I know it has been asked, but... - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Garage
Supporting Member
Re: I know it has been asked, but...

Hydro556

I have the front of the truck lifted to just level it. I do not have any rub issues at all and I have wheeled the truck quite a lot. maybe the way that I explained the orig post was not correct. I do not think there would be any rub issues with this size tire 265/75R-16 with a stock offset wheel even if the truck was not leveled. hope that helps

JKFJ08

08 TI Off Road Package 6112's,5160's Toytec HD super flex,REZV FAB Upper,lower links, panhard bar, Light Racing UCA'S Wheeler's Bump Stops Toy Outfitters tube bumper, Trail Gear sliders, Trail gear transfer skid,All Pro IFS Skid,All Pro Trans Skid,All Pro E Locker Skid,TC Link Armor,ScanGuageII, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust ,Cobra 75, Bandi Mount,Scuba Mod, High Lift, Duratrac 285/75R16's,Konig Counter steer wheels,Warn 9.5TI, Pul Pal, Baja Utility Rack,ARB Simson II RTT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
JKFJ08 previously said: View Post
Hydro556

I have the front of the truck lifted to just level it. I do not have any rub issues at all and I have wheeled the truck quite a lot. maybe the way that I explained the orig post was not correct. I do not think there would be any rub issues with this size tire 265/75R-16 with a stock offset wheel even if the truck was not leveled. hope that helps

JKFJ08
Thanks for clarifying JFK. I did not mean to sound short. I am just getting very frustrated with the lack of clarity concerning what can be run, on a stock FJ, with stock wheels without excessive rubbing.

I just dont want to be stuck with a factory 265 sized mud tire, if I can go bigger. I am really kind of shocked that I may have to stick with the tiny 265's. They just look way too small and do not feel the wheel wells up for that beefier look, in addition to limiting off road capability in a truck that has the technology to be very capable. Not being able to fill the wheel wells with some 285's (without having to lift the truck) seems like a poor decision by the manufacturer. I am okay with Toyota shipping the trucks with 265's for economic and durability issues, but they should have designed in enough clearance for people to beef up the tire size.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 09:06 PM
CT7
Forum Regular

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

From reading many posts on this issue, the difference between the 265s and 285s is negligible, but noticeable for some. You get about an inch of height and an inch of width.

If you're really looking to fill the wheel well, go with the 285s and get the body mount chop and you'll be good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
CT7 previously said: View Post
From reading many posts on this issue, the difference between the 265s and 285s is negligible, but noticeable for some. You get about an inch of height and an inch of width.

If you're really looking to fill the wheel well, go with the 285s and get the body mount chop and you'll be good.
Yup.......

Your only option is 285s...

265/75 16 = 31.6 10.4
285/75 16 = 32.8 11.2

The body chop should eliminate all rubbing issues with 285s as long as you are running the factory wheels.

Why are you so set on not getting a lift? Mine drives better with my current lift and tires than it did stock. Sure gas mileage is a little worse, but it's less of a change than most people think...
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
hydro556 previously said: View Post

I am not going to lift the truck. But I may consider the body mount mod, if it is pretty easy and doesnt affect my whole warranty.

Please clarify what you did to clear the 285's, as these are the size I really want, assuming I dont have excessive rubbing without having to lift.
I did not have the body mount chop done when I wounted them at first that is what rubbed. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

2007 Black Cherry AT
3" OME lift
GoodYear Dura Trac 285/70/17
Richocet Airdam with HID lights
Metal Tech front tube bumper w 9" Hella Illuminators
Domello Hybrid Sliders
Ricochet Skids
Scuba Mod
Rear Flood Lights
Onboard air
Overhead Console w/ Homelink, Maplight
Cobra CB w/ Bandi Mount
XM radio
Afe CAI
Afe TBS
JBA exhaust
Tinted front windows
Heated seats

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

So it is pretty much accepted that one can run 285's with only a body mount chop? If so I will go this route assuming the chop is pretty easy. Can someone point me to a link on how this is done? Does it affect warranty?

This is good news to me. I really want the 285s. Thanks.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Anybody got any pics and a tutorial on the body chop?
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 07:05 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Garage
Supporting Member

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ount-chop.html

See if this link works.

08 TI Off Road Package 6112's,5160's Toytec HD super flex,REZV FAB Upper,lower links, panhard bar, Light Racing UCA'S Wheeler's Bump Stops Toy Outfitters tube bumper, Trail Gear sliders, Trail gear transfer skid,All Pro IFS Skid,All Pro Trans Skid,All Pro E Locker Skid,TC Link Armor,ScanGuageII, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust ,Cobra 75, Bandi Mount,Scuba Mod, High Lift, Duratrac 285/75R16's,Konig Counter steer wheels,Warn 9.5TI, Pul Pal, Baja Utility Rack,ARB Simson II RTT
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Thanks, I will check it out.

Have any of you done this? Was it easy? Are you happy with it after having it done for a while. Can anyone say definitively that it clears 285's reasonably well off road?

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in