any hints on how to jar them loose?
Not sure why the FJ wheels stick, but they do.

When I bought my Hankooks last year, the crew at America's tire had to repeatedly hit the original right front tire with a heavy club (think baseball bat) to get it loose after the lugs were removed. Glad I didn't have to do that myself in order to replace a flat while on the road. I bought my FJ w/19k miles on it and the wheels had never been removed (as far as I know) before I bought these tires (about 3 years and 30k miles after it was first sold). So, regular periodic rotation should alleviate the problem, which reminds me -- I need to rotate my Hankooks now!

Marty

2017 Summit White Chevy Bolt
2012 Charcoal Grey Metallic Mercedes ML350 4Matic
2008 Black Sapphire Metallic BMW 335i
2007 VooDoo Blue Toyota FJ Cruiser 6MT - Bought 04/11/14 SOLD 3/4/17
2007 Titanium Metallic Toyota FJ Cruiser AT - Bought in May 2007. SOLD 9/9/11
2002 Island Blue Ford F250 4x4 7.3L TD SC LB Lariat
2002 Absolutely Red Toyota MR2 Spyder

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in